• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Those "plentiful" key issues...
1 1

150 posts in this topic

Great discussion so far here! I'm in the camp that thinks variants / manufactured-rarities on random non-key books will not last. I'm pretty surprised when I see big bucks get spent on modern books with no relevance other than a cool cover by an artist with a limited print run (perceived or real). I don't want to put down any purchases other boardies may have made (and this is just my opinion), but I just don't see an ASM667 Dell'Otto (or Jean Grey #1 JSC RoadShow Exclusive, or Black Cat JSC cover) keeping that kind of price in 5-10 years. These books don't have the content that comics have typically derived value from (usually first appearances or some other historical significance). All they have is rarity / low-supply, where demand outstrips that supply, but that demand being fed (in varying degrees) by speculators.

We've seen an incredible run over the last 8-9 years in comics, which has coincided with a great run in the economy / stock market since the Great Financial Crisis. Once the next mini-recession comes and this low-interest-rate-fueled "good times" comes to an end, I can't see people paying thousands of dollars for these kinds of books. It might continue to go up now and in the near future as the good times keep on rollin', but I do think eventually the party will stop, and that's when I think the bottom can fall out here for books that don't have the usual "fundamentals" of value.

42 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Like all those sportscards that are worth real money are the most part rookie key refractors and not just generic refractors,so I could see it being the key variant comics over the non-key variant comics.

Agree with this - the cards that have gone up are "keys" (rookie cards), not limited print runs / variants of random scrub players (which I think is a closer analogy to these non-key variants)

Just my 2 cents.

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I don't see the non-key variant comics ever taking off.

I think the litmus test will be in another 10 years with the current Valiant Entertainment books.

How much will folks be able to sell their full set of limited 1:10 X-O Manowar volume 2 # 1-20 editions when they're currently on volume 4?

I'm not sure what point this makes when those books are currently $5 to $10.  The most you can lose is $5 to $10. hm

On 8/21/2017 at 10:42 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I guess sportscards have made a major comeback as a collectible.

Not to derail, but that shocked the heck out of me.  Last time I looked to see if cards were worth anything, the answer was 'lol, no'.  You could find a Jerry Rice mint card for  a few bucks.  Then card grading gets added, raising costs, and it became a $300 card.

35 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

Not to derail, but that shocked the heck out of me.  Last time I looked to see if cards were worth anything, the answer was 'lol, no'.  You could find a Jerry Rice mint card for  a few bucks.  Then card grading gets added, raising costs, and it became a $300 card.

Most copies of Jerry Rice rookie card get graded at an 8 (out of 10), which is about $50.

On 8/22/2017 at 12:30 PM, CKinTO said:

Great discussion so far here! I'm in the camp that thinks variants / manufactured-rarities on random non-key books will not last. I'm pretty surprised when I see big bucks get spent on modern books with no relevance other than a cool cover by an artist with a limited print run (perceived or real). I don't want to put down any purchases other boardies may have made (and this is just my opinion), but I just don't see an ASM667 Dell'Otto (or Jean Grey #1 JSC RoadShow Exclusive, or Black Cat JSC cover) keeping that kind of price in 5-10 years. These books don't have the content that comics have typically derived value from (usually first appearances or some other historical significance). All they have is rarity / low-supply, where demand outstrips that supply, but that demand being fed (in varying degrees) by speculators.

I would think low-supply rare books would have more lasting value than something that relies on the ups and downs of trends. For example, a variant copy of ASM that only had a few hundred issues printed would probably be a safer investment than a Venom issue that gets hot from a movie then dies down.

Either way, you won't find me buying either one.  That ASM Dell'otto is money that could be better spent on a GSX #1 9.8.  Or she-venom from sinner takes all #3 is a perfect example of a book that went from $2 to $50 and will probably end up back down to $20 after the venom movie releases.  

On 8/16/2017 at 7:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Yes, diamonds are valuable, but unlike AF 15's, they are so common that they have actually dropped down significantly in value over the past few decades.  :gossip:

I remembered being in an jewelry store with my wife and sister-in-law who's so much more into diamonds.  She was interested in one that the owner told her was worth $240K which my sister-in-law insisted would be a good investment.  I kept asking the owner how much this particular diamond would have sold for back in the 80's and she kept trying to avoid the question.  She finally relented and said that it would have sold for something much closer to $500K back then, but that diamonds was always a good "emotional" investment.  Needless to say, my ill-informed sister-in-law was totally :whatthe::whatthe: , but it was good to see that the owner was honest since I already knew the severe downward trend for diamond valuations.  (thumbsu

bluenile basically ebayed diamonds. jewelers can't just make sh*t up. anybody can get a sense of what the market price is.

On 8/16/2017 at 7:24 PM, kav said:

I first learned about the non value of diamonds when I was in a pawn shop and a lady came in to sell her one carat engagement ring and he offered her $50.  Wouldn't go a penny higher.  

It was probably a ZZZZ grade with a crack in it. problem is a pawn shop is not really in a good position to evaluate. like comics, many diamonds are graded now.