• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low price keys that aren't very popular?

16 posts in this topic

Since we're in the Modern Age section, I think it's valid to say that there are very very few actual keys in the Modern Age.  That may change someday.  But "key issues" are usually identified later... sometimes much later... based on how much history a new character (or storyline) can build up over time.

There are tons of Modern Age books which sellers will claim are a "key issue" saying "get it now before it goes up"... but if they were telling the truth, they would wait to sell.

23 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Since we're in the Modern Age section, I think it's valid to say that there are very very few actual keys in the Modern Age.  That may change someday.  But "key issues" are usually identified later... sometimes much later... based on how much history a new character (or storyline) can build up over time.

There are tons of Modern Age books which sellers will claim are a "key issue" saying "get it now before it goes up"... but if they were telling the truth, they would wait to sell.

So there is a chance that a few of these new sets #1 issues might actually be more then cgc labels them as? 

11 minutes ago, JcomicJ said:

So there is a chance that a few of these new sets #1 issues might actually be more then cgc labels them as? 

Sure, there's always a chance that a book is far more important than what's mentioned on the CGC label... but I think I'm saying that "key issues" aren't driven by a #1 on the cover or a first appearance inside.  They're driven by looking at the historical impact of a character (or storyline).  When books are new, they have no historical impact.  They only have potential... and very, very few of the books with potential end up winners.  It's similar to how many rookies are in a sport every year compared to how many will make the hall of fame. 

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

If it wasn't popular, it wouldn't be a true key.

Wrong (at least mostly).

Anyway, it's very difficult to accurately measure popularity and the reason for it. Price can't properly reflect it because it's influenced by many other factors.

3 hours ago, JcomicJ said:

Are there any modern key issues that aren't very popular or rarely get seen in a slab?

Quantum and Woody #1 (first Quantum and Woody) & #3 (first Goat)

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Quantum+and+Woody&publisher=Acclaim&issue=1&year=1997&issuedate=6%2F97

https://www.cgccomics.com/census/grades_standard.asp?title=Quantum+and+Woody&publisher=Acclaim&issue=3&year=1997&issuedate=8%2F97

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps
Links to census

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Sure, there's always a chance that a book is far more important than what's mentioned on the CGC label... but I think I'm saying that "key issues" aren't driven by a #1 on the cover or a first appearance inside.  They're driven by looking at the historical impact of a character (or storyline).  When books are new, they have no historical impact.  They only have potential... and very, very few of the books with potential end up winners.  It's similar to how many rookies are in a sport every year compared to how many will make the hall of fame. 

42 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Wrong (at least mostly).

Anyway, it's very difficult to accurately measure popularity and the reason for it. Price can't properly reflect it because it's influenced by many other factors.

I'm still very new to collecting cgc grades but I mainly go off art and personal interests so I still have alot to learn. I enjoy how helpful everyone here is because there were a few extra #1 issues I was kinda torn to get graded because they weren't going in for sentimental value like the others do but its the thought that they may be special is a good positive that I never thought  to think about.

24 minutes ago, JcomicJ said:

I'm still very new to collecting cgc grades but I mainly go off art and personal interests so I still have alot to learn. I enjoy how helpful everyone here is because there were a few extra #1 issues I was kinda torn to get graded because they weren't going in for sentimental value like the others do but its the thought that they may be special is a good positive that I never thought  to think about.

GPAnalysis.com is totally worth the price if you're going to be spending even $100 on CGC graded comics... either submitting your own or buying them already graded.  Deciding not to grade even one book can save you $30+, and GPAnalysis can give you the information you need to make that decision.  Not overpaying for books already graded is the other benefit.  Depending upon your interests, it can save you thousands of dollars in overpaying.

11 minutes ago, valiantman said:

GPAnalysis.com is totally worth the price if you're going to be spending even $100 on CGC graded comics... either submitting your own or buying them already graded.  Deciding not to grade even one book can save you $30+, and GPAnalysis can give you the information you need to make that decision.  Not overpaying for books already graded is the other benefit.  Depending upon your interests, it can save you thousands of dollars in overpaying.

I didn't know this was thing ?

1 minute ago, JcomicJ said:

I didn't know this was thing ?

There's a lot of information on that site.  $657million in sales records for 2,400,000 CGC graded books back to 2002.  I don't think there's any better way to learn about that market.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Was the name of this thread changed to include "low price"? I didn't notice it before, and my Q&W suggestion doesn't apply in that respect. But def key, and def low # of slabs

its low price compared to alot of other keys xD

11 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Was the name of this thread changed to include "low price"? I didn't notice it before, and my Q&W suggestion doesn't apply in that respect. But def key, and def low # of slabs

There are comic shops which don't know what Quantum & Woody is... and don't have any idea that they have any.  It's possible to get them for very low prices in the right 20 year old bargain bins. :grin:

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

There are comic shops which don't know what Quantum & Woody is... and don't have any idea that they have any.  It's possible to get them for very low prices in the right 20 year old bargain bins. :grin:

I guess I was just considering the low price to be in conjunction with slabs. Sure, ungraded books in the wild can be cheap. Pretty sure I pulled my 9.8 of 1 & 3 from convention dollar boxes.