• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

**** Case Swap video Real?
2 2

71 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

There is an interesting discussion going on Voldy .   I am not providing any link or any other information.   The video has been pulled but you can still see if some searching.   Anyway, it shows how to easily swap a label similar to when Comic Keys showed it.   The only reason I bring it up here is that we are all in this hobby together and anything that is nefarious is bad for us all.

I saw the video, and I believe it's the difference between when CGC had the label "loose" at the top of the slab and when they started "crimping" the label on the edge so that it couldn't be removed.  Even though CGC corrected this problem years ago, there have always been CGC slabs which were "pre-crimping"... so we've never escaped the potential that a CGC label could be swapped on older slabs.

39 minutes ago, wormboy said:

IMO The new CGC case would not be vulnerable to this kind of tampering. The thing is hard to crack even when you don't care about the damage showing.

+ 1 - I've yet to get the inner well out of new/new cased book without the outer well being split into 6-10 pieces.  As far as just replacing the label, not sure how easy that would be, but I don't think you could do it without very evident tampering/damage.  I've got about 10 to crack out right now, so I'll probably give it a test, but I'm not optimistic that it could be done and look very good.

1 hour ago, spidermanbeyond said:

Yes, new CGC cases are very hard to open without signs of cracking. The old CGC cases much easier.  

I had one new case today that was a total biotch - had about 30 pieces/chunks from the back side of the outer well.  The glue they use down the sides and on the bottom of the case is way stronger than the outer well material.

I did about four versions of the older slabs today too, and they all came apart quite easily, but I'm not sure that any of them would be considered "no evidence of tampering".

Edited by lizards2

And, my post is hidden because I used the dreaded word and not Voldy.

This is what I wrote:

On 8/14/2017 at 3:17 PM, spidermanbeyond said:

Hi Guys,

There is an interesting discussion going on Voldy .   I am not providing any link or any other information.   The video has been pulled but you can still see if some searching.   Anyway, it shows how to easily swap a label similar to when Comic Keys showed it.   The only reason I bring it up here is that we are all in this hobby together and anything that is nefarious is bad for us all.

I've read bits and pieces of the discussion and as with all discussions, there is more than one side to it.

From what I've gathered the person who initially posted the video (and I assume made it) was someone who had a gripe with Voldy and some people chalked it up to sour grapes.

A con will try to game any system when there is money to be scammed from someone. Deal with people you trust and do your homework, especially when spending big money on books.

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

This is what I wrote:

I've read bits and pieces of the discussion and as with all discussions, there is more than one side to it.

From what I've gathered the person who initially posted the video (and I assume made it) was someone who had a gripe with Voldy and some people chalked it up to sour grapes.

A con will try to game any system when there is money to be scammed from someone. Deal with people you trust and do your homework, especially when spending big money on books.

How is there more than one side to this?

What he's showing in the video isn't exactly news - I've cracked a ton of Voldemort slabs for customers who wanted their books CGC'ed instead and it's insanely easy to open up their case and put it back together again without it leaving any noticeable marks. It's always been one of the reasons I've stayed well clear of their books (well, that & the rampant over-grading straight out the gate when they launched).

I agree.  I saw the video and it seems like he just showing how easy it is to open and not attacking any company.  I have mainly CGC slabs but few others and  would like to know if my case is vulnerable to manipulation.  People who crack regularly know.  I have never cracked one yet.  Joey posted how easy it was too.  No one listening until someone posted a video.

17 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I had one new case today that was a total biotch - had about 30 pieces/chunks from the back side of the outer well.  The glue they use down the sides and on the bottom of the case is way stronger than the outer well material.

I did about four versions of the older slabs today too, and they all came apart quite easily, but I'm not sure that any of them would be considered "no evidence of tampering".

I have bled more cracking the new CGC case then I did playing hockey.

6 minutes ago, spidermanbeyond said:

I agree.  I saw the video and it seems like he just showing how easy it is to open and not attacking any company.  I have mainly CGC slabs but few others and  would like to know if my case is vulnerable to manipulation.  People who crack regularly know.  I have never cracked one yet.  Joey posted how easy it was too.  No one listening until someone posted a video.

I have been saying that for quite some time. Took a video to bring it to light. I figured it was not a big deal since the label was sealed into the inner well with the book, but some are second guessing that.

12 hours ago, VintageComics said:

This is what I wrote:

You've gathered wrong - the person doesn't have a gripe with Voldy, never did. I don't think he's ever used them at all.

10 minutes ago, joeypost said:
18 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I have bled more cracking the new CGC case then I did playing hockey.

I had a worse one today.  I was beginning to wonder if I could get the book out of the outer well without damaging it. 

It's almost like CGC is seriously entombing books for eternity, and which will never see the world again.

4 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

You've gathered wrong - the person doesn't have a gripe with Voldy, never did. I don't think he's ever used them at all.

As I said, I don't' know the whole story.  I only read bits and pieces online.

Following Facebook discussions is near impossible to do without losing your mind.

12 hours ago, VintageComics said:

This is what I wrote:

LOL....I didn't know I had a grip with anyone. Funny thing is at first I was telling myself "I don't know who this Vodly is" thinking it was a board name of someone...not knowing it's what people call the competition. lmao

And here's the video since someone said it was pulled down and couldn't find it:  

Oh...and next I have an easy way to crack open the new CGC cases which I'll post since some people say that they have a hard time doing it.  (But there is clear evidence when you open a CGC slab). I'll post a video of that once I have a blue label that needs to be cracked out.