• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

**** Case Swap video Real?
2 2

71 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, martini25 said:
On 8/26/2017 at 0:49 PM, Kevlar said:

Well numbers on a book would devalue the book itself.

I've always wondered why books don't have their own numbering, say "#2 /100" when printed and it could be next to the bar code or somewhere near that. This would levitate from anyone thinking one book was swapped for another and every book would be unique.

I'm glad I don't have levitating books - those would be hard to manage.

3 hours ago, martini25 said:
On 8/26/2017 at 3:49 PM, Kevlar said:

Well numbers on a book would devalue the book itself.

I've always wondered why books don't have their own numbering, say "#2 /100" when printed and it could be next to the bar code or somewhere near that. This would levitate from anyone thinking one book was swapped for another and every book would be unique.

Time, money, logistics. Lots of reasons.

And adding yet another task to the grading process would just increase the time and price of the service unrealistically.

Would people really want all of their books serial numbered when the majority of books slabbed or relatively inexpensive moderns?

We've also had the discussion of invisibly marking books on this forum over the years. Most people don't want their books marked or tampered with.

It's unfortunate but there is no clear cut solution at this point to thievery and fraud except for nabbing people who do it after the fact.

10 hours ago, martini25 said:

Some books do have that...usually small print runs thought. Not going to do that on a title that has 80,000 copies.

Thanks!  Definitely will try this method - looks way easy!

Cute accent...., where you from?

22 minutes ago, Kevlar said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Thanks!  Definitely will try this method - looks way easy!

Cute accent...., where you from?

Originally Wisconsin

I'll have to listen again.  I have relatives in Minnesota and Wisconsin, but it sounded mutedly Canadian or something at first blush...., :blush:

1 minute ago, lizards2 said:

I'll have to listen again.  I have relatives in Minnesota and Wisconsin, but it sounded mutedly Canadian or something at first blush...., :blush:

I don't sound like that eh?

Diaper hoser. :foryou:

1 minute ago, Kevlar said:

Northern Wisconsinites and Yoopers...we kinda sound like our neighbors to the North.

We had some yoopers at my work, but they fled to Milwaukee....,

Well this is yet another disappointment with their product.  I've had a few issues with their processes and slabs but this is pretty severe and condemning.  One of their main advertising points was the tamper protection and tamper-proofing of their slabs.  While I do like their cases and the fact that they seal the label in the inner-well as this video proves, that is pretty weak if the case can easily be popped off.  Not sure if that case is among 1st or 2nd or 3rd generation cases as I know they've gone through a few changes, but if that's current, that's bad.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, justafan said:

Well this is yet another disappointment with their product.  I've had a few issues with their processes and slabs but this is pretty severe and condemning.  One of their main advertising points was the tamper protection and tamper-proofing of their slabs.  While I do like their cases and the fact that they seal the label in the inner-well as this video proves, that is pretty weak if the case can easily be popped off.  Not sure if that case is among 1st or 2nd or 3rd generation cases as I know they've gone through a few changes, but if that's current, that's bad.

These are completely tamper proof.  They don't say that they aren't able to be opened....they need to be opened if needed. Tamper proof means that if they are opened, it is readily apparent that the case has been tampered with.

There's nothing bad about this. I was demonstrating how to do it easier as many people find that the cases crack across and are unable to pull the inner well out.

If you are looking for a PERMANENT slab solution, there isn't one. You need to be able to open a slab for a number or reasons: 1) if you want to get a book signed, 2) if you want to have a book pressed and then regarded to see if pressing increases the grade of the book, 3) if you drop a slab and it cracks, or you accidentally scratch the front and want to have a new holder that isn't scratched so a book can be on display....and there are some other reasons.

12 hours ago, Kevlar said:

These are completely tamper proof.  They don't say that they aren't able to be opened....they need to be opened if needed. Tamper proof means that if they are opened, it is readily apparent that the case has been tampered with.

There's nothing bad about this. I was demonstrating how to do it easier as many people find that the cases crack across and are unable to pull the inner well out.

If you are looking for a PERMANENT slab solution, there isn't one. You need to be able to open a slab for a number or reasons: 1) if you want to get a book signed, 2) if you want to have a book pressed and then regarded to see if pressing increases the grade of the book, 3) if you drop a slab and it cracks, or you accidentally scratch the front and want to have a new holder that isn't scratched so a book can be on display....and there are some other reasons.

I beg to differ. This does not sit at all well with me.  The fact that voldys cases can be opened and closed with little indication that they had been opened at all is what I would consider to be tampering. Semantics aside, you've still demonstrated a grave flaw in their cases being able to preserve the integrity and confidence in the grade. 

When I buy a graded comic I'm not only buying the trust in the opinion of the graders and protection of the encapsulation, but I'm also buying the integrity of the case that the comic and label have not been compromised. Otherwise, why would I ever buy a graded comic 2nd hand? 

8 hours ago, justafan said:

I beg to differ. This does not sit at all well with me.  The fact that voldys cases can be opened and closed with little indication that they had been opened at all is what I would consider to be tampering. Semantics aside, you've still demonstrated a grave flaw in their cases being able to preserve the integrity and confidence in the grade. 

When I buy a graded comic I'm not only buying the trust in the opinion of the graders and protection of the encapsulation, but I'm also buying the integrity of the case that the comic and label have not been compromised. Otherwise, why would I ever buy a graded comic 2nd hand? 

I don't get what you're complaining about here. Kevlar is just demonstrating how to open the CGC case without slicing and mangling yourself in the process. These cases are wicked hard to get open and when finally opened it's obvious they have been due to the case cracking and broken posts. You can't re-assemble them cleanly so I don't get what your issue is. This is completely different than Voldy's cases that can be simply popped open and popped back closed without being able to tell they have been. Where's the "grave flaw"?

Edited by BeachBum