• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

**** Case Swap video Real?
2 2

71 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

I don't get what you're complaining about here. Kevlar is just demonstrating how to open the CGC case without slicing and mangling yourself in the process. These cases are wicked hard to get open and when finally opened it's obvious they have been due to the case cracking and broken posts. You can't re-assemble them cleanly so I don't get what your issue is. This is completely different than Voldy's cases that can be simply popped open and popped back closed without being able to tell they have been. Where's the "grave flaw"?

But he put it in the case swap label thread which confuses people... ???

@justafan was probably only talking about voldy.... As they are the only ones where you can swap label

NOT THE CGC CASES justafan sorry for the confusion

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

4 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

But he put it in the case swap label thread which confuses people... ???

@justafan was probably only talking about voldy.... As they are the only ones where you can swap label

NOT THE CGC CASES justafan sorry for the confusion

Yes, thank you Adamantium for clearing that up. Sorry for the misunderstanding, Kevlar. My disappointments and comments had to do with voldy's cases, not CGC's. I'm very pleased with the level of difficulty and tamper evident cracking the new CGC cases are.  I am also appreciative of the safer, easier method of cracking the CGC cases provided. (thumbsu

On 8/29/2017 at 2:48 PM, Kevlar said:

For those who want to see how to easily crack out a CGC case:

Thanks Kevlar! I've been having a heck of a time getting the new CGC slabs open, finding dozens of plastic splinters on the floor for days/weeks after opening. Your method looks like it will resolve that problem.

I do have two concerns.

One, when you give it that little twist in the beginning, are you worried about creating any spine stress to the book? I realize it's still in the inner well, and it's a light twist, but I'm always worried about damaging the book (maybe too worried?).

Two, I've always tried to completely separate the two sides of the slab for fear of scratching the book while pulling it out of the top as you show (which seems much easier). Again, I know it's in the inner well, but those cracked edges are oftentimes jagged, and I worry about making any impression on the book as it's removed.

Am I overly concerned? Have you ever accidentally damaged a book while removing it from the slab?

in any case, thanks for the video - very helpful trick with the screwdriver.

1 hour ago, wormboy said:

Thanks Kevlar! I've been having a heck of a time getting the new CGC slabs open, finding dozens of plastic splinters on the floor for days/weeks after opening. Your method looks like it will resolve that problem.

I do have two concerns.

One, when you give it that little twist in the beginning, are you worried about creating any spine stress to the book? I realize it's still in the inner well, and it's a light twist, but I'm always worried about damaging the book (maybe too worried?).

Two, I've always tried to completely separate the two sides of the slab for fear of scratching the book while pulling it out of the top as you show (which seems much easier). Again, I know it's in the inner well, but those cracked edges are oftentimes jagged, and I worry about making any impression on the book as it's removed.

Am I overly concerned? Have you ever accidentally damaged a book while removing it from the slab?

in any case, thanks for the video - very helpful trick with the screwdriver.

That twist doesn't touch the book...but just like anything you have to be careful when doing it.

I have never damaged a book removing it from the slab like in the video. The inner well doesn't touch the outter well anywhere when removing it...and even if it does, the top doesn't get slab like the sides do when the sides of the slab break.

Voldy did announce that they will be placing a seal over the hologram that sticks it to the inner well plastic from now on. So in theory you can not pull a label out without damaging the hologram.

There are no plans on changing the case itself however. So take that for what it is worth.

Edited by drotto