• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm kind of angry about an Ebay transaction

47 posts in this topic

I've got over 700 feedbacks with only one neutral.  Until today.  I got another one.

When I sell things, Ebay automatically indicates the turn-around time on the seller form.  It says 2 to 3 business days.  I'd like to figure out how to change it (my default setting), but I've been just living with EBay's selection of my turn around time.  I'm not a professional seller...this is my hobby.

I sold a book to a guy and couldn't ship it until the 4th business day.  I shipped a slabbed comic in a Priority box.  I didn't have packing peanuts, so I used paper towels, as I have done many times.   I actually prefer them because they are cheaper and do a good job.

The guy wrote me and asked me where his book was on the fifth business day, and I informed him that I'd sent it the previous day.  I believe I entered the tracking info before he asked, but can't be sure of the timing.

A day later, he informed me he got the book, but said I didn't have enough padding in there.  But the book arrived fine, and it was insured in the event that it was damaged. 

So the guy gives me a neutral, said that I was "full of excuses", that the book was poorly packaged and "luckily" arrived in good condition.

I know by posting this I'm opening up to criticism, but I wanted to vent.  I had a legitimate delay in my shipping time and I will be changing my settings to a slower default shipping time when I figure out how to do it.  I sell books to fund my hobby.

I'd be frustrated, too... though changing the handling time is your best bet for sure if you're worried about not meeting it and having a delayed handling time happen in the future. His feedback doesn't seem exactly accurate based on the info you gave, but at least it wasn't a negative. 

I think up to three days is the max handling time. There is a note that pops up when you are listing that says if you want to use a longer handling time, there will be a separate notification to the buyer prior to their purchase that your handling time is beyond eBay's guidelines for sellers.

I would be annoyed as well.  Definitely call eBay and speak with a rep about the feedback.  Do it sooner than later and be sure to have your argument well organized before doing so.  It may be difficult since it took four days without the buyer being notified but its worth a shot.  The only thing I change with all this is using paper towels.  It probably does the job but if the package got wet you'd lose padding and the book would not be stable at all.  Personally, when I open a book I've spent decent money for I want to see the book very well packed.  The link below is to the bubblewrap I use.  That in conjunction with some packing peanuts or wadded newspaper (to prevent it from shifting) and the book is extremely secure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHRUV4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

26 minutes ago, Rhymenoceros said:

I'd be frustrated, too... though changing the handling time is your best bet for sure if you're worried about not meeting it and having a delayed handling time happen in the future. His feedback doesn't seem exactly accurate based on the info you gave, but at least it wasn't a negative. 

The thing that irks me is the "full of excuses" part.  What sucks about it is that he wrote me and said "it's all good" before writing that feedback.  What a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.  Seriously, I pride myself on being extremely honest.  I didn't think I needed any excuses since it was the fourth business day, and all I told him was that I had a family emergency (which I did). 

Does anyone remember when ebay was new and most sellers took a while getting out the shipments because we weren't all Ebay professionals...but rather just hobbyists who liked comics?

Full of excuses my Azz.  If that guy doesn't reverse his feedback, I'll out him here...it's the right thing to do. I can't leave feedback for him on Ebay, and  I don't want you guys to get dinged by him.  I wish I could retroactively block him.

5 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I would be annoyed as well.  Definitely call eBay and speak with a rep about the feedback.  Do it sooner than later and be sure to have your argument well organized before doing so.  It may be difficult since it took four days without the buyer being notified but its worth a shot.  The only thing I change with all this is using paper towels.  It probably does the job but if the package got wet you'd lose padding and the book would not be stable at all.  Personally, when I open a book I've spent decent money for I want to see the book very well packed.  The link below is to the bubblewrap I use.  That in conjunction with some packing peanuts or wadded newspaper (to prevent it from shifting) and the book is extremely secure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHRUV4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have to admit I didn't think about the getting wet part.  The towels otherwise work great, but your reply has made me reconsider.  I did insure the book (with my free shipping option) and would have refunded him if that happened though.  The book was a "widget", and not a precious piece of history.

Edited by Westy Steve

8 minutes ago, comicquant said:

That lady seem too happy. In fact, I've never seen anyone so happy about bubble-wrap.

33 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

That lady seem too happy. In fact, I've never seen anyone so happy about bubble-wrap.

I get that stuff for my wife all the time.  No better aphrodisiac than sacks of bubble-wrap laying about the house. :insane:

2 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I get that stuff for my wife all the time.  No better aphrodisiac than sacks of bubble-wrap laying about the house. :insane:

thick sacks.

The voice of experience. :whistle:

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:
1 hour ago, comicquant said:

I have to admit I didn't think about the getting wet part.  The towels otherwise work great, but your reply has made me reconsider.  I did insure the book (with my free shipping option) and would have refunded him if that happened though.  The book was a "widget", and not a precious piece of history.

I just got a box in with those natural packing peanuts that you can dissolve in water and run down the drain (rice-based?).  Never had a problem with them coming, or that I know of, going, but does make you wonder. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, I got a slab in last month that was totally swaddled in hospital diapers or pads of some kind - those things really would have sucked if they got wet.

You can never please buyers. I sold a cgc book that is graded a 9.8 but when he got it he started complaining that the book he bought has potential fraud as the sides of the case wasn't sealed which the 2nd generation was never sealed. There is a small, very small, hairline crack on one of the corners and he claimed that it looked glued. He questioned that the book doesn't look a 9.8 as there was a writing in on the front cover as well as the book looks more of a 9.4. So I had to inform him on the case as the case usually don't get sealed on the side for magazine size. Also I got the graders notes and provided that to him. I paid $10 too for this and it's not even my book anymore. He wasn't happy with it and still complained. After a day or so he decided to keep the book. 

Another TWOT buyer on feebay. 

TWOT = Total Waste Of Time

Packing peanuts are annoying lol but they're better than nothing and they work! Maybe still use a little bubble wrap so that packing peanuts don't go everywhere when they get their package.

1 hour ago, Rhymenoceros said:

This thread got me looking for deals on bubble wrap now. Ebay has some good stuff with free shipping for huge rolls if you look hard enough.  Also like 30 gallons of packing peanuts for $12 shipped. 

If you buy bubble wrap on eBay, does it come wrapped in bubble wrap?  :roflmao:

Edited by ExNihilo

25 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Packing peanuts are annoying lol but they're better than nothing and they work! Maybe still use a little bubble wrap so that packing peanuts don't go everywhere when they get their package.

I like to just crush blocks of styrofoam for packaging.  That way the recipient has that great static cling and particles everywhere that cannot be cleaned up easily.