• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant's QUANTUM AND WOODY TV Show (TBD)
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Joel McHale is reportedly in talks to star in Valiant's QUANTUM AND WOODY

woodyklang.jpg

Word has come down the wire that THE SOUP and COMMUNITY funnyman Joel McHale is in talks to join QUANTUM AND WOODY, the forthcoming superhero adventure television series that hails from the Valiant Comics universe. Spearheading the project are none other than Joe and Anthony Russo of Marvel film fame, who will bring their expertise in comic-to-screen adventure making for this new action comedy series.

The Wrap is saying that McHale would star as Woody Henderson - a wisecracking, womanizing slacker, who along with his straitlaced adoptive brother, is granted unpredictable superpowers from a pair of  energy control bands they find while investigating their father’s death. The two are now stuck with each other — they must “klang” the bands together every 24 hours or their powers will kill them.

Anthony and Joe Russo will act as executive producers in a paired partnership with Mike Larocca on the QUANTUM AND WOODY project. Furthermore, Valiant's Dinesh Shamdasani and writers Andrew Barrer and Gabriel Ferrari (ANT-MAN AND THE WASP) are set to write the -script.

6 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

:whee:(I've never even heard of Quantum and Woodylol)

Not surprising.  They first appeared in 1997 which was AFTER everyone left comics in the 1990s.  They only had about 25 issues (#0-#21 and #32, some trades) and they were gone before 2001.  Valiant revived Quantum & Woody in 2013 with a few different series.  First appearances occurred in Quantum & Woody #1 (1997) which has a drawn art cover (regular), a painted art cover (variant), and a retailer review (black and white cover and contents).   Quantum & Woody #3 (1997) has the first appearance of "the goat", which is a literal goat.  The series is a comedy, so the goat is... comedic. :kidaround:

23 hours ago, valiantman said:

Not surprising.  They first appeared in 1997 which was AFTER everyone left comics in the 1990s.  They only had about 25 issues (#0-#21 and #32, some trades) and they were gone before 2001.  Valiant revived Quantum & Woody in 2013 with a few different series.  First appearances occurred in Quantum & Woody #1 (1997) which has a drawn art cover (regular), a painted art cover (variant), and a retailer review (black and white cover and contents).   Quantum & Woody #3 (1997) has the first appearance of "the goat", which is a literal goat.  The series is a comedy, so the goat is... comedic. :kidaround:

Best news about this is the Russo Brothers...who got their start directing Arrested Development.

Joel McHale Wants a Superhero Role -- And He Has Talked to the Russos About It

During a conversation with ComicBook.com, Community and The Soup star Joel McHale admitted that he has talked to his longtime friends and collaborators Joe and Anthony Russo about taking on a superhero role.

The Russos are developing a number of comic book properties both in and outside of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and some rumors have placed McHale as being in talks for the lead role in Quantum & Woody from the producers.

“Yeah, I’ve asked them to be Spider-Man like six times, and they keep telling me I can maybe play Spider-Man’s grandpa,” joked McHale “We probably text once a month, maybe twice a month, and they are possibly the busiest people on the planet. There may be something there in the future, and I would also love to work with Scott Derrickson, who directed Doctor Strange, who has been a friend of mine since the early 2000s. With the end of the 'hit' The Great Indoors on CBS, I’ll hopefully develop something soon, which I can’t tell you about because it isn’t real yet.”

“I love being a part of it and believe me, I cannot believe my good fortune that somebody dressed up as Shrek or as Master Chief will walk up to me and want my picture,” McHale told ComicBook.com. “I would love to do something in that space as a TV show or movie, because I think it’s some of the most exciting storytelling there is. It’s funny that comic books were always kind of seen as a kid thing for years — and then I think Christopher Reeve changed that a bit with Superman and then of course Marvel and Kevin Feige came along and said, ‘We’ll show you this can be a trillion dollar business,’ and now it dominates Hollywood.”

On 8/15/2017 at 1:39 PM, valiantman said:

Yeah, this a good series. Read some of it about a year ago on Comixology. Has Deadpool potential.

Somewhere out there within the underbelly of Tinsel Town lies a pilot -script for Quantum & Woody, a television series based on the Valiant Comics characters bearing the same names. It's a -script to a series the Russo Brothers still hope to sell someday. First announced as a project in 2017, the project was soon said to have a home at TBS, and the WarnerMedia-owned network was said to have hopes of turning it into a franchise. Now, Joe Russo himself tells ComicBook.com TBS and USA have both passed on the property, but the duo isn't feeling completely discouraged.

"It's been a while," Russo says of a barren landscape surrounding the Valiant-based series. "You know that project was set up at USA for a while and unfortunately it didn't end up going there."

That's when the filmmaker — who co-directed Avengers: Endgame alongside his brother Anthony — reiterated they're still trying to get someone to pick it up, and the hope remains someone will make a deal for it at some point.

"At the moment, I think it's just something we're sitting on and waiting for the right opportunity to see where we can, you know find the current partner for that," the director adds. "Really is a lot of what you do in the business is you know waiting for the right partner to line up with the right material."