• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Vancouver, November 10-12, 2017
1 1

128 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Kevin Boyd said:

One week

:whee:  My friend and I had already  made plans to attend some session panels to watch on the long weekend. Had sent some requests. Will browse around the show.

6 hours ago, Fan Boy1 said:

:whee:  My friend and I had already  made plans to attend some session panels to watch on the long weekend.

Are these media guest panels? Any comics creators worth hearing for about 1 hour at a planned panel? Your recommendations? :x

Spoiler
Spoiler

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Are these media guest panels? Any comics creators worth hearing for about 1 hour at a planned panel? Your recommendations? :x

Hide contents
  Hide contents

Flash cast media panel, Legends of Comics panel, and Dessagi renioun (my friend wants that, not me). And I will go see comic artist duel where Dan Parent will be in there. 

We are still adding a few more panels once we got confirmation.

Edited by Fan Boy

20 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

We are still adding a few more panels once we got confirmation.

The exhibitors list is missing Anthill Books and Comics that confirmed their booths late.

Harley Yee at booths # 410. Canadian Comics Bros. # 127. :foryou:

Voldemort grading at #700. Don't see Cgc grading on vendors list but they were there in Nov, 2016.

2 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

The exhibitors list is missing Anthill Books and Comics that confirmed their booths late.

Harley Yee at booths # 410. Canadian Comics Bros. # 127. :foryou:

Voldemort grading at #700. Don't see Cgc grading on vendors list but they were there in Nov, 2016.

Good to know the vendors will be there. Thanks.  It will be a fun weekend for me.

I understand that Fan Expo will have some professional cosplayers licensed for public to pay them for taking photos (a fan and the cosplayer). Like paying a fee for their time. I wonder what the going rates will be? 

21 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

It will be a fun weekend for me.

I am sure it will be a fun weekend for those who plan what panels they wish to attend and which artist/inker/writer/media guests they are willing to line up for. Bit strange that the buzz around Vancouver is weak for this Expo, as some retailers got the flyers late (10 days before the con).

To clarify Anthill Books and Comics might be sharing booths with Harley Yee. Jigglypig Chad shrank down to an island of 8 booths. Bob K. and Pat S. declined to renew their booths. I will get my hardcover Artists Edition book double signed:

sVJF5fq.jpg

COMICS PROGRAMMING SCHEDULE
Meeting room 11 is located on the upper level of the convention centre.

FRIDAY NOV 10
4:00 PM SKETCH DUEL: DAN PARENT v FERNANDO RUIZ v GISELE LAGACE | MEETING ROOM #11
5:15 PM LEGENDS OF INDIE COMICS (GERHARD, PAUL CHADWICK, KEN STEACY) | MEETING ROOM #11
6:30 PM THE ART OF THE COVER (MICHAEL CHO, JONBOY MEYERS, TIM BRADSTREET) | MEETING ROOM #11

SATURDAY NOV 11
*11:00 AM SKETCH DUEL: HUMBERTO RAMOS v FRANCISCO HERRERA | MEETING ROOM #11
12:30 PM LEGENDS OF COMICS: BRODERICK, ZECK, BEATTY, GRUMMETT | MEETING ROOM #11
2:00 PM SKETCH DUEL: YANICK PAQUETTE v MIKE PERKINS | MEETING ROOM #11
3:30 PM IMAGE COMICS AT 25 (STEVE SKROCE, ED BRISSON, KAARE ANDREWS, COLIN LORIMER) | MEETING ROOM #11
4:45 PM SKETCH DUEL: TONY MOORE v NICK BRADSHAW | MEETING ROOM #11

*PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL BE OBSERVING A MOMENT OF SILENCE AT 11AM SAT NOV 11 FOR REMEMBRANCE DAY ON THE SHOW FLOOR AND IN PANEL ROOMS - THIS WILL BE PRECEDED BY AN ANNOUNCEMENT

SUNDAY NOV 12
11:00 AM SKETCH DUEL: LEONARD KIRK v TOM GRUMMETT v STEPHEN SADOWSKI | MEETING ROOM #11
12:15 PM BEHIND THE COLOUR WHEEL: A PRESENTATION BY LOVERN KINDZIERSKI | MEETING ROOM #11
1:30 PM SKETCH DUEL: JAE LEE v KAARE ANDREWS v ERIC VEDDER | MEETING ROOM #11
2:45 PM CGI: ASSEMBLING A DIGITAL MICHAEL JACKSON AND MORE (JIM SU) | MEETING ROOM #11

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Some late adjustments to the Pro Comic Guest Area

Unable to attend: Simon Roy, Brett Weldele, Gus Vazquez

Just added: Owen Gieni (Sunday only), Owen has done the art on image titles such as Manifest Destiny and Rat Queens.

Movement: Nathan Fairbairn to P34, Mike Perkins to P35, Steve Skroce to P05 - he's Saturday only so Nick Barber and Owen Gieni will be at that table on Sunday.

By table number:
A19 GREG HYLAND
P01 MATT 'BATT' BANNING
P02 MAX DUNBAR
P03 COLIN LORIMER
P04 DOUG SAVAGE
P05 STEVE SKROCE (SAT)
P05 OWEN GIENI (SUN)
P05 NICK BARBER (SUN)
P06 ANDY POON
P07 JOHN GALLAGHER
P08 DIANA GREENHALGH
P09 JIM SU
P10 TIM BRADSTREET
P11 LEONARD KIRK
P12 KEN STEACY
P13 PAUL CHADWICK
P14 GERHARD
P15 LOVERN KINDZIERSKI
P16 TOM GRUMMETT
P17 PAT BRODERICK
P18 JOHN BEATTY
P19 MIKE ZECK
P20 JAE LEE
P21 KAARE ANDREWS
P22 JONBOY MEYERS
P23 ED BRISSON
P24 STEPHEN SADOWSKI
P25 GIBSON QUARTER
P26 ERIC VEDDER
P27 MICHAEL CHO
P28 FRANCISCO HERRERA
P29 HUMBERTO RAMOS
P30 DAN PARENT
P31 FERNANDO RUIZ
P32 GISELE LAGACE
P33 YANICK PAQUETTE
P34 NATHAN FAIRBAIRN
P35 MIKE PERKINS
P36 DANICA BRINE
P37 NICK BRADSHAW
P38 TONY MOORE

Alphabetical (by surname):
P21 KAARE ANDREWS
P01 MATT 'BATT' BANNING
P05 NICK BARBER (SUN)
P18 JOHN BEATTY
P37 NICK BRADSHAW
P10 TIM BRADSTREET
P36 DANICA BRINE
P23 ED BRISSON
P17 PAT BRODERICK
P13 PAUL CHADWICK
P27 MICHAEL CHO
P02 MAX DUNBAR
P34 NATHAN FAIRBAIRN
P07 JOHN GALLAGHER
P14 GERHARD
P05 OWEN GIENI (SUN)
P08 DIANA GREENHALGH
P16 TOM GRUMMETT
P28 FRANCISCO HERRERA
A19 GREG HYLAND
P15 LOVERN KINDZIERSKI
P11 LEONARD KIRK
P32 GISELE LAGACE
P20 JAE LEE
P03 COLIN LORIMER
P22 JONBOY MEYERS
P38 TONY MOORE
P33 YANICK PAQUETTE
P30 DAN PARENT
P35 MIKE PERKINS
P06 ANDY POON
P25 GIBSON QUARTER
P29 HUMBERTO RAMOS
P31 FERNANDO RUIZ
P24 STEPHEN SADOWSKI
P04 DOUG SAVAGE
P05 STEVE SKROCE
P12 KEN STEACY
P09 JIM SU
P26 ERIC VEDDER
P19 MIKE ZECK
Edited by Kevin Boyd

On the other side of the room, some celebrity guests have had to back out.... Caity Lotz and Michael Shanks have had to cancel their 2017 appearances due to shooting schedule changes.

Stephen Amell issued the following statement:

What’s up everybody. I’m really sorry to announce that I need to cancel my appearance at Fan Expo Vancouver. I have a family commitment and family has to come first. Hope everyone has a great time at the event. I promise that I’ll be back.

If you purchased a photo op with Caity, Michael or Stephen, Epic Photo Ops will email you with your refund and exchange options.

We'll miss them in Vancouver, and are thrilled to add Legends of Tomorrow star Maisie Richardson-Sellers (aka Vixen) to the lineup! 

Also, I didn't relay these additions last week but Malcolm Goodwin and Robert Earl Buckley (both from iZombie) have joined the guest list for Fan Expo Vancouver and will be there on Sunday the 12th.

23319242_1473998086047030_4494563866163023081_n.png

Glad the dealer's load in time is designated like last year to spread out the queue and overcrowding in the loading bay Thurs. My buddy who has 4 booths won't even begin to load in :insane: until 6 p.m. which means his posse won't get out until at least 9 p.m.

Heading down there today for a few hours. Got the early entry pass so I can get in at noon today. Hoping it won't be too crowded. Most people should be working!

Are CGC and Voldemort both accepting submissions today? Will they be sitting beside each other ?

Also for getting books signed and CGC certified how does that work? Very been to one of these big shows/events. 

7 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Is meeting room #11 up the escalators? Never been upstairs at Convention hall. (:

Yes, #11 upstairs.  I am in this room now waiting for the artists to begin. 

The con show is alright so far.  I found two HC books at good prices.  One is Venus volume with #1-9 reprint in it. :x

3 comic dealers at the show. Don't bother going for comics. You can see Canadian Comics and JigglyPig at the Croatian hall for way cheaper.

Harley had some guys selling there. They were still setting up their comics wall at about 230. By the time they're done it'll be time to take it all down. Add 30% to all of Harleys prices for the exchange rate. 

Lots of toys, collectibles, t shirts, costumes and things like that for sale. 

Didn't have too much time to spend there so I quickly breezed through a few times checking out different booths. Lots of people in costumes, some really good, some really bad. 

Not something I would go to again. I understand now why comic dealers can't be bothered setting up here. 

3 hours ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

3 comic dealers at the show. Don't bother going for comics. You can see Canadian Comics and JigglyPig at the Croatian hall for way cheaper.

Harley had some guys selling there. They were still setting up their comics wall at about 230. By the time they're done it'll be time to take it all down. Add 30% to all of Harleys prices for the exchange rate. 

Lots of toys, collectibles, t shirts, costumes and things like that for sale. 

Didn't have too much time to spend there so I quickly breezed through a few times checking out different booths. Lots of people in costumes, some really good, some really bad. 

Not something I would go to again. I understand now why comic dealers can't be bothered setting up here. 

Yes, that is true. Really not much to see comics wise around the show. The big factor is the costs against profit and then there is the low volume of comic collectors by attendance.  One dealer had hold on two books for me as he knew about my comic interests well. Nice mid-grade early copies.  :x

I have put in a special commission request to a comic artist, which it will be done by February later. Sent away two books to CGC to be graded. That is about it. Tomorrow I will go watch the Flash cast panel and another panel then browse around awhile. 

In my opinion, Fan Expo Vancouver need to rethink in how to get back more comic book dealers.  This year might be my last time going there again. 

My next comic con will be Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo in April 2018. Way better and FUN show!! Two friends will join me on a road trip.

6F066DAD-0EF3-4777-BF3B-2B81C121A982.jpeg

13 hours ago, DarkKnightReturns said:

Also for getting books signed and CGC certified how does that work? Very been to one of these big shows/events. 

e.g. Ask Cgc to have a signature witness come with you to the writer/artist/inker you wish to sign your paper collectibles. Staff witness the signature then you submit invoice and comics to Cgc directly thus saving you the postage to ship to Florida. Not sure if Cgc still charges $5 for having comics of different value tiers go on separate invoices.

Not supposed to have any drizzle until Sunday of the Expo at the East convention halls:

6hKObU0.jpg

Several of the artists/inkers I met said this was their first time to Vancouver, BC and the city reminded them of Seattle, WA's Emerald City comic-con.

Excellent Friday for original art and sketch collectors as there were not long line ups and folks smashing into your knapsack full of comics, graphic novels, sketchbook. Artist Tony Moore (Walking Dead) had a camera mounted so that it would project his sketching technique onto the display screen behind him so that folks farther back could watch him draw:

dH4T5C5.jpg

but a bit aggressive to charge $125 to sign Walking Dead comic #6. I paid Zeck and Beatty $15 total to sign my Zeck Marvel Stories Artist Edition hard cover art book, and Zeck was kind enough to do a quick Capt. America side profile head sketch.