• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Vancouver, November 10-12, 2017
1 1

128 posts in this topic

I posted this in the OA forum, and I pretty much only go to cons or art (and also pretty much to only Vancouver) so here is my haul:

1. Zeck/Beatty Punisher! (and its my 5th one!)

2. Kaare Andrews Immortal Iron Firsts Cover (my 10th! Kaare Andrews cover!)

3. Animal Man Commission by Tom Grummett! (one of 2 pencillers on the Grant Morrison Animal Man run)

4. Pat Broderick Captain Marvel Commission (my 1st Captain Marvel from him)

5. Colin Lorimer Judge Dredd vs. Judge Death (my 1st ever piece from him)

Link to CAF recent uploads

Thanks for looking

Malvin

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Based upon my experience, I don't see a problem with bringing in creators/artists and celebrities to this show.

The major problem and a key one at that, is for the show promoters to being in half decent comic book dealers with vintage comic books for collectors to buy.  After all, this is supposedly a comic book convention, and I doubt the comic book collectors will continue to pay top dollar to go to a show that has virtually no comic books dealers present.  hm

It is call a "Fan Expo" NOT a "Comic Con". So, in all fairness to the promoters, I would not expect to see a whole lot of vintage comics there. I would always, check the exhibitor list on their website to determine if it was worth my attending as a comic collector. Doesn't look like a comic book centric show.

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I would always, check the exhibitor list on their website to determine if it was worth my attending as a comic collector. Doesn't look like a comic book centric show.

But the exhibitor list was not accurate. One vendor was wondering why his name was on their website when he had not renewed or paid for an island of booths up to 15 days before the Expo. Perhaps this is the trend also reflected by Wizard World Chicago (used to be comic centric) in Aug, 2017 that only had 6 comic vendors out of 100 booths show up?

18 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

But the exhibitor list was not accurate. One vendor was wondering why his name was on their website when he had not renewed or paid for an island of booths up to 15 days before the Expo. Perhaps this is the trend also reflected by Wizard World Chicago (used to be comic centric) in Aug, 2017 that only had 6 comic vendors out of 100 booths show up?

There were way more than 6 comic vendors at WW Chicago.  You weren't even there so why are you spewing these B.S. misinformation?  Yes, there were some previous regulars that didn't show up but 6....puhleeze.

Aardvark, I tried to say hello to you as you walked past the table I was sitting at but you didn't hear me. You've certainly taken a strong interest in every fine detail related to the event and I'd have loved to have talked in person with such a devoted fan of the show as yourself. 

Was this exhibitor listed in the program guide? That was the only official vendor list that was released. Please let me know if that was the case so I can ask about how this happened. I've been looking around the web for "dead links" - old pages from previous years that show up in google searches, just in case.

But I'd have to ask, has Fan Expo Vancouver ever been a comic centric show? Comics have always been a part of it from day one, and they were about as equal or more a part of it as in previous years. At Fan Expo shows comics are in the mix and we keep them front and centre, but they aren't the whole show. 

And yes, while it was noticeable to us as well as all of you that the number of comic vendors was down (Canada Comics, Jigglypig and Harley Yee this year). I guess the absence of the couple of vendors that didn't come back this year were taken up somewhat by comics related booths like CGC and that other company, and some local self-publishers. 

We had a solid guest comics guest list that was as big as it was last year, but with more big names than in 2016, and I've been getting solid reports of sales of sketches, original art, prints, etc. 

We had a full slate of comics programming that was up over the number of panels in 2016. At the majority of the sketch duels we had to turn people away as the rooms hit capacity seating. We had an Artist Alley that was as big as it was in 2016 with a mix of comic creators and artists in with the artisans.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

3 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

Aardvark, I tried to say hello to you as you walked past the table I was sitting at but you didn't hear me.

Was this exhibitor listed in the program guide? That was the only official vendor list that was released.

At Fan Expo shows comics are in the mix and we keep them front and centre, but they aren't the whole show. 

And yes, while it was noticeable to us as well as all of you that the number of comic vendors was down (Canada Comics, Jigglypig and Harley Yee this year). I guess the absence of the couple of vendors that didn't come back this year were taken up somewhat by comics related booths like CGC and that other company, and some local self-publishers. 

We had a full slate of comics programming that was up over the number of panels in 2016. At the majority of the sketch duels we had to turn people away as the rooms hit capacity seating. We had an Artist Alley that was as big as it was in 2016 with a mix of comic creators and artists in with the artisans.

Hi Kevin,

Everytime I walked by your corner booth area (where Stv Skroce set up), you seemed exhausted from all the wonderful work you did organizing the expanded artist/inker/writer alley. Props to you. :golfclap:

The official vendor list was OK online, as this vendor did eventually buy his booths for FEV. I would recommend that the FEV website be updated as a vendor who booked 4 booths in a row is no longer offered the discounted booth price as of Nov, 2017 expo.

For the 2018 FEV, I recommend Fan Expo place a display ad in the weekly Georgia Straight entertainment journal, as I don't recall seeing a display ad for the Nov/17 Expo in the daily Metro or 24 like Fan expo advertised in Nov, 2016. Thanks for your consideration.

The Calgary staff are merging into the Fan Expo HQ organization, many members of the Calgary team were on site in Vancouver helping run things this year. Nice folks. Think of it as best of both worlds, making for a stronger event.

Edited by Kevin Boyd