• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seriously, wtf?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Weird Paper said:

Really?

Really?

Don't you miss the days on Ebay when you could contact bidders of an auction and tell them to read the copy?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302415934160?rmvSB=true

i saw a Kirby one on there the other day, also with a bid on it! I will assume the bid was placed by the seller

They also have a TMNT photocopy up and this description says it all about what they are doing.

"WE HAVE THE CHEAPEST  PRICES ON EBAY !!   UP FOR BIDDING TMNT AFFORDABLE GIFT IDEA . PERFECT FOR FRAMING !! REPRINTS ARE A GREAT ALTERNATIVE WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK . WE HAVE ALL YOUR FAVORITE !! YOU WILL GET THE REPRINT PHOTO PICTURED . SIZE IS 8X10 ON STANDARD WHITE PLAIN PAPER ALL PRINTS ARE MADE IN A PROFESSIONAL LAB ON HIGH STANDARD WHITE PAPER . WE DONT SELL LOW QUALITY HOMEMADE PRINTS S/H IS 3-6 DAY BY MAIL .  IF YOU WANT PRIORITY THAT WILL BE $ 7.20 PER ORDER . THESE ARE NOT HAND SIGNED PHOTOS , THESE ARE REPRINTS OF ORIGINAL PHOTOS SOME PRINTS MAY SLIGHTLY DIFFER FROM THE ABOVE PICTURE DUE TO PRINTING AND CROPPING . SOME PRINTS MAY CONTAIN WHITE BORDERS"

They are literally just running off copies and openly admit it. And they also have hand drawn art by Bob Kane and Charles Schulz, 2 from each. You really have to work hard to not see the warning signs with this seller.

3 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

The title and description both say copy. Maybe people should read before they bid. Ebay will not do anything as the seller is properly describing the item. Caveat Emptor.

C'mon Ankur- this is the seller you want to champion?  His descriptions are purposefully misleading.  $400 for a Kinko copy?   He wants to catch someone sleeping.  Yes he throws the word "copy" around a few times - in the middle of words like "original published"  (an original published copy?). He also says the "Art is Approx. 8" X 10" IN STANDARD PLAIN WHITE PAPER AND IN VERY GOOD CONDITION"  

Yes caveat emptor but that doesn't excuse his trying to put one over some buyer.

Darren, I'm not championing the seller at all. But these kinds of scams happen all the time on ebay. Its nothing new and buyers have to pay attention, that's all I'm saying. 

There is no excuse for the seller, and he is obviously trying to mislead, but with the word copy in the description and title, Ebay or Paypal will probably not do much about it.

The Schulze pieces that he's attempting to pass off are obviously fakes as well.  Signature on all three look different.

They sure do come up with some creative descriptions for why their forgeries aren't quite right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-ORIG-PEANUTS-SCHULZ-SNOOPY-COMIC-STRIP-HAND-DRAWN-SIGNEDED-SCHULZ-/302411229692?hash=item46691d29fc:g:uksAAOSwcYxZjJD8

Edited by Doc McCoy
Added link

6 hours ago, comxdlr said:

what i like to see is that part of his feedback is for this  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-visa-/302378915202?nma=true&si=o8T8iEKCV6kCh9nmaD7g7%2B69KPA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

someone bought a $50.00 Visa card for $95 and thanked him for it.

uhmmmm interesting?

Who on earth would pay $95 for a $50 gift card!?!?!? That's the dumbest thing I have seen in a long time!

On 8/16/2017 at 7:45 AM, Doc McCoy said:

The Schulze pieces that he's attempting to pass off are obviously fakes as well.  Signature on all three look different.

They sure do come up with some creative descriptions for why their forgeries aren't quite right: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-ORIG-PEANUTS-SCHULZ-SNOOPY-COMIC-STRIP-HAND-DRAWN-SIGNEDED-SCHULZ-/302411229692?hash=item46691d29fc:g:uksAAOSwcYxZjJD8

The descriptions are contradictory as all heck too. She starts with "My husband won this "Peanuts" comic strip as a boy in 1980" but later says "This is original, not a printed copy. A printed credit line: "1988 United Features Syndicate, Inc." is pasted vertically in the first panel." 

So he must have won it 8 years before it was published. Wow.....

So somebody bought art from him, received a xerox copy, and then left neutral feedback? What would it take to give him negative feedback? What if he delivers it in person and then takes a dump in your living room? Would that get a neg?

Also, he added "poor shipping." He sent you a xerox copy... what difference if he shipped it poorly? What a world we live in.

1 hour ago, Weird Paper said:

So somebody bought art from him, received a xerox copy, and then left neutral feedback? What would it take to give him negative feedback? What if he delivers it in person and then takes a dump in your living room? Would that get a neg?

Also, he added "poor shipping." He sent you a xerox copy... what difference if he shipped it poorly? What a world we live in.

I think your expectations of that buyer are too high.  He did think he was getting a Sal Buscema original Hulk page for .99 cents. :facepalm:

On 2017-08-17 at 10:55 PM, Madman1138 said:

The descriptions are contradictory as all heck too. She starts with "My husband won this "Peanuts" comic strip as a boy in 1980" but later says "This is original, not a printed copy. A printed credit line: "1988 United Features Syndicate, Inc." is pasted vertically in the first panel." 

So he must have won it 8 years before it was published. Wow.....

The thing is, the United Features credit line isn't pasted vertically in the first panel. The credit line doesn't appear anywhere on the art. As well, the writing style for this description is completely different than the seller's other auctions. I think the seller copied this description from someone else's auction.

Not sure if animated GIFs work here, but I'll give it a try. Here are some comparisons of the original strip and the fake. The original has the United Features credit and the Schulz signature is inset from the frame. In the fake, the Schulz sig overlaps the frame edge.

Also, in the fake, there is much more space between the panels.

peanuts.thumb.gif.8c986278dd3a92bcf473093ea61eb82e.gif

peanuts2.thumb.gif.5d3fb1d4f0f7a10b080ed5da7a5fbca8.gif

peanuts3.thumb.gif.fd51881f6d33e78153260f5f3e89a723.gif

31 minutes ago, drewincanada said:

Not sure if animated GIFs work here, but I'll give it a try. Here are some comparisons of the original strip and the fake. The original has the United Features credit and the Schulz signature is inset from the frame. In the fake, the Schulz sig overlaps the frame edge.

Also, in the fake, there is much more space between the panels.

peanuts.thumb.gif.8c986278dd3a92bcf473093ea61eb82e.gif

peanuts2.thumb.gif.5d3fb1d4f0f7a10b080ed5da7a5fbca8.gif

peanuts3.thumb.gif.fd51881f6d33e78153260f5f3e89a723.gif

Actually there's no original Schulz here from either auction. The first auction was a fake too. A better looking fake than the second, but a fake nonetheless.

--Mark T

9 hours ago, marktom said:

Actually there's no original Schulz here from either auction. The first auction was a fake too. A better looking fake than the second, but a fake nonetheless.

--Mark T

doh!

So the new fake is a fake of a fake? Sheesh.

As I was prepping that post, I though the "original" auction looked familiar. I have a vague recollection of it being discussed here.