• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Wolverine #35 (HIGH GRADE??)

19 posts in this topic

Small tick towards back top staple with slight staining on the spine side of the back, that and the corner I'd think more 9.4, CGC tends to grade tougher than others...... so :wishluck: but if you already have it graded "might" not be worth regrading with cost etc......

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Small tick towards back top staple with slight staining on the spine side of the back, that and the corner I'd think more 9.4, CGC tends to grade tougher than others...... so :wishluck: but if you already have it graded "might" not be worth regrading with cost etc......

Ooh yes, I saw that! It's currently graded a 9.8 through PGX...Would a press be worth it to try and CGC it at the same grade? 

4 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

It doesn't look like pressing will help that corner. I also think about 9.4 seems reasonable. Big gamble.

Definitely a gamble but I figure I'd gather some opinions, I will try to post better pics once I receive it. I paid about $60 for it so we shall see. 

31 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

That is insane. Is this some key I don't know about. A book from the 90's I'm sure there are tons of high grade copies out there. Probably few have submitted them because it doesn't seem particular sought after and you can buy high grades raw for $10-20. What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

That is insane. Is this some key I don't know about. A book from the 90's I'm sure there are tons of high grade copies out there. Probably few have submitted them because it doesn't seem particular sought after and you can buy high grades raw for $10-20. What am I missing?

Not a key, most of them apparently have two or more serious spine creases and a dent on the spine from the printer. Only 7 graded at 9.8 on cgc and some of the early 9.8s probably shouldn't have graded that high. 

On 8/15/2017 at 1:13 PM, Terrapin said:

Apparently most of them have some spine ticks near the 50 Years

I don't think the corners are sharp enough for a 9.8, personally.  Doesn't have the spine tick though...

14 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

I don't think the corners are sharp enough for a 9.8, personally.  Doesn't have the spine tick though...

Do you think a pressing would do anything to help it out? 

Here's an update. I received the book and took some more pics while still in the case. I was hesitant to crack it quite yet.

On 8/18/2017 at 3:17 PM, SteppinRazor said:

I don't know, sorry.  I've never had a book pressed.  From what I understand though, it doesn't help things like rounded corners

On 8/17/2017 at 6:48 PM, SteppinRazor said:

On 8/15/2017 at 10:42 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've been burned more than once on those who dare not speak the name cases 

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG