• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November 2017 Heritage Signature Auction- some beautiful SIlver books
1 1

37 posts in this topic

Oh yeah...and that Avengers #4 9.6...with WHITE pages which you rarely see for that book :x

But I'm looking at the dual Archie #50's!  8.0 and 7.5?!  Wowza!  The 7.5 has much deeper ink strike (assuming the post scanner pic wasn't adjusted) but isn't structurally as appealing.

Still though...I wouldn't mind owning either copy lol

2 hours ago, GoldCap said:

Oh yeah...and that Avengers #4 9.6...with WHITE pages which you rarely see for that book :x

But I'm looking at the dual Archie #50's!  8.0 and 7.5?!  Wowza!  The 7.5 has much deeper ink strike (assuming the post scanner pic wasn't adjusted) but isn't structurally as appealing.

Still though...I wouldn't mind owning either copy lol

46 minutes ago, drdonaldblake1 said:

link please?

Well, here's the one for the CGC 7.5 graded copy of Archie 50:  :luhv:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/archie-comics-50-archie-1951-cgc-vf-75-off-white-pages/p/7169-34002.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Preview-ThisAuction-120115

Can't seem to find the one for the VF 8.0 graded copy though.  (shrug)

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Those are all books from Doug Schmell's Pedigree Vault.

Perfect reason then why potential sellers should never consign their books to Pedigree for auction.  hm

When it comes to his own books, he shows absolute zero confidence in his own auction house to do the job, and instead consigns them to Heritage like what he did several years ago.  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

When it comes to his own books, he shows absolute zero confidence in his own auction house to do the job, and instead consigns them to Heritage like what he did several years ago.

HA has a MUCH larger bidding pool, more marketing, more reach etc. Also, less suspicion of shill bidding (given priors) if his stuff is listed elsewhere than in-house.

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 minutes ago, scooter99 said:
20 hours ago, drdonaldblake1 said:

Is this the same book that was formerly in a Voldemart 9.6 case?  That large spine tic looks familiar. 

Yes

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/journey-into-mystery-83-marvel-1962-cbcs-nm-96-white-pages/a/7152-91288.s

16 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

How the heck is that JIM #83 even a 9.4? The spine wear and creasing alone should drop it to 8.5 range at best (check out those three large ones in the lower part of the red hammer swing swoosh), then you have light color breaking handling creases middle right side, creasing/edge wear bottom of the spine, a tiny crease bottom right corner, and what may be the start of tanning/some other discoloration along the spine. Horrible gift grade.

The FF #1 9.0 looks just as nice or nicer than this book. :eek:

Edited by kimik

16 hours ago, GoldCap said:

I am surprised that the Avengers #4 hit 9.6 with the color breaking spine creases and tiny tear towards the bottom of the spine, and then more creasing and wear on the back cover in the same area. :facepalm:  FWIW, it looks like a spine press realignment job.........

Just looking at the Avengers #4 and JIM #83, I hope the bidders are buying the books and not the label as both look overgraded. I am hearing from others that CGC has tightened things up recently, so I guess that some of these books were graded before that? lol

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, kimik said:

How the heck is that JIM #83 even a 9.4? The spine wear and creasing alone should drop it to 8.5 range at best (check out those three large ones in the lower part of the red hammer swing swoosh), then you have light color breaking handling creases middle right side, creasing/edge wear bottom of the spine, a tiny crease bottom right corner, and what may be the start of tanning/some other discoloration along the spine. Horrible gift grade.

I had an X-men #2 CGC 9.2 in my personal collection years ago that had 5 or 6 spine stresses on the spine. This one seems nicer.

It all depends on how the rest of the book looks and feel sin hand.  I've seen stronger 9.4 copies but I think 8.5 is a little

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I am surprised that the Avengers #4 hit 9.6 with the color breaking spine creases and tiny tear towards the bottom of the spine, and then more creasing and wear on the back cover in the same area. :facepalm:  FWIW, it looks like a spine press realignment job.........

If it's the same book, this book appeared at a Con a couple of years ago raw. It was pretty white in hand and really nice.

You can't blow up pictures to max size and scrutinize the defects and accurately assess the grade because the book is not that size in real life (and nor are the defects). At arms length those defects look very differently than they do magnified on a digital device.

To me the book looks like a pretty nice example of a CGC 9.6

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

When it comes to his own books, he shows absolute zero confidence in his own auction house to do the job, and instead consigns them to Heritage like what he did several years ago.

HA has a MUCH larger bidding pool, more marketing, more reach etc. Also, less suspicion of shill bidding (given priors) if his stuff is listed elsewhere than in-house.

Then you are in agreement with me since your first sentence confirms that you should not use Pedigree to auction off your books since they have a MUCH smaller bidding pool, less marketing, and less reach.  (thumbsu

Your second sentence is a reason why many potential bidders do not bother bidding on his site because of suspicions, whether warranted or not, that he conducts shill bidding on some of his auctions.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine