• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest - Round 7 Results
1 1

58 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

So am I mathematically eliminated yet?

You are mathematically inebriated  :baiting:

Edited by Senormac

10 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:
26 minutes ago, jcjames said:

How do you two have IDENTICAL scores for EVERY book!? What are the odds!?

:whatthe:

Creepy! (shrug)

twins.jpg.d656a5b0822cecf848cef753d1478926.jpg

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Th odds of that are 356 to 1!!!!

They go up to 571 to 1 if we get same score next round!!!!!!!

wish I would have stuck with my initial impression of the BP 1 at a 9.4 - then I remembered how the ASM book screwed me because I missed some slight stuff-- went back, examined the large scans and bought into the perceived crease on the front (probably case related) and mistook the printers crease as a possible tear.

oh well-- Seems like whenever I think I should go with my gut I need to be more investigative and vice versa. On to the next round

3 hours ago, sckao said:

Round 7 COMMENTARY

(Feel free to submit your own. :headbang:)

ENOUGH OF THE TOP-FEEDERS...let's look in on the BOTTOM FEEDERS...or at least an apt description 7 contests ago...

Standings for 13 players who started 112th place...i.e, -1 -1

KUDOS TO THE TOP 4 CERTAINLY!  CONGRATS as well to those who have improved on the 112th...6 books to go... :headbang:

manicnerd 35

Zalgandos 35

trmoore54 42 (couldn't resist that)

Sandflea 56

Rdjevning 80

Plantman 80

Callaway 80

Collectorbill 91

Action Comics 103

Comics181

ALSO-RANS

RonC 115

Larryw7 121

Noodlez 123

Speaking through the lens of a serious case of butt hurt, one of the problems here is the human error introduced in graded books themselves.  IMHO, the consensus grade....(like the "mode" or the middle of the bell curve) is the actual grade that CGC generally does a good job of approximating.  But they can still be off by half a grade here and there and then there is the problem of trying to grade through plastic which compounds matters.

It would be a really interesting contest to just post some raw books, and whoever gets closest to the group's consensus grade gets a bullseye, and the farther you are from the average, the less points you get.  I once set up a time-distance car rally without actually needing to know how long each leg of the rally took by just using the middle time (mode) as the perfect time, and adjusting accordingly.  It worked out OK.

13 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I had Black Panther at 8.0, and Torchy at 7.0. What looked a color breaking crease on the BP threw me, and that corner on the Torchy was problematic for me.

yeah the black panther had a huge crease on the right hand side and some issues on the bottom... i didnt come close on it.. i guess that was on the case.. but i even put that in my 'grade' submits..  cause i really guess i was seeing every scratch on the case or whatever it was.. but i graded that Panther book lower then 8 for that reason, and i had the same grade 7.0 on the Torchy.. 

I didnt figured Id win the contest for sure.> :) i did this more to try and figure out how to grade some of the stuff i have laying around prior to sending it in so i wouldnt be disappointed with what i got back???    so far i see that im still clueless :)

4 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Speaking through the lens of a serious case of butt hurt, one of the problems here is the human error introduced in graded books themselves.  IMHO, the consensus grade....(like the "mode" or the middle of the bell curve) is the actual grade that CGC generally does a good job of approximating.  But they can still be off by half a grade here and there and then there is the problem of trying to grade through plastic which compounds matters.

It would be a really interesting contest to just post some raw books, and whoever gets closest to the group's consensus grade gets a bullseye, and the farther you are from the average, the less points you get.  I once set up a time-distance car rally without actually needing to know how long each leg of the rally took by just using the middle time (mode) as the perfect time, and adjusting accordingly.  It worked out OK.

Sounds like another cool idea for a contest. Pick the right time of year to run it and I bet you get plenty of interest. Perhaps some time in the winter or mid summer would work. But the way this one is run should not change imo.

March madness (run by @BlowUpTheMoon ) has a similar raw/pre clean-pressed approach -- with the variable being that you don't know for certain how well a book might improve from the cleaning and pressing. That contest is tough and you can be one and done in a heartbeat.

Edited by 01TheDude

58 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Sounds like another cool idea for a contest. Pick the right time of year to run it and I bet you get plenty of interest. Perhaps some time in the winter or mid summer would work. But the way this one is run should not change imo.

March madness (run by @BlowUpTheMoon ) has a similar raw/pre clean-pressed approach -- with the variable being that you don't know for certain how well a book might improve from the cleaning and pressing. That contest is tough and you can be one and done in a heartbeat.

I completely agree on all counts.  I wasn't advocating changing this contest one iota.  I like the format and I think it's good to learn to self-grade the graded books from on-line scans anyway.  If I'm going to buy a copy of ASM129 for 9.0 money, I want to make sure it actually grades 9.0.  Yet we've seen some of these books have been consensus undergraded as well, which can be quite profitable to pick up on.

As for running my own contest.  I'm lazy by nature so....hmmm....   It is a cool idea.  Maybe this winter or something.  Seems like a lot of work and awfully thankless though...especially because of people like me. :)

Think about this before you start a grading contest.... Say there's 125 entrants and two moderators. One year, we had something like five moderators which actually probably pushed some people off the boards due to board fatigue...

Each round, you'll have to read a minimum of 125 private messages and possibly 250 private messages with two moderators. This is kind of why I'm waiting a bit before recording grades so that hopefully Thirdgreenham can respond before I record the grade. If I record the grade BEFORE he responds, then I have to open that Group PM thread again after he responds and check to see if I've entered those guesses yet.

Repeat this as many times as necessary. (Older Grading Contests sometimes ran up to 20 Rounds. :sick:  )