• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Authenticating the value of a graded book.

6 posts in this topic

I buy a lot of comic books on eBay and sometimes when I make my purchases I can't help but wonder that I might have paid too much. No I don't mind paying a little extra for a book that really want but at the same time I don't want to get ripped off. Is there any way for me to authenticate the value of the cgc graded book aside from me going by other sellers auctions on eBay? For example I'm trying to get Omega Men #3 graded at 9.8 white pages the seller wants $250. At the moment I'm negotiating the price with the seller but I don't know what is a fair offer and what isn't. Can I get a little help please?

there's a service called GPA (you can google it) that has the selling history of books, they collect data from multiple venues (but not all of them).  It is fairly common for people who buy/sell here on the boards to use them as a reference, though not the end-all/be-all of pricing.  It should also be noted that this is a paid service.  Additionally, you may be able to look at completed auction prices or sales prices from other websites or auction houses, though they often require log-ins.

Edited by revat

For graded books, especially those that transact a lot, Ebay sold auctions tend to be a pretty accurate gauge on the current "fair" market value for a book. With Ebay, you can use the advanced search to find sold auction listings, and it goes back 3 months. Again for highly-liquid books that transact many times per week, this is an easy, free way to get pretty close to what reasonable prices are.

A cheaper alternative than GPA is Go Collect - it only uses Ebay listings, but allows you to get the actual paid prices for Ebay Offers that were negotiated on BINs, but goes back up to 2 years so you have a bit more sense for history than the 3 months you can get for free via Ebay

In general though, if a comic is listed with a BIN price (or very high min-bid price in an auction), and hasn't been bought fairly quickly, it's because it's generally above the fair market value.

6 hours ago, CKinTO said:

For graded books, especially those that transact a lot, Ebay sold auctions tend to be a pretty accurate gauge on the current "fair" market value for a book. With Ebay, you can use the advanced search to find sold auction listings, and it goes back 3 months. Again for highly-liquid books that transact many times per week, this is an easy, free way to get pretty close to what reasonable prices are.

A cheaper alternative than GPA is Go Collect - it only uses Ebay listings, but allows you to get the actual paid prices for Ebay Offers that were negotiated on BINs, but goes back up to 2 years so you have a bit more sense for history than the 3 months you can get for free via Ebay. 

In general though, if a comic is listed with a BIN price (or very high min-bid price in an auction), and hasn't been bought fairly quickly, it's because it's generally above the fair market value.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, CKinTO said:

A cheaper alternative than GPA is Go Collect - it only uses Ebay listings, but allows you to get the actual paid prices for Ebay Offers that were negotiated on BINs, but goes back up to 2 years so you have a bit more sense for history than the 3 months you can get for free via Ebay. 

Thank you.