• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First World Problems and Original Art

36 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I know we agree on this but..

No trimming.

NO.

TRIMMING.

Buy yourself a museum box for your silver age artwork if you can't find an Itoya that does the job.

I use museum boxes for my oversized art. They are archival safe, and protect the artwork well. Most come in a size that's perfect for SA artwork and DPS's.

category_1842_m_480.jpg

I found some of the ones I had stashed away. None of the SA size ones though. They must be packed away even deeper. 

I have 5 of the more Bronze/Modern art sized ones. Interior Dimensions are 13 1/4" x 19 1/2" x 2 inches deep. They hinge on one side so you can open one side to place art inside or remove art. 

If anyone wants one or two and wants to pay shipping just PM me and I'll see if I can hook you up. 

12 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Buy yourself a museum box for your silver age artwork if you can't find an Itoya that does the job.

I use museum boxes for my oversized art. They are archival safe, and protect the artwork well. Most come in a size that's perfect for SA artwork and DPS's.

For someone who only has modern size art, do you recommend a portfolio or museum box?

36 minutes ago, Twanj said:

For someone who only has modern size art, do you recommend a portfolio or museum box?

Depends on how you want to enjoy your art. 

I used to use all Itoya's. When full (especially when you also use mylar and backing boards for your art like I do) they get heavy. Think of the dealer booths at conventions with itoya's. It's not a major issue though. They don't lay entirely flat when full either. That's not a problem if you don't fill every page up or you don't use mylar and backing boards.

One thing that's more of an issue, from an enjoyment perspective, the pages are simply polypro. So they can get cloudy over time or wrinkled and you wind up slipping the artwork out of the itoya to take a good look at it anyway. 

The museum box is nice, especially if you protect your art with mylar and board like I do. Because you can pull out the box and open it up and page through the stack pretty easily. Also, they stack easily and are very strong. You can stack several full boxes on top of each other without a problem.

So it's going to come down to personal preference and how you choose to enjoy the artwork. Itoyas are great and easy. I've used them for many years. I don't use them as much now because I've found that I enjoy the pieces more taking them out and spreading them out on a table instead of flipping through them like a book. 

10 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Yes, I've trimmed art like sketches and commissions, but not anything valuable and not original comic art.

I was going to say the same thing. I have trimmed edges off a sketch or commission because of size or edge damage, because they had a lot of blank border to work with. But I would never trim published art pages. The only way I'd consider it would be if the published piece had a huge empty border and wasn't on regular comic board with the guidelines and such, like homemade cut bristol boards some artists use. I remember I bought a Dell'Otto cover painting once that had a 4" blank white border, and it was shipped from overseas in a package exactly the same size as the art and they damaged all 4 corners and edges on it's way here. I considered trimming it, but it was heavy crescent board and I couldn't bring myself to do it, but the damage really bothered me so I ended up just selling it off instead. 

I remember the old Blanc Noir boards that the Gaijin boys used to use in the '90s are all 11x17 1/2 inches, which makes them stick out a good bit in a standard 11x17 portfolio. When I asked Joe Phillips about it when having him sign one of his covers on that stock, he said they thought it would be cool but they hear a lot of complaints about it, even all these years later. So he tells people to just trim some of the top off. I still couldn't bring myself to trim it tho, even with his blessing.

Moral of the story, you probably shouldn't ever trim art except in rare cases, and even then, it might make people mad to hear. And it definitely should be information shared to the buyer if you trimmed something. I hate when you buy based on the scan and the image arrives with less or no border.

About fifteen years ago I bought a 1950s Peanuts Sunday.  I couldn't quite figure out how to store it properly so I decided to trim it so that each panel was a separate entity, that way I could store it easily, in sequence, in an 8x11 Itoya, one panel per page.  Whenever I desired, I could essentially flip though it like a Big Little Book.  Plus, I could effectively break up the strip and sell it off piece by piece if the need arose.  

Juuuuust kidding.

1 hour ago, Flambit said:

About fifteen years ago I bought a 1950s Peanuts Sunday.  I couldn't quite figure out how to store it properly so I decided to trim it so that each panel was a separate entity, that way I could store it easily, in sequence, in an 8x11 Itoya, one panel per page.  Whenever I desired, I could essentially flip though it like a Big Little Book.  Plus, I could effectively break up the strip and sell it off piece by piece if the need arose.  

Juuuuust kidding.

Don't do that (tsk) - you nearly had me running for my antihypertensives and CNS depressants before I read your last two words, GP says I shouldn't get worked up too much emotionally

Yes, just kidding too :wink:

This thread has placed me in an existential crisis. 

The obsessive compulsive in me says everything must fit perfectly in a folder.

The preservationist is me says thou shalt not tamper with original art pages.

I have some oversized pieces that don't fit in my Itoya. I put them in a Poly bag, taped down the flaps with acids free tape, then slipped them into a toploader. 

I put my Itoya & my toploaded pieces all into a zippered portfolio Carrying bag. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

7 hours ago, Flambit said:

Juuuuust kidding.

Just kidding... because you only do that with your Prince Valiant Sundays ?!?

7 hours ago, Flambit said:

Juuuuust kidding.

Nice job channeling Ron Graham!  Who is Ron Graham, some of you newer collectors might be asking?  Ron routinely cut up strip art in the 1970s to sell individual panels, and was proud of it.  You can see one of his inimitable ads from the Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom here (courtesy of Glen Gold), if you click on the Facebook link in the upper-right-hand corner of this page:

www.comicartads.com

Toward the end of his life, Ron was featured on the TV show Hoarders, and it was a typically sad episode.  Best, Lee

I would never modify a piece of art for convenience, especially if it could result in the loss of notes or other bits of character. I just went looking for the boxes I had been buying from Gaylord, but it looks like they've been discontinued. The one that has been mentioned here is somewhat similar. I prefer to keep art in E. Gerber Archives stored in boxes like these. They're not as easy to flip through as an Itoya, but they do a better job of protecting the art while stored (in my opinion). 

A noticeable difference in the current Itoya materials is part of why I made the switch. The portfolios I find in stores now don't seem as sturdy as the older ones I have. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the newer, "smooth" covers seem a little flimsier than the older, more rough-textured ones.

Reading this thread reminds me of the very first ever CGC original art thread from fifteen years ago or however long that was....  It was - I'm paraphrasing because I'm too lazy to go back and properly reference it - someone suggesting that CGC actually grade and slab comic art.  Could you imagine carrying around giant three feet slabs of plastic everywhere?  

7 hours ago, Lee B. said:

Nice job channeling Ron Graham!  Who is Ron Graham, some of you newer collectors might be asking?  Ron routinely cut up strip art in the 1970s to sell individual panels, and was proud of it.  You can see one of his inimitable ads from the Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom here (courtesy of Glen Gold), if you click on the Facebook link in the upper-right-hand corner of this page:

www.comicartads.com

Toward the end of his life, Ron was featured on the TV show Hoarders, and it was a typically sad episode.  Best, Lee

So much dense text in that ad that I couldn't even begin to read it on my phone.  Had to open it in a web page on my computer.  It's unsettling because you can practically read the madness creeping in, even then...

On 8/17/2017 at 8:23 AM, Lee B. said:

www.comicartads.com

Good lord. I didn't know the guy was on Hoarders, but I never really watched the show. Looks like I have an episode to track down.