• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First World Problems and Original Art

36 posts in this topic

So I'm putting some silver age twice-up art in an Itoya Profolio.  I purchased one measuring 17"x22" instead of the smaller 16"x20" Profolio.
This accommodates some of the taller pages with lots of border at the top & bottom but results in some pages literally swimming in the inserts - especially width-wise, .

Yet I have a few pages that still won't fit, such as a fairly nice Kirby / Sinnott FF page.  It's somewhere between  ½" - ¾" taller than the insert.
Some lovely production & Kirby notes along all four borders although there's enough blank margin (with no notes or art) along the top & bottom that I could trim away to make it fit.
I guess I could go with the 18"x24", but most of these pages are less than or no more than 14" wide, so they'd really be loose.

But I just couldn't get myself to trim the page.
Heck, I could'a trimmed about 8 or 9 pages and bought the smaller 16"x20" Profolio and everything would have fit comfortably.  Mighta lost some notes in the process, though. :eek:

So... Anyone trim their art to fit in a portfolio, sleeve, or frame?  Do most folks here leave their art alone regardless of the consequences?  Does anyone trim their art regardless of the consequences?
Does anybody care?

Confession time.  :devil:

Edited by Unca Ben

43 minutes ago, mtlevy1 said:

Please don't do this

I bought a Kaluta Shadow Movie Adaption page and the seller chopped off the Top 2" so it would be cheaper to ship from overseas - so annoying - and of course, not mentioned...

Mark

I won't.  I agree with you.
Like I said, I just considered it for a moment.

Not all my thoughts are acted upon (thank god).  :smile:

But the experience led me to post some questions to see where folks stand.
I would imagine this is a common situation, and I have several pages that have been obviously trimmed prior to my acquisition of them.

In fact, it seems many pages are trimmed to some degree during the production of the comic book.  Maybe at the printers, or to fit in a shipping mailer sometime during the production process?
Lots of editorial & production notes, especially on the left and right sides, that appear to be cut off - running off the page. 

I have three pages from a BA story (but not consecutive pages) and 2 pages fit snugly in a 11x17 portfolio, but one page is about 1/8" too wide and so I keep in a larger portfolio. There are no notes in the ample margins, so I am constantly tempted to cut a small stripe so I can bring all the pages together... just can't bring myself to do it, however.

Its impossible to answer -but as a collector if I was buying art and blank borders were trimmed it wouldnt affect my decision to purchase at all.  Plain Cardboard doesnt add to my enjoyment.

I have lots of older pages where corners were trimmed in production. Dont love it - but didn't stop me getting it.  

The artist simply used a canvas that was too big.  As long as the art is not impacted or margin notes - who is going to miss blank paper?

Ask yourself this - if you were to frame it instead of put it in a folder - would the matt cover up that section you considered trimming. If yes - than you might be ok trimming for portfolio purposes.

If on the other hand you display the art with a big matt that shows off the border- than dont trim.

Edited by Panelfan1

42 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Trim the borders off, and paste them to the back to keep them together. Be sure to use archival-safe glue.

EEEE GADS MAN!!!

Have we learned nothing from the madness of Victor Frankenstein?

Tampering with the balance of existence in this way is beyond the grasp of humanity!!!

8 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

So... Anyone trim their art to fit in a portfolio, sleeve, or frame?  Do most folks here leave their art alone regardless of the consequences?  Does anyone trim their art regardless of the consequences?
Does anybody care?

I know we agree on this but..

No trimming.

NO.

TRIMMING.

Buy yourself a museum box for your silver age artwork if you can't find an Itoya that does the job.

I use museum boxes for my oversized art. They are archival safe, and protect the artwork well. Most come in a size that's perfect for SA artwork and DPS's.

category_1842_m_480.jpg

Just so no to trimming. Next thing you will be cutting up art to sell the characters separately. It’s a slippery slope.

Being truthful, I have had the same thought as this has tripped the OCD trigger in my brain when I have a page that doesn’t fit, etc. I never considered it, but the thought did creep in.

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

I know we agree on this but..

No trimming.

NO.

TRIMMING.

Buy yourself a museum box for your silver age artwork if you can't find an Itoya that does the job.

I use museum boxes for my oversized art. They are archival safe, and protect the artwork well. Most come in a size that's perfect for SA artwork and DPS's.

category_1842_m_480.jpg

I have never heard of a museum box, thanks for the idea

2 minutes ago, Shaun C89 said:

Any suggestions on where to pick up those boxes? 

Also I wouldn't trim or alter anything on a page of art, I would want to preserve it as it was when obtained.

Great question though!

They sell them everywhere online and brick and mortar. Amazon, Blick Art Supply, Michael's, The Container Store.

I actually bought a bunch from an art dealer that was using them for years, but they still looked brand new, when he switched to a custom cabinet to store the artwork.

If you'd like I can look and see what I have that I am not using. I probably have an extra half-dozen of them.  I can check sizes too as I got a few different sizes from him. 

10 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Does anybody care?

I'd never do that (tsk) - but I've seen a nice painting showing people who trimmed art to fit in portfolios :gossip:

Spoiler

150321-moss-purpose-of-hell-tease_vjw8he

Yeah, I wouldn't trim art. It does frustrate me that they come in different sizes, and that sometimes similar art (same run with same artists) have different sizes so that I have to put them in separate places, but I just accept it rather than trim art!

Malvin

I posted my large art strategy awhile back-

For medium size prints and oversize OA, I buy 18x24 Itoya portfolios. I remove the black insert paper. I buy custom 18x24 sheets of E Gerber Half-Backs cut to size. This supports the pieces from wrinkling while flipping over these large pages in a portfolio.

11 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

So I'm putting some silver age twice-up art in an Itoya Profolio.  I purchased one measuring 17"x22" instead of the smaller 16"x20" Profolio.
This accommodates some of the taller pages with lots of border at the top & bottom but results in some pages literally swimming in the inserts - especially width-wise, .

Yet I have a few pages that still won't fit, such as a fairly nice Kirby / Sinnott FF page.  It's somewhere between  ½" - ¾" taller than the insert.
Some lovely production & Kirby notes along all four borders although there's enough blank margin (with no notes or art) along the top & bottom that I could trim away to make it fit.
I guess I could go with the 18"x24", but most of these pages are less than or no more than 14" wide, so they'd really be loose.

But I just couldn't get myself to trim the page.
Heck, I could'a trimmed about 8 or 9 pages and bought the smaller 16"x20" Profolio and everything would have fit comfortably.  Mighta lost some notes in the process, though. :eek:

Does anybody care?

Yes, I've trimmed art like sketches and commissions, but not anything valuable and not original comic art.

I use 18 x 24" Itoyas for twice-up and any other art that doesn't fit in a 13 x 19" Itoya (which is what I use for most other art).  If they're swimming in the sleeves, they're swimming, baby!  Better than the alternative...