• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GI Joe art on display at Hascon

8 posts in this topic

Saw this message from Dan Klingensmith, sounds interesting for those of you near the Hascon event.

--

Good Morning,

I just wanted to give an update as to what’s happening behind the scenes for the Joe portion of HASCON!

In celebrating G.I. Joe: A Real American Heroes 35th Anniversary, the team at Hasbro has made it their mission to comb through the archives and pull out never before seen concept art, original package paintings, models at different stages, and nearly 50 never-before-seen paintmasters! What will truly make this event unique is not only will you be able to see all of these breathtaking pieces, but you’ll be able to discuss them 1 on 1 with the Legends that worked on them in some capacity!

One of my roles with HASCON is to curate the Joe portion of the event! I am honored and humble at this opportunity and I am not holding back on what is shown and want this to truly be an exceptional experience!

As I have shared before, the private event I put on last year with those that worked on the brand was truly one of the best experiences I have ever had when it comes to this hobby and my passion. Thank you to everyone who has already made the decision to attend HASCON and I hope to see more of the Joe Community come together and celebrate Joe’s 35th Anniversary and show gratitude to the men and women who helped create the toys we have all come to love!

If you enjoyed the reveals from last week…keep an eye out for some awesome teasers this week and an announcement of more Legends that will be in attendance at either the panels and/or dinner!

Have a great week!

I was lucky enough to see some of the original paintings from the GI Joe packaging when I visited Hasbro HQ back in like, 2010. Some beautiful pieces there! I don't think I'm making it to HasCon ... and now I'm really bummed. This sounds incredible.

On 8/16/2017 at 10:32 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

One of the crowning achievements of my life was to hold the Snake Eyes V2 painting in my hands and be able to pretty much stick my nose in it and see every little brush stroke. An absolutely amazing work. Hasbro doesn't have that :nyah:

oh, WOW!. Now that's one I'd like to see up close. 

On 8/16/2017 at 7:32 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

One of the crowning achievements of my life was to hold the Snake Eyes V2 painting in my hands and be able to pretty much stick my nose in it and see every little brush stroke. An absolutely amazing work. Hasbro doesn't have that :nyah:

Wow!  That sounds amazing!  Are those pieces large?  I've never seen one, but loved them all.

7 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Wow!  That sounds amazing!  Are those pieces large?  I've never seen one, but loved them all.

My recollection is that it was about 16"x20"-ish, so it was a decent size, but I believe the vehicle artwork is much larger. Unfortunately, they cut corners on the art for things like the Night Force and Tiger Force "repaints" and just painted over the original art in at least a few instances. A few years ago when they rolled some art out for the Joe con in RI, they showed the Night Boomer art which was the Sky Striker painting with the Night Force deco painted on. Didn't see that in person, but had a friend that went up and took lots of pics.

Apparently Hasbro has had a few lapses in their policy on keeping the art in lockdown as a few pieces from early in the Joe line here and there have hit the secondary market (via the actual artists, so it's not like it was ganked by some intern). I know they tried to get that Snake Eyes art back at one point and believe they were unsuccessful. In a semi-related story, if you remember the art for the Joe 12-inch Classic Collection from the mid-to-late 90's, it was really beautiful and apparently the OA was huge. It used to hang in the Kenner offices in Cincinnati (Kenner was jointly involved in the production as Hasbro owned Kenner at that point and let them handle the 12-inch Joes), but it disappeared when Hasbro was absorbing what was left of Kenner in the early 00's and turned up in some sort of auction (as in, Hasbro didn't keep it, they just let it go along with who knows what other valuable treasures). Not sure if any has ever turned back up from that initial dumping.

BTW, nice "location" Knightsofold (thumbsu One of my favorite movie quotes ever! "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...". Gives me chills!

Edited by Martin Sinescu

9 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

BTW, nice "location" Knightsofold (thumbsu One of my favorite movie quotes ever! "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...". Gives me chills!

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes!