• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WINNER ANNOUNCED Pg5!!! Test your Auto Body Appraisal Skills! Win a COMIC PRIZE! NOW WITH CHARITY AUCTION
2 2

95 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Totaled (especially if I-Beam is damaged/bent)

Salvage = not sure how this works in the US, but if you are saying waht you can buy it at to repair as a salvaged title then $2,775 if you are saying what it would sell for fully repaired as a salvaged title then $6,750

I'm not an expert at definitions either, but I think more than likely your first definition of salvage seems more appropriate.  If the I-beam is the beam/bar that between front and back doors that goes from ceiling to floor, then yes, it is damaged.

4 hours ago, revat said:

Thanks for playing everyone, this has been real interesting to see what people think, and also pretty great to see wide variety of guesses.  I don't know a ton about auto body repair, so I'm happy to learn a little bit too. 

Some people have asked about the driver of the hit-and-run, and possible pressing charges/other consequences.  I can't get too into it, BUT I can say that in addition to the eye-witness of my neighbor, that same neighbor had a security camera catch a portion of the accident on video, including the car that hit mine.  I don't know too much about what the options are (do the people get arrested? sent to prison? shouldn't they compensate me for my trouble?), but whatever they are, we're going to press as many charges as possible, as there appears to be a pretty decent amount of evidence.  I expect to get the police report this week or early next week, I may be able to give an update then.

Without taking a second to google, I believe a hit and run is a criminal offense and a felony. I don't believe you would need lawyers to administer justice since if it is a criminal, not civil, offense. I would think it would only be civil as far as not getting adequate compensation from their insurance company or if you wanted to go after some sort of personal compensation. I would think them being charged/found guilty of HnR would be enough as far as getting your car taken care of. Again, this is just off the top of my head and I'm certainly no lawyer (just have several family members in law enforcement).

1 hour ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Without taking a second to google, I believe a hit and run is a criminal offense and a felony. I don't believe you would need lawyers to administer justice since if it is a criminal, not civil, offense. I would think it would only be civil as far as not getting adequate compensation from their insurance company or if you wanted to go after some sort of personal compensation. I would think them being charged/found guilty of HnR would be enough as far as getting your car taken care of. Again, this is just off the top of my head and I'm certainly no lawyer (just have several family members in law enforcement).

Yes I didn't mean the victim would need a lawyer if that is what you are referring to but the hit and run driver-definitely.   

5 hours ago, revat said:

I'm not an expert at definitions either, but I think more than likely your first definition of salvage seems more appropriate.  If the I-beam is the beam/bar that between front and back doors that goes from ceiling to floor, then yes, it is damaged.

You don't have a ladder frame (only trucks/suvs and a few other vehicles have them anymore), so no beam.  You're talking about the B pillar (A is windshield/side window, C is side window/back windshield)

The I beam would be front to back, at the bottom.  The frame.  Yours is a unibody (the frame and the chassis are the same thing).

Usually the first thing that triggers a total is airbags. 

Edited by SteppinRazor

If that 10.8 value is correct it will not be totaled.  The insurer will track down the lowest cost used parts up to and including the frame/chassis for repair. 

Looks like 6k.

But then again we are not seeing hidden damage.  That changes the whole game.  So this entire exercise is moot.

If they do repair it your best bet is demanding diminished value. A 10.8k car with 6k in repairs is no longer worth 10.8

Look into your state laws regarding diminished value if your car is repaired.  

Would be a good idea to let the insurer know you are aware of diminished before they tell you how they want "fix" this.  

You mentioned Chassis damaged....it "should" be totaled. Frames can be repaired but you end up with a rebuild title ( car would be worthless) no matter if it is cut in half or minor frame repair. 

As for salvage you can work with insurance but most times its not worth it. They will take the "value" of damaged car out of your money for replacement. If you do not like what they come back with do NOT accept it. Same if you decide to repair. If you are not 100% happy with it they have to redo it and insurance has to pay until you are happy, usually you can say just buy me a new one it will be a whole lot quicker and cheaper. If you have a smart agent they will.

I grew up in the industry.

The car was towed to the shop on Friday.  So get your guesses in!

26 minutes ago, ThreeSeas said:

If it is not too late to get into this contest: Not totaled and $6,398.00 in repairs

not too late! thanks for playing.

35 minutes ago, staggerin' more than you can imaginin' said:

i think i remember if repairs are more than 50% of the value it will be totaled and if you repair it will get a salvage title

To some extent it depends on your state and the insurance compantcompany