• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official November 2017 heritage auction thread
3 3

330 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I am still in a state of shock. I guess we will see the usual suspects raising the price of their Peanut artwork

if these guys would just not instantly jack things up due to one auction result i think they would do so much better! 

7 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Possibly true.  My guess was only that it would be someone who is new to comic art or doesn't collect at all. 

It makes it harder to explain when you need two someones of a like mind to get these results. 

On 10/26/2017 at 6:31 PM, comiconxion said:

Gene - Sorry, I missed the big Zeck get together in NY.  Hopefully everyone showed up with a copy of their Mike Zeck Artists Edition or Raw Fury exhibit book to facilitate the riot that I'm sure ensued.  If you give me more notice next time, I'm happy to organize another exhibit of Zeck's best art and maybe even convince Mike to show up so he can tell stories of how he sold all his covers for $40-50 back in the 80's!  

Apologies to anyone who I inadvertently angered by collecting Zeck's art.  If only Mike weren't such a nice guy as well as great artist!  As Michael mentions... there still is more Zeck art out there.  I don't have it all and I've tried my best to part with some pieces over the last few years (I don't want to be a complete hoarder).  

On a serious note though, I'm actually really glad we got an opportunity to display all 6 of the Kraven covers when they were together at the Cartoon Art Museum in SF back in 2014 and include them in the Zeck Artists Edition.  Now, at least collectors can appreciate the art in all its glory.  

Congratulations to Heritage on getting such an Zeck historic piece to auction.   And, congratulations to whoever the lucky winner will be!

So it has already been stated that the TMNT 1 book sold for 250k. 

How much did the KLH series of 6 books sell for? 

11 hours ago, Lago32 said:

I also think separating comic art now into three distinct days of auctions is wrong...there are too many folks I have spoken to in this hobby that have either missed, almost missed, didn't know, etc. about yesterday's "premium" or "Diamond" or whatever-they-called-it event. Keep it to the usual two days, nice and simple.

If someone can't or won't read information that's prominently posted in the website and in the catalog, well, tough. 

4 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I can't remember the last time even one daily went for $50k much less to have two three in the same auction to go for $65k and $72 and $108k....

That's a record for a daily, and it's not even close.  There's not even that many Sundays (by any artist) that have broken $100k.  

21 minutes ago, tth2 said:

That's a record for a daily, and it's not even close.  There's not even that many Sundays (by any artist) that have broken $100k.  

That's what my initial reaction was telling me....and to see three of them go so high is wild. 

A local friend of mine just made a frickin KILLING on EBAY 3 weeks ago......He picked up 1 ebay lot which included a killer peanuts 1950s CHRISTMAS SUNDAY with ALL CHARACTERS present singing a Christmas song at school, with Linus telling Lucy he forgot his line...AND 5 more 50s DAILIES!!!!! and he bought em ALL FOR............ 24.5K.. ....The day he got em in and confirmed they were all real,...he shipped em all off to Heritage!!! LOL. (He offered me the sunday for 60k as i collect Christmas themed art..... but i passed.)

Edited by romitaman

Thoughts on Kraven/Zeck cover? Thought there was a high likelihood of two people going toe-to-toe on it, final price was $33k, which was a bit over what I thought the final would be. Does this price nudge the rest of the covers to auction, or reinforce that they should stay where there are?

Also, that the Wrightson HOM #225 splash that went for $15k....didn't that go through Comiclink not too long ago? Anyone recall the price?

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Oof. Delta in the wrong direction, and over a seven year span too...

jjswordsman.jpg

Not to mention fees and postage from and to Heritage and possibly sales tax the first time or duty etc.     Lucky if he recouped 40% and could be 1/3.

10 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I’ve always likened comparing Batman cover prices to Detective cover prices like the way Amazing Spider-man cover prices compare to all other Spider-title prices. I’m the same general universe but not really the same. 

Nice Analogy!

10 hours ago, TeddieMercede said:

Batman image leaves a lot to be desired. Plus he's small and in the background. 

True Batman was more present with Robin on Batman 222.

Also The Salomon Grundy cover with him holding up a tiny Batman sold A few months ago at clink for 47k. That was Justice league America 92.

Im curious what a Batman 232 with a tiny batman and robin but A hughe Rhas Al Ghul would do!! 250k i would say. First appearance and cover for Major vilain and Batman title. Maybe even close to the 450k of the Green lantern 76 from Neal Adams!