• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official November 2017 heritage auction thread
3 3

330 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, Nexus said:

On a separate note...same buyer paid roughly same price for the complete TMNT #1 around the same time. Which was the better buy? Doesn't have to be in a financial sense, more which would you rather own?

1 wraparound cover and 40 pages to a seminal creator owned small press book that became a marketing juggernaut and cultural icon to a generation.

6 covers and 120+ pages of interiors to one of the very best Spider-man stories every written. 

That's a tough call. Financially, if you ever had to sell it would be far easier to break the set of Spider-man up (as has been done) and recoup a massive windfall without ever touching the very best of the pages, splashes, covers. 

Broken up the Spidey's probably have a value floor somewhere around $700k in today's market, and probably more given what a couple of those covers would demand. 

The TMNT may have more cultural significance but the logistics of moving it (either in whole or in part) are more complicated than the Kraven story. 

If it was for nostalgia it's Kraven's Last Hunt. If it's for most significant contribution to pop culture it's TMNT. If it's for cash/nostalgia combination it's Kraven because I'd be able to piece off the pages and most of the covers, reap a massive profit, and still keep the very best of the covers. 

I think the TMNT is just as good cash wise.   Today I'd say the cover alone sells for what the cover + 40 pages sold for then.

With early interior pages from other issues going for 5k a pop, I think 10k a pop for the #1 pages would happen.     The interiors on that book are awesome.     Its one of the only ones with Shredder, its got the Foot, it has some really great group shots and a killer Shredder splash.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Nexus said:

On a separate note...same buyer paid roughly same price for the complete TMNT #1 around the same time. Which was the better buy? Doesn't have to be in a financial sense, more which would you rather own?

Kraven Last Hunt for me.
Sadly I don't have the money...

:x

Edited by MagnusX

5 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I think the TMNT is just as good cash wise.   Today I'd say the cover alone sells for what the cover + 40 pages sold for then.

With early interior pages from other issues going for 5k a pop, I think 10k a pop for the #1 pages would happen.     The interiors on that book are awesome.     Its one of the only ones with Shredder, its got the Foot, it has some really great group shots and a killer Shredder splash.

Probably sells well, I agree. But to recoup investment and profit you're parting with the cover and best pages. That weighed into my personal choice. Having ones cake (cash) and eating it too (keeping the very best of the story or covers). 

That's less a result of quality disparity as it is having more fractional pieces that can be moved than TMNT. 

Well yeah more fractional pieces, but lower average quality.    I'll take the quality.    I'd be thrilled to sell the cover and keep the complete interiors if I wanted to recoup.    

17 minutes ago, Bronty said:

If one or two TMNT #1 pages were sold, yeah, they'd fetch $10K a pop.  But, could you get that for all 40? hm 

From a financial perspective, the KLH I think was the better buy.  From a love perspective, I'd rather have the TMNT #1 and deeply regret not having gone for it back in 2007.  As people will recall, it was an eBay auction with a $250K starting bid that the winner sniped at the end.  That kind of auction format would be far more conducive to a minnow being able to take down a whale given that you'd each only get one shot at it (assuming both sniped), and the whale wouldn't necessarily see you coming. 

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If one or two TMNT #1 pages were sold, yeah, they'd fetch $10K a pop.  But, could you get that for all 40? hm 

From a financial perspective, the KLH I think was the better buy.  From a love perspective, I'd rather have the TMNT #1 and deeply regret not having gone for it back in 2007.  As people will recall, it was an eBay auction with a $250K starting bid that the winner sniped at the end.  That kind of auction format would be far more conducive to a minnow being able to take down a whale given that you'd each only get one shot at it (assuming both sniped), and the whale wouldn't necessarily see you coming. 

I think you'd get 20-50+ for certain pages.    So yeah, 10 each.    Pull out the book and look at the pages.   There are some show stoppers in it.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

I think you'd get 20-50+ for certain pages.    So yeah, 10 each.    Pull out the book and look at the pages.   There are some show stoppers in it.

Now you're just trying to make me feel bad. :( 

I think the TMNT pages represent the pinnacle of their characters' market. Is Kraven's Last Hunt considered the pinnacle of 80s Spider-Man? Arguable. If it is, doesn't it have a lot of other Best Spidey stories to compete with from other eras?

Money aside, I'd rather have the Turtles.

13 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I don't remember that version of the auction.

I remember when it was up with a $1 million BIN, and then with a $750k BIN.

But I thought the final auction where it sold had a $750k BIN with a best offer option and the $250k took it. I don't remember seeing the $250k number until it actually sold. 

You'd know better than me though since you were actually interested and I was just noticing the pattern in the auction listings in passing. 

Edited by comix4fun

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Really? Just trying to wrap my head around that. I've seen some early pages (issues 2-5) that were great sell privately for $3-5k. But $20k-50k for interior pages is something I would have never imagined. You'd know better though.

6 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Really? Just trying to wrap my head around that. I've seen some early pages (issues 2-5) that were great sell privately for $3-5k. But $20k-50k for interior pages is something I would have never imagined. You'd know better though.

There are no pages from #2 on the market.   Averagey pages from early issues have sold for 5, bad ones for 3.

The content in #1 is the best of the early issues.

I'm guessing as we all are, but it can't be overstated one needs to actually pull out the book and look through it to judge.   There are some killer pages that would do phenomenal IMO.

Edited by Bronty

1 minute ago, Bronty said:

There are no pages from #2 on the market.   Averagey pages from early issues have sold for 5, bad ones for 3.

I should have said "After issue 1". 

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I don't remember that version of the auction.

I remember when it was up with a $1 million BIN, and then with a $750k BIN.

But I thought the final auction where it sold had a $750k BIN with a best offer option and the $250k took it. I don't remember seeing the $250k number until it actually sold. 

You'd know better than me though since you were actually interested and I was just noticing the pattern in the auction listings in passing. 

Yes, it had been shopped at much higher prices (don't remember if it was on eBay or elsewhere), but, in the eBay auction where it actually sold, it was $250K starting bid with no reserve, and the winner sniped it at the end.  I just had a recent conversation with others about this and we all remember it that way.  

7 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I'm guessing as we all are, but it can't be overstated one needs to actually pull out the book and look through it to judge.   There are some killer pages that would do phenomenal IMO.

That said, isn't part of the reason why those pages have done so well is because the #1 and #2 pages have been off the market?  If they were to become available, I suspect those other pages go down in value due to reduced scarcity. 

You can sell '80 Spider-Man all day long; I suspect you start to run out of buyers pretty soon at high levels when it comes to TMNT, as important as it is.   

2 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Yes, it had been shopped at much higher prices (don't remember if it was on eBay or elsewhere), but, in the eBay auction where it actually sold, it was $250K starting bid with no reserve, and the winner sniped it at the end.  I just had a recent conversation with others about this and we all remember it that way.  

Like I said your memory on it is better, being actually interested in it. 

I'm probably remembering the two auction listings at the higher prices and seeing the $250k sale as a surprise that it went for so much less than the two public asking prices. 

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I think they would average even higher, not only the key art but also probably the best art from TMNT as a property. #1 really is artistically killer. 

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

As people will recall, it was an eBay auction with a $250K starting bid that the winner sniped at the end.  That kind of auction format would be far more conducive to a minnow being able to take down a whale given that you'd each only get one shot at it (assuming both sniped), and the whale wouldn't necessarily see you coming. 

Not at all.  Just because Roberts was waiting until the end to submit his bid and meet the minimum price doesn't mean that the bid he entered was the minimum price.  He could very well have entered $500k.  So some minnow submitting a snipe bid of $250K would've merely driven the winning price to whatever the increment above $250K is.  He wouldn't have won anything.