• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What should I buy to fill my box of 30?
3 3

23 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I doubt very seriously if any of you have been reading my journal, since it seems like a ghost town over there in the new journals area. Not one subscriber there...not even my Mom!  :(  New journals area is kind of cool because it has nice features.

Anyway I'm trying to build a nice collection of CGC slabbed Bronze books, but I'm limiting it to 30 books because that's how many can fit in my Safe-box.  Hence the "Box of 30".

I've got Giant Size X-men 1 through X-men 101 already ,so that takes up 9 slots, leaving me space for 21 books.  I also have a Batman 251 and my Neal Adams Superman at the Gates of Hell cover, which brings me down to 19.  I have two more nice books that I haven't revealed in my journal.  So that brings me down to 17 more books.

Also, I do recognize that Hulk 181 doesn't fit in my budget, but it's an obvious choice, so I'll eventually figure out a way to tackle that somehow.  (It's a pity my kids won't be able to go to college, but the heart wants, what the heart wants). :)  This brings me down to 16.

So I need to figure out 16 nice bronze books.  For now, they'll be mostly in the $200 to $300 range.  Later, I can upgrade them, so I'm not against buying a book in at least Fine condition, but I'm trying to stay at VF or better.

16 more books.  What would you fill it with? You can only have 16.

What would you buy?

Steve

Edited by Westy Steve

6 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

???

Wait, are you asking what 16 to buy?  Or what 16 books that either you have (of which we don't have any idea) or what would we select if this is was our collection?

I changed my thead title to make it more clear what I'm asking.

Yes, what 16 books would you buy?  Like if you could only have/own 30 books total, and you already owned 14 books you loved, what else would you buy ?

Edited by Westy Steve

9 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Yes, what 16 books would you buy?  Like if you could only have 30 books total, and you already owned 14 books you loved, what else would you buy ?

What are you buying them for?  To slab and sell them, or read and collect them?

For Bronze Age series that are excellent reads, it depends on one's taste.  Mine would include the Kree-Skrull war in Avengers 89-97, which includes some fantastic Neal Adams artwork, the later Roy Thomas/Barry Smith Conan issues 7-21, 23 and 24, when the two of them really had hit their stride, and the Wrightson issues of Swamp Thing (HOS 92 and Swampie 1-10).  Nearly all of the Conan and Swamp Thing issues and some of the Avengers can be gotten in near mint grade for under $200.

Edited by namisgr

23 minutes ago, namisgr said:

What are you buying them for?  To slab and sell them, or read and collect them?

For Bronze Age series that are excellent reads, it depends on one's taste.  Mine would include the Kree-Skrull war in Avengers 89-97, which includes some fantastic Neal Adams artwork, the later Roy Thomas/Barry Smith Conan issues 7-21, 23 and 24, when the two of them really had hit their stride, and the Wrightson issues of Swamp Thing (HOS 92 and Swampie 1-10).  Nearly all of the Conan and Swamp Thing issues and some of the Avengers can be gotten in near mint grade for under $200.

Just to hold them.  I guess I should disclose that I always keep a duplicate electronic or TPB/Reader copy of my slabs so I can read the story when I want to.  I like owning them in slab because they are like artwork to me and I think higher grade books framed by the slabs are attractive.  I enjoy just looking at them.

Edited by Westy Steve

Tomb of Dracula 1 and/or 10; Marvel Preview 2..... some ASM's take your pick, maybe 129, 134, 135, Throw in some Mark jeweler's maybe, or National Diamond insert, IH 180 or 182; 

ASM 129

Conan 1

Tomb of Dracula 10

House of Secrets 92

Swamp Thing 1

X-Men 129 + 141 (I also feel like you should have a 142 to complete that epic story)

Green Lantern 76

Green Lantern 87

Superman 233

Hulk 180

Batman 232

Batman 227

Batman 251 Saw you had a Bats 251 - so Replace with Hero for Hire 1

Detective Comics 411

Marvel Premiere 1

Those would be my 16 - but I could be persuaded to also add: Hero for Hire 1, Marvel Premiere 15 and a few others (I am sure there are some Marvels I am forgetting).

Edited by Chillax23
Saw there was a Bats 251 in there already :)

Some solid picks by everyone.  I echo the sweet covers of Bats 227, 232, Tec 400, 411 and HOS 92.  I'd throw in Tec 395 and JO 134 as well. 

I laugh when I read my choices.  When I was a kid, I rarely collected DC books.  Now DC is 80+ pct. of the books I buy. 

Throw in WWBN 1 and Marvel Spotlight 2. 

I've read your journals, so all is not lost (thumbsu

Another vote for Bats 232 or consider 244 for a higher grade/cheaper Option al Ghul.

Surprised no one's mentioned them, but I'd give ASM 121 or 122 serious consideration. Those two are almost universally thrown around in the Best of the Bronze discussions, especially by those who were around when they were released. 

27 minutes ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I've read your journals, so all is not lost (thumbsu

Another vote for Bats 232 or consider 244 for a higher grade/cheaper Option al Ghul.

Surprised no one's mentioned them, but I'd give ASM 121 or 122 serious consideration. Those two are almost universally thrown around in the Best of the Bronze discussions, especially by those who were around when they were released. 

I agree with the ASM 121.  I remember mail ordering to get my copy back in 1977 or so.  I always wanted a 122, but never found a decent enough copy.   Someday, maybe.  Just too many other books out there that I'd rather pursue. 

So many ways you could go....we have covered the classical trophy keys version of the list pretty well....Maybe hunt some high grade less common items, such as Night Nurse 1, All-Star Western 10, Fast Willie Jackson 7....Marvel Feature 1 with that Adams cover looks awesome....a high-grade Conan 1 is a sweet-looking book.....If you're a Round number collector (100th, 200th etc) the 70s is an affordable array of eye candy, and you already have X-Men 100 in there....I'm partial to Batman 300; not a lot of slabs and probably fits your initial per slot budget in high grade....

6 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

ASM 129

Conan 1

Tomb of Dracula 10

House of Secrets 92

Swamp Thing 1

X-Men 129 + 141 (I also feel like you should have a 142 to complete that epic story)

Green Lantern 76

Green Lantern 87

Superman 233

Hulk 180

Batman 232

Batman 227

Detective Comics 411

Marvel Premiere 1

Those would be my 16 - but I could be persuaded to also add: Hero for Hire 1, Marvel Premiere 15 and a few others (I am sure there are some Marvels I am forgetting).

Great list!  One of these is also one of the two mystery books that I already bought.   I know for sure I'll be getting a GL76 and Bats227 at some point. Funny thing is that just the prospect of owning them gets me fired up.  Really enjoying comics right now. 

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

What is the purpose of the box? Is it to be put away and never opened until its time to finance your great grandchildrens college or is just for fun?

This will explain the box further:

The purpose is just how I choose to collect.  I'm enjoying this collecting method so much with coins that I'm extending it to my comics also.  Fun and beauty.

Everyone collects differently. No one way is 100% correct, and very few are 100% wrong.  Enjoy, I just didn't understand the purpose of the box of thirty. Never  heard of the Box of Twenty concept.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

I like the choices suggested so far but feel a WWBN 32 is a must. 

A personal favourite is Phantom Stranger, so my box of bronze contains a Sh 80 and PS1.

On 2017-08-17 at 3:14 PM, Chillax23 said:

ASM 129

Conan 1

Tomb of Dracula 10

House of Secrets 92

Swamp Thing 1

Green Lantern 76

Green Lantern 87

Superman 233

Hulk 180

Batman 232

Batman 227

Detective Comics 411

Marvel Premiere 1

Great list!

1 hour ago, piper said:

Great list!

Yes ,but.....

Bronze?

1. Green Lantern 76

2. Conan 1

3.House of Secrets 92

4.Werewolf by Night 32

5.Marvel Spotlight 5

6.Hulk 180

7. Hero for Hire 1