• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 All-Star 8 up for auction
2 2

278 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, drotto said:

Are these comics that Pristine has on consignment, or one that they had purchased?  Do we know the history of these books?

The WW 1 sold at auction for about $300K less than nine months ago.  He must have bought it.

The other two books are from a newly discovered OO collection.  My guess is he bought those too.  He had several million in profit from the Action 1 to play with I assume.

57 minutes ago, david99 said:

WW # 1 is probably a loss leader and a tax write off

As I stated above, it sure looks like he bought the WW 1 to fill out the set after he had acquired the AS 8 and S 1.  My guess is he betting that the excitement of owning the trifecta of WW books, in highest possible grade, will lead to a bidding frenzy. If so, he's probably right about that.  Even if he takes a small loss on the WW1, he probably thinks that's a reasonable marketing expense to max out the price on the other two books.  

Edited by sfcityduck

One day to go!  Spread now $555K/$252K/$137K.  

We have a new bidder entering the fray late last night, 10:42 p.m. (Pacific)/7:42 p.m. (Hawaii)/1:42 p.m. (Hong Kong)/8:42 a.m. (Qatar), 6:42 a.m. (London), who took the lead: u***d.  The prior bid leader i***s had placed his/her $555,555.55 bid back on 8/18.   It took u***d two bids to top out i***s, so u***d probably has not bid his final amount.  Will i***s bid again?  Or are we nearing the end?  We'll see soon enough.  

SC22 $1.5M to $2M

Szavisca $1.3M

Musteatbrains $1,111,111

Comicdonna $1.1M

DarkKnight $1.075M

Silver Surfer $1.060M

StephenKeisman $1M to $1.5M

Gadzukes $1.025M

Aman $1M+

Bronty $1M range

RobReact $1M range

Sagii $1M

ClarkKentDDS $900K

Showcase22gr1959 $876K

RIP $875K to $1.225M

TheSurgeon $832K

MMehdy $777,777

Gotham Kid $750K to $1M

Theone29 $750K to $M

Johnny545 $695K

Pemart1966 $675K

sfcityduck $600K range

WooWoo $500K

Bedrock $400k (to $10M)

Gator $399K (to $10M +$1)

Edited by sfcityduck

Negative feedback rating

IMG_0315.GIF.fd0f8c84e3f28177b1e050efdc755ec9.GIFSeller sold damaged item & refused to compensate all costs to make things right.

Buyer: 
b***a ( 574Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999 
During past year Feedback conversation

Based on some of their feedback hopefullly this doesn't occur with any of the WW books. :devil:

Edited by N e r V

To put the $555K AS 8 price in perspective, if the auction closes at this price, this will be the highest sales price for any DC comic that is not an Action 1, D27 or Batman 1 (tops out the $505K Superman 1 5.5, but not the $567K Batman 1 9.2).

That's reasonable though.   High census big key.   How many times have we seen prices for books like that go mental?   (Maybe in the GA world not that many times because they don't come to market!).

To throw a different spin on it though, it currently only double what suspense 3 or fantastic 3 in similar grades went for, and those books have absolutely nothing going for them other than popular covers.  (Also-ran titles from also-ran publishers!).

Edited by Bronty

49 minutes ago, Bronty said:

To throw a different spin on it though, it currently only double what suspense 3 or fantastic 3 in similar grades went for, and those books have absolutely nothing going for them other than popular covers.  (Also-ran titles from also-ran publishers!).

I'd be much more nervous about the Suspense 3 or Fantastic 3 prices than the AS 8, S 1 or WW 1.  I would not trade this top census WW 1, especially with the cool historical provenance and extras, for one of the top two Suspense 3s.  It's not even one of my favorite Alex S. covers! 

I'll still be shocked if the ww1 goes less than 300k... can't imagine he'd accept a loss on a book like that.  I still have to think he must have had private offers or guarantees of bids or something.

You're not bringing people into a supermarket with a sale on 12 packs of diet Coke here... He'd probably have made a big enough splash to get the comic book worlds attention just offering the sensation 1 and as 8.

The timing of the auctions is always interesting too.. as 8 ends first, then sensation1, then ww1.  Do the underbidders on as 8 and sensation 1 bid higher than they would have on the ww1 so that they don't go away empty handed, or will some billionaire blow everyone out of the water on all 3.  Gonna be fun to see where it all ends.

19 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

AS8 @ 555K

Bidder i***s sure has some interesting bids in. $333,333.33 and $555,555.55. Who bids like that ? ???

I could be wrong but Pristine just might take a hard hit on the WW1. We'll see in 41hrs

I bid exactly like that!

13 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Auction ends at 5 pm (Pacific).   Current leader u***d has placed zero bids before 5 pm (Pacific).

He's also what I call a "double-high bidder", meaning not only is his immediate bid ahead of i***s, but that he has placed an additional bid on top of it that exceeds the current bid.