• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 All-Star 8 up for auction
2 2

278 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Seems like the Sen 1 sold too low compared to AS 8. It sold for more than half of what the AS 8... Looked like a bargain to me

Sounds about right. More Fun 53 is about half of 52, right?

21 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Seems like the Sen 1 sold too low compared to AS 8. It sold for more than half of what the AS 8... Looked like a bargain to me.

Or maybe as8 sold too high?

Shows what I know... shocked at the loss they're taking on the ww1... the sensation 1 went a little lower than I thought it might too... you just never know with these books how much of a premium being the highest graded copies brings, that only seemed to help the as 8.

AS8 finished as expected. Sens 1 I thought would go a bit higher (450-550K). Ouch on the WW1.

Only question remains. Were the other 2 books also won by same bidder.

Edited by Gotham Kid

How could it be the wrong venue when there has already been a $3 million sale on said venue, and two of the books sold for record prices (double the previous sales)?

Almost a million dollars for AS8 (As Duck pointed out - more than any other GA book except Action 1 and Tec 27). and a non-first appearance just sold for more than any other non-first appearance in the history of comics.

Edited by Crowzilla

6 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Do you think ebay was the wrong choice of venue to sell these mega keys?  Or does it have something to do with auction fatigue? I personally think it's a factor of both.

Gamble that didn't pay off, at least for the WW1. The other 2 did just fine imo.

Could selling all three WW keys at the same time have been the issue.  When you are in this price range you have a small number of potential buys.  The biggest buyer with the most money is done and out after buying ASC. So for the next two auctions you are down your biggest potential spender. In addition the other big spenders see ASC as the big prize.  As great as the other two books are they are they boobie prizes, after missing out on the other book.  This drives down the prices.

Edited by drotto

1 minute ago, drotto said:

Could selling all three WW keys at the same time have been the issue.  When you are in this price range you have a small number of potential buys.  The biggest buyer with the most money is done and out after buying ASC. So for the next two auctions you are down you biggest potential spender. In addition the other big spenders see ASC as the big prize.  As great as the other two books are they are they boobie prizes, after missing out on the other book.  This drives down the prices.

I thought the sensation 1 was the best of the 3

4 minutes ago, drotto said:

The biggest buyer with the most money is done and out after buying ASC.

You don't know that. 1Mil to him could prove just as easy as 2Mil ( which would take all 3).

It's evident Metro didn't bid but I'm sure there are other collectors that play in that end of the pool.

Edited by Gotham Kid

That ww1 result stings even more than the direct $65k or so loss...it really hurts the value on the other copies they just put up for sale too.  Not sure how you convince someone to pay anywhere near 175k on that 8.0 now.

Edited by szavisca

9 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I thought the sensation 1 was the best of the 3

DO we have anyh clue what the seller's purchase price was on these books?  I realize it was reported they both came from a previously unknown find.

Perhaps also a lack of marketing/advertising/word of mouth on these books too. Unlike major auction houses where you get a catalog, email notifications, etc. I seriously forgot about these books had I not been checking the boards.