• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 All-Star 8 up for auction
2 2

278 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, szavisca said:

It's also interesting that they have differing bid increments etc.  I'm probably over analyzing things... I've been accused of doing so more than once before in my life...but this sort of thing is interesting me in a dorky kinda way ...

It only makes sense for auction houses to have different bid increments according to what the lot is running at.

Not only is it CC that has different bid increments, but it looks like Heritage has 18 different bid increments ranging from $1 all the way through to $500,000.  It would make no sense to have a bid increment of say only $1 or $10 or some other fixed bid increment for a lot that was currently going for over $10K.  These auctions would then be running all day and night with no end in sight.  hm

45 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

so this could be a issue on metro's participation and a reason why the book did not break a million.

or it could be because they didn't feel it was worth a million

+1

^^

And exactly how do you guys know that Metro was not one of the bidders for these books here anyways?  ???

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Ayman owns a hg as8, sens 1 and ww1 already from pictures that I've seen publicly posted (albeit not these).

Any idea if these 3 books were graded copies or if they were still in raw condition?  hm

If I remember correctly, not all of the books in his so-called Impossible Collection were slabbed.  So, it's quite possible his copies might be just as nice or possibly even nicer if they were indeed still in raw ungraded condition.  (shrug)

10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

And exactly how do you guys know that Metro was not one of the bidders for these books here anyways?  ???

They bid with their ebay handle on the Action1. They didn't on the AS8.

Greg Reece bid up to 400K.

Edited by Gotham Kid

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, not all of the books in his so-called Impossible Collection were slabbed.  So, it's quite possible his copies might be just as nice or possibly even nicer if they were indeed still in raw ungraded condition.  (shrug)

Not all the books in the Impossible Collection are super high grade (and slabbed). Far from it.

Neither are they all Universal copies. Action 2 is Conserved for instance.

Edited by Gotham Kid

42 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

It only makes sense for auction houses to have different bid increments according to what the lot is running at.

Not only is it CC that has different bid increments, but it looks like Heritage has 18 different bid increments ranging from $1 all the way through to $500,000.  It would make no sense to have a bid increment of say only $1 or $10 or some other fixed bid increment for a lot that was currently going for over $10K.  These auctions would then be running all day and night with no end in sight.  hm

I think you misunderstood my rambling.  I understand why bid increments increase.  I meant each company has a bid increment scale that differs widely between them.

I, and probably I alone :) ,would like to know how they came up with these.  For example heritage from 5-10k I think is 500 but cc is 200.  This plays into the whole psychology of bidding and I'm sure there's some explanation for it.  Or maybe it's all been done by the seat of their pants and this just works for them.

16 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

How could it be the wrong venue when there has already been a $3 million sale on said venue, and two of the books sold for record prices (double the previous sales)?

Almost a million dollars for AS8 (As Duck pointed out - more than any other GA book except Action 1 and Tec 27). and a non-first appearance just sold for more than any other non-first appearance in the history of comics.

Yeah, other than the WW1 result (the super-public-mega-short-term-flip is always a silly strategy) these books did really well. I think  theAS8 and Sensation 1 are GREAT results. 

27 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:

Are there any high grade, raw copies like perhaps an Allentown sitting in a collection somewhere?

There's a Church All-Star 8 and a Church Sensation #1. Both have traded hands publicly, although both have been locked away since the 1990s. The All-star 8 sold for $70,000 in 1995. the Sensation #1 sold for $60,000 in 1995 and then $90,000 in 1996. 

The church WW #1 is missing. 

I haven't re-researched these books in several years, so there might be other pedigree copies that I missed way back when. 

18 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Almost a million dollars for AS8 (As Duck pointed out - more than any other GA book except Action 1 and Tec 27). and a non-first appearance just sold for more than any other non-first appearance in the history of comics.

Is the highest sold non first appearance in history of comics the Sensation #1?  Or are you talking about a different book?  If Sensation 1, I'm surprised, I would've guessed a Superman #1 would be higher.  

21 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Is the highest sold non first appearance in history of comics the Sensation #1?  Or are you talking about a different book?  If Sensation 1, I'm surprised, I would've guessed a Superman #1 would be higher.  

D'oh! correct - and one has sold higher. Supe 1 is such a mega-key I tend to forget it's a non-first appearance.

Ok, any non-first appearance outside of Superman #1  

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Not all the books in the Impossible Collection are super high grade (and slabbed). Far from it.

Neither are they all Universal copies. Action 2 is Conserved for instance.

I was happy to see that the Bat 18 is only an 8.0.  Gotta protect my HGC!