• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the trick to taking good photos of slabbed books?
3 3

72 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
16 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Did they always or did they start recently?

I learned of it back in 2010 or so.

Interesting. I wonder if they still use it.

I can understand why they would use it. If you are taking LOTS of scans (and CGC makes 1000's). a scanner takes forever and a snap of the camera saves a lot of time.

I have noticed different qualities of pictures from CGC over the years and I wonder if they have changed their methods.

I have noticed that the scans they send now are much large and of better quality (more DPI) than the used to be, so that's a positive.

One thing I have noticed though, is that CGC scans (or pics) tend to darker the whites on comics more than they should, emphasizing tanning, foxing or just turning white covers off white. Something that I hav enoticed over the years.

3 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

I have a daylight lamp that I use. I took cooking wax paper and takes it over the light to diffuse it. Works reasonably well.

Brilliant idea.

I personally prefer making a light box out of a few poster boards and putting the camera on a tripod looking down to get a good photo of a encapsulated book. Sort of 1 behind , 1 on the side and 1 behind to block the glare. and then just zoom in.

I might use natural light or a lamp but a fluorescent usually works best.

I may try some of the suggestions here.

I've been doing photos in the dark, with the flash on, but not aimed directly at the comic. Then I crop it to minimize the funky angle. 

This works, but I feel like the colors pop a bit too much.  Maybe too much is the wrong word, they just don't feel natural 

It's not perfect. Here are a few examples of it. 

2 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I have an iPhone 12.  I’m struggling to get pics of slabs without glare or my kielbasa fingers in the reflection.  Any ideas? 

IMG_20210221_194618521.jpg

IMG_20210221_194637773.jpg

IMG_20210225_195214692.jpg

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I may try some of the suggestions here.

I've been doing photos in the dark, with the flash on, but not aimed directly at the comic. Then I crop it to minimize the funky angle. 

This works, but I feel like the colors pop a bit too much.  Maybe too much is the wrong word, they just don't feel natural 

It's not perfect. Here are a few examples of it. 

IMG_20210221_194618521.jpg

IMG_20210221_194637773.jpg

IMG_20210225_195214692.jpg

Thank you for the suggestions.  I’d like to try to keep my hands out of the pics if possible.  I don’t have a computer so a scanner is out.

On 9/26/2017 at 12:51 PM, ThothAmon said:

Lighting and wearing clothes while you take pictures. 

And make sure you flush the toilet that is in the mirror.