• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the trick to taking good photos of slabbed books?
3 3

72 posts in this topic

put your slab into a box, or a comic box lid. Hold it at an angle ( about 15 degrees) and take a picture.

You should be in a lighted room, and you don't need your camera's flash.

The angle you hold the box at should be to remove the top light in your room, the sides of the box will eliminate glare.

Edited by Artboy99

On 9/21/2017 at 9:51 PM, StarryNight said:

Tried the scanner method and the book seems to far and blurry as opposed to just a raw directly on the scanner bed. Is it my scanner, a brother printer/scanner home office combo?

It's your scanner. Some scanners can't capture a clear image of anything that is not lying directly on the scanner bed and because the plastic on a CGC case lifts the comic off the scanner bed it won't capture it properly.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:38 PM, FN-2199 said:

You need a light box and other lighting equipment. I have a set up for non-comic eBay items. If you are photographing glass or a slab of a black comic (i.e. ASM vol. 2 #36) you need something like black paper to deflect the glare (actually reflect the color of the paper). I stopped short of this. I enjoy amateur photography but you really need  a good set up for photographing reflective still life. You'll also have to play with the features of your camera in manual mode to find the best setting for your lighting. Best to look up blogs or YouTube tutorials for reflective photography.

Even though I have all of the photography equipment, I use a legal size scanner for slabs.

Staples has a perfect scanner for this. You can use their self-service copier/scanner(legal size) and scan to a flash drive for $.53 a scan. Works PERFECTLY. I work at Staples, and do it all the time. Here is an example;

Spawn 1.jpg

On 8/18/2017 at 11:36 AM, VintageComics said:

Comic Connect and some other dealers use a photo set up specially set up to take photos of slabs.

CGC's imagining option uses a camera.

15 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 8/18/2017 at 11:36 AM, VintageComics said:

Comic Connect and some other dealers use a photo set up specially set up to take photos of slabs.

CGC's imagining option uses a camera.

Did they always or did they start recently?

For what it's worth, I've noticed that CGC pics / scans always make whites darker than they actually are and also exaggerate tanning, foxing, etc.