• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Printer errors effect on grading

10 posts in this topic

I posted in the PGM thread, but didn't get a response, so figured I would go directly to the source.  I have an ASM v2 #36 (below) which has what I can only describe as a printing error.  As you can see the black ink appears to have smeared/rubbed onto the white areas of the cover.  Does this have any impact on the grading of the book?  Thanks.

599725aa0d139_ASMv236cover.thumb.jpg.010783745672d15282ac3d78d9504d90.jpg

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Is it really a printing error ? I would think it was a stacking error, ink from another book rubbed off. I don't think it's a common problem for this issue, at least I don't remember seeing it.

The issue is only persistent across the top right section of the book.  The top left (pictured below) doesn't appear to have a similar issue.  I bought the book on eBay so I can't speak for how the previous owner(s) handled it (ie if it is indeed a stacking issue).  Looking to get the book signed/graded soon and was just trying to figure out if it would drop the grade and if I should just save my money.

599785468f6d7_fronttopleft.thumb.jpg.772415b15f944f30f3210310657e813d.jpg

I'm not sure anybody can definitely tell you what CGC will do with this, hence I suspect, the lack of response. I am assuming, since you want to get it signed,  this is a keeper. If so, I think the ink smears will probably bother you long term.  I know it would bother me.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:28 AM, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm not sure anybody can definitely tell you what CGC will do with this, hence I suspect, the lack of response. I am assuming, since you want to get it signed,  this is a keeper. If so, I think the ink smears will probably bother you long term.  I know it would bother me.

Ah, I guess I thought the "Ask CGC" sub-forum would elicit official responses from a CGC representative.

48 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Ah, I guess I thought the "Ask CGC" sub-forum would elicit official responses from a CGC representative.

We do see an occasional response from CGC in this sub-forum but I doubt they would ever comment on a question about grading. To really find out, you would have to send it in. 

Edited by Bomber-Bob

On 8/18/2017 at 7:27 PM, ExNihilo said:

The issue is only persistent across the top right section of the book.  The top left (pictured below) doesn't appear to have a similar issue.  I bought the book on eBay so I can't speak for how the previous owner(s) handled it (ie if it is indeed a stacking issue).  Looking to get the book signed/graded soon and was just trying to figure out if it would drop the grade and if I should just save my money.

599785468f6d7_fronttopleft.thumb.jpg.772415b15f944f30f3210310657e813d.jpg

It's ink rub off from the issue that was on top when the books were in the Diamond box. It's very common for this issue and isn't treated as a production defect by CGC (eg. it does affect the grade just like any other defect).

27 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

It's ink rub off from the issue that was on top when the books were in the Diamond box. It's very common for this issue and isn't treated as a production defect by CGC (eg. it does affect the grade just like any other defect).

Well that's disappointing (i sent the book out for signing/grading yesterday).  Something that occurs as a result of the printing/distribution process really feels like it should have no impact on grading to me since it is out of the buyers control.  The rest of the book looked nearly immaculate to me.  Oh well, personal collection.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

Well that's disappointing (i sent the book out for signing/grading yesterday).  Something that occurs as a result of the printing/distribution process really feels like it should have no impact on grading to me since it is out of the buyers control.  The rest of the book looked nearly immaculate to me.  Oh well, personal collection.  Thanks.

While CGC will overlook some common printing flaws, I don't think they ignore flaws from the distribution process. The question is where do you draw the line ? Are you supposed to ignore impact dings, folds, crease, etc that can happen during distribution. And how do you definitively place the flaw as occurring during distribution and not ownership. You can't. I know you are disappointed but your book has a flaw that should not be ignored.  Would you be happy if you bought this book as an already slabbed 9.8 ? 

yes it affects grading.

Here is an example of the book graded that has the same issue as your copy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/the-amazing-spider-man-v2-36-marvel-2001-cgc-nm-92-white-pages/a/121627-11170.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

My estimate is your copy is also in the 9.0-9.2 range due to loss of white ink.