• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MYSTIC 18 CGC 1.8
4 4

214 posts in this topic

Sorry but no book here for sale, just have to make a comment.

I tried now to make it in the thread itself but unsurprisingly found the thread closed and locked.

Approx. 3 hours ago Pablo approached me about this book. I made an offer and it was accepted ("done") together with paypal details and where to pay. Before I could even respond I received another message 47 minutes later stating he had been made a better offer, and basically tough titty. I accept the fact that a vendor can sell his/her wares however they like, but if this is how business is done these days around here in these shark infested waters then it's a sad state of affairs. Good luck to both buyer and seller.  (thumbsu   

11 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

Sorry but no book here for sale, just have to make a comment.

I tried now to make it in the thread itself but unsurprisingly found the thread closed and locked.

Approx. 3 hours ago Pablo approached me about this book. I made an offer and it was accepted ("done") together with paypal details and where to pay. Before I could even respond I received another message 47 minutes later stating he had been made a better offer, and basically tough titty. I accept the fact that a vendor can sell his/her wares however they like, but if this is how business is done these days around here in these shark infested waters then it's a sad state of affairs. Good luck to both buyer and seller.  (thumbsu   

I apologize. Yes First the problem is that I don't ship international but was gonna make an exception for you. second I said in the message. take it on the thread but you didn't as I was dealing with two other ppl interested in the book

another buyer stepped up and took it on the thread. I think that means he wins. no?

imagine you are on ebay. and dealing on private messages. but the post is still live. whoever gets the buy it now option first wins. If you had taken the mystic on the thread I would have honored your offer. I think when someone says take it on the thread it beats any negotiations or dealings in a private conversation. Does that make sense?

I can only tell you this, and this is all I am saying because I do not want to turn this into a drama.

I have sold many many books on these boards, some very nice stuff and some drek. I have always gone out of my way to accomodate a buyer but more importantly I have always honoured a sale. If you agree to a price, then that is that. It is called ethics. There have been a few times over the years when I have been offered a better price after the fact. So what? A deal is a deal. My purpose in posting this is that there are many nice and decent people here who deserve a heads up.

This was your pm to me....

"ok done Paul. I'm gonna post more golden age books later

$300 plus $25 ship for Mystic #18

Pablo

my paypal is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

If that is not a deal, then I'm seriously missing something, but whatever. I am a firm believer in ...if its not meant to be etc...

I wish you good fortune in all your endeavours. No hard feelings.

7 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

imagine you are on ebay. and dealing on private messages. but the post is still live. whoever gets the buy it now option first wins. If you had taken the mystic on the thread I would have honored your offer. I think when someone says take it on the thread it beats any negotiations or dealings in a private conversation. Does that make sense?

If you're negotiating via PM and someone takes it directly in the thread, the "take it" in the thread would trump the PM negotiation. But from the OP, it sounds like the deal was done via PM, even if the book was not claimed in the thread.

I've received better offers after a book has been taken in my thread, but I stick to the rules and let it go. At the end of the day it prevents headaches like this thread. (thumbsu

26 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

I apologize. Yes First the problem is that I don't ship international but was gonna make an exception for you. second I said in the message. take it on the thread but you didn't as I was dealing with two other ppl interested in the book

another buyer stepped up and took it on the thread. I think that means he wins. no?

It actually looks like the buyer, Omaha, said I'll take per PM and did not put an unconditional :takeit:

if you accepted the first deal with GG it really should be honored, IMO.  Time stamps on each of the PMs will tell the order of events.

18 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

This isn't Ebay and it sounds to me like it was a done deal and not in between negotiations. It may behoove you to cancel the thread take it and honor the deal with Grantley. You can always get $$ back, but respect & integrity can't be bought.

was there statement regarding international shipping in the initial post? or anything requiring an :takeit: in the thread?  those would make a difference in terms of how this is all viewed by an objective observer.

26 minutes ago, Dreamtoreal1 said:

First of all, you posted in the thread that you might make an exception, it's right there. Secondly, the 2nd offer was by pm, too, it was not a straight take it on the boards. I think because you are new, you might be a little or a lot confused.

Do you have the original pms with the time that the person posted that they would take the book and you agreed? 

To clarify.

I posted in the thread about being disappointed that there was no International shipping. I thought that was that.

The Seller pm'd me that if I was willing to pay between 20-25 dollars for shipping then I could have the book for $375. I thanked him and said the shipping was no problem but that the price was too stiff for a 1.8. I offered him $300 plus the shipping. I  told him I understood if this was no good to him, and wished him GLWTS. He pm'd me back with the pm detailed above, word for word. 47 minutes later he pm'd me this...

sorry Paul. someone just messaged me now with a better offer :( next time

end of story.

I'm not embellishing or making this up, why would I?

It's ok. I can deal with it but as a member of a community, it would be remiss of me to pretend this did not happen.

4 minutes ago, Grantley Goddard said:

To clarify.

I posted in the thread about being disappointed that there was no International shipping. I thought that was that.

The Seller pm'd me that if I was willing to pay between 20-25 dollars for shipping then I could have the book for $375. I thanked him and said the shipping was no problem but that the price was too stiff for a 1.8. I offered him $300 plus the shipping. I  told him I understood if this was no good to him, and wished him GLWTS. He pm'd me back with the pm detailed above, word for word. 47 minutes later he pm'd me this...

sorry Paul. someone just messaged me now with a better offer :( next time

end of story.

I'm not embellishing or making this up, why would I?

It's ok. I can deal with it but as a member of a community, it would be remiss of me to pretend this did not happen.

You are right to bring this up, but I think this belongs in the probation forum. It's possibly a probational offense and that's where we keep track of issues like these, plus it's a place people can look to see if someone has been a problem. 

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I have to side with Grantley on this one, seems to be a done deal. If the sale is not honored to Grantley, I believe Grantley has a good case to nominate Pablo for probation.

I didn't have to type;) 

This situation is a little complicated as neither the seller nor first PM buyer posted take it in the thread.  The sales thread is closed but still readable.

Seller posted this in his original selling post:

First  :takeit: in the thread trumps all else. Feel free to drop any questions my way via PM or if you need more pics.   thanks guys! Have more golden n silver age coming soon

Seller agrees to Grantley's PM offer and no one posts take it.

Seller then gets a second PM with a better offer and that buyer posts "take it per PM" in the selling thread.

Which is the first priority on the rules posted?

agreement via PM or

First  :takeit: in the thread trumps all else

The seller obviously agreed to the sale to Grantley, but get the take it up there. Some sellers state something  first offer accepted wins either by take it or PM time stamp.  This was not the case here.

To me the seller should have not accepted another PM offer for less than the take it price, he had a deal with Grantley and did not get a take it without negotiating on the price.  Had a full price offer been made that would be another issue for me.

Edited by boatfund

5 minutes ago, boatfund said:

First  :takeit: in the thread trumps all else.

To me the seller should have not accepted another PM offer for less than the take it price, he had a deal with Grantley and did not get a take it without negotiating on the price.  Had a full price offer been made that would be another issue for me.

I agree that the Seller should not have been negotiating another PM deal. I also thought that "First Take It in the thread trumps all else" is implied to mean an Unconditional Take It trumps all else. It's obvious Grantley really wants this book. I think he should get it.