• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it just me or is this Ebay dealer C-R-A-Z-Y?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

I have been in a battle with an Ebay dealer for the past few days. I'm curious if any has dealt with the guy before. The conversation is in reverse order, so you have to start at the bottom. The comic in question is an X-23 #1 variant CGC 9.8. 

CGC 9.8 X-23 # 1 Limited Edition Wolverine

CGC 9.8 X-23 # 1 Limited Edition W  
Order status: Paid
Paid C $110.00 with PAYPAL on Aug 07, 2017 11:50 PDT
Estimated delivery: Wed. Aug. 16 - Thu. Aug. 24

New message to: allmintcomics

You have the name allmintcomics. I have the name docparnes... one should assume YOU are the dealer and I have something to do with, i dunno, doctoring. Safe to assume though, in this transaction, I'm not the dealer. You seem very upset that I won the auction for less than you wanted, as though I have some control over who I bid and win against. Secondly, I had no idea if i got a good or bad deal, I just wanted the item in the auction I won to be shipped to me with some level of care. As a collector, you would think you would ship the same way you would want to receive - sort of comic book collector golden rule. Instead you tried to spite my win by shipping poorly hoping it would get some damage and I'd return the book on my dime so you could re-list. Also I find it hard to believe that an X23 #1 was the "prize" of your collection with the name "allmintcomics," but a quick perusal of your other auctions should answer that question. And in wanting someone to cherish your beloved book, you sure didn't show that level of care in the way you shipped it. I know if I "loved" a book, I would at least ship it safe with bubblewrap, in a box and write fragile on the box. 

allmintcomics

Thank you for your response.
Again I am sorry that this did not work out for you.
I already asumed that you would not let it go and that you have every intention of causing me pain through this.
I only put the comic up for sale as my wife lost her job to cancer and we are hurting right now 
but this has so far worked out badly for me and it is just getting worse. 
As a collector to have to part with his prize for far below what it is worth is a pain I knew I would have to face some day but I hoped to have sold to other collectors who would cherrish my prize instead of a dealer that only cares about his profit.  
I accept whatever punishment you choose to put on me.
I am sorry for your pain and suffering.  
I deserve what you choose.

docparnes:

Had you been polite I would've likely just said don't worry about it, but you are bitter & unprofessional. My complaint is that you know you are shipping from Canada & by putting that in a manilla envelope with minimal padding you know you can't expect it to arrive intact. But you spew hate at me for getting a good deal on eBay but don't seem to understand I'm not happy you packaged it like a novice. I'm not going to return it. I'll eat the cost, but don't think I'm going to let it go.

allmintcomics

Thank you for response.

I charge too little for shipping to put in box.
I lost over 50.00 on shipping during this auction as flat rate has hurt while I am one of the lowest prices for international shipping on e-bay.
There were 2 auction issues like this the night you won this one. The one that ended 2 hours after yours went for 190 Canadian more.
The only one on e-bay now is selling for almost 400 more than you paid. (Canadian so the average is well above 200.00 more US).
Please send the book back as I will get a new case and re-list for 200.00 plus this time I will ask 30.00 shipping so that I can ship in a box.
Please return this book as from all of my auctions this one went for by far the lowest compaired to what I was expecting.
I felt terrible shipping this one out as usually this book sells for hundreds of dollars more than what I got and that is great for you.
You won this book at such a low price because there was another one later and that really cost me ($200.00) and saved you the same amount.
Please send book back.
If you choose not to send the book back, I have an offer for you.
Go to CGC. Get it re-packaged. Put on e-bay.
I will double the amount you loose compaired to what you paid or you can double the amount you make compaired to what you paid and send me a big cheque.
I am acutally suprised that after you just made 200.00 on me which is the most anyone has ever made on me you are the first and only complaint I have had in the last 10 years. It just goes to show that the more you loose the more dis-satisfied the customer is.
Please send this book back.
Thank you.

docparnes:

Firstly, I think you mean 20$. It wasn't packaged well at all. I'm not defending the USPS as they hurt packages all the time, but wrapping the book in a 1mm thick foam wrap is not the same as bubble wrap in a box. I've been both a buyer and seller on eBay for a long time. The broken case was from your poor packaging, no I can't collect from the postal service only the shipper can and since you overcharged me on shipping, the extra dollar to prevent this would've gone a long way.

allmintcomics

Thank you for your message.
I normally do not accept returns but as you were able to win the auction for about $200.00 below what this book normally sells for, I will happily refund your money if shipped back in condition you stated.
I packed the book carefuly enough that it should not have happened and as you can see by the picture the book and case match the number you now have and were in perfect shape. I assume that USPS mistreated the package and therefor you have the option of going to them for free return shipping (of course I would assume that if they damaged it on purpose on the way out paid for I can only assume that they would do much more damage if the shipping were free so as I said getting the book back to me in the current shape would be a condition of refund and you might have to ship in a steel case to asure yourself the refund).  
I do not have the option of arguing with USPS living in Canada so if it is returned with cracks I will have to live with the fact that the USPS handles packages very poorly and consider no longer shipping to USA.
I have never had a damaged book shipped by Canada Post but have recieved hundreds of badly beaten boxes from USA.  
I am sorry for the problem but perhaps President Trump can make USPS great again?
In the meantime, if you choose to send it back please let me know.
Thank you,

docparnes:

The first good news is the package arrived today. The bad news is there were multiple small cracks on the top 1/3 of the case. The second good news is, I live near CGC and have to go there for a pick up in a few weeks and can drop this off to get re-holdered. The second bad news is that even though I'm an elite submitter or whatever their top tier is, its still going to cost me 12-14$. If you need photos of the damage, just let me know.

have to side with the buyer on this one-a slab in a manila envelope???

Edited by kav

Honestly, neither one of you comes across super-great in this correspondence. Not excusing his poor shipping practices, but it really got out of hand quite quickly and over a small reholder fee. I would've just left negative feedback and moved on with my life. There's way too much drama in this back-and-forth.

the seller did package like a fool - but also offered a return...... I see too much back an forth. After his first message - I would have simply stated that an item not as described case would be opened - asking for the $15 ( or whatever)  re-holder fee ( and you should be able to add images). Explain simply that the cost for return shipping would be more than this.

If they know what they are doing - they refund the fee. IF not - ebay will force a return - - or you might be given the option to keep it. Then neg them.

Keep it simple. Good sellers will take care of the issue, clueless ones will lose a lot of $$$ in return fees and bad rep.....

16 minutes ago, TheUrologist1 said:

I'd love to know how I was anything but polite through the initial correspondence. Only when he continued his blaming me for winning an auction, did I try to throw some sarcasm his way.

The only thing I can think of is why get in a back and forth at all-merely contact him about the damage and ask what can you do for me and what you'd like and if he says no just return it-just return it.  

I just returned a manila envelope purchase as well. Not one but TWO slabs shoved into an envelope. Not surprisingly a large chuck of one of the cases broke off and both had cracks. Seller similarly not interested in refunding re-slabbing even though I offered to pay the shipping myself. What to do... (shrug)

6 minutes ago, OdinsSecrets said:

I just returned a manila envelope purchase as well. Not one but TWO slabs shoved into an envelope. Not surprisingly a large chuck of one of the cases broke off and both had cracks. Seller similarly not interested in refunding re-slabbing even though I offered to pay the shipping myself. What to do... (shrug)

Just put it in a vanilla envelope, take a few whacks at it with a hammer and return.

I've had worse.

IMHO you should've just asked him to refund the amount for a reholder. If he refused, leave negative feedback and move on.

Sellers on eBay should never be bitter about what their books sell for, not when they have the option to list it as a BIN or auction with a reserve etc. He had no right to take that out on you, I agree 100% on that and that he did a krappy packaging job and doesn't seem to want to own that.

You would think that a seller with a 900+ feedback rating has been selling long enough to know:

1) Items with no reserve pricing can actually sell at the opening bid price.

2) Items sold at a loss are just as fragile as items sold at a profit.

3) The high bidder outbid all the other bidders for your item, and is deserving of your thanks.

why bring up the wife with cancer thing? Cancer cost her a job? WTH is that about?

The whole correspondence is juvenile (mostly the seller). His stance on not getting his price or LOSING $200 or perceived value is whiney BS. That one response he asked you to return the book seemed like 5 times-- and with very bad grammar throughout (pet peeve when people use LOOSE instead of LOSE)

Clearly the guy has no grasp of sarcasm and it sounds like he packaged it poorly on purpose.

A smart seller knows to just send German newspapers. *

* :jokealert:

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:

(pet peeve when people use LOOSE instead of LOSE)

also "It's tail and Book's for sale"

Just now, OdinsSecrets said:

I returned it properly packed in a box so maybe the seller will take a hint... :eyeroll:

:roflmao:

I thought the buyer's side of the conversation was civil.  I had a similar eBay win for a NM raw Walking Dead #1 that I won "cheap" before it exploded.  I think I won it for something like $80 when it was going for $250 at the time.  The seller packaged it in an envelope with absolutely no protection (just the bag and backing board).  Needless to say, it was nowhere near NM when I received it (probably about a FN/VF or possibly VF-) and clearly a result of the poor packaging as the creases lines up with those on the envelope.  I explained to the seller that his poor packaging turned a $250 comic into $100 comic and returned it (even though it was still worth more than I paid) and packaged it properly (put his envelope inside a box with packing peanuts).  I didn't even try to get a partial refund.  It was more for principle.  Not sure if I left a neg.  I suspect I left a neutral with comment of how the comic was packaged for shipping.  I wanted to warn others of the seller's habits.  Yes, it is sad when sellers, who don't get what they think they should have, take shortcuts with packaging in order to cut their losses.  Just bad business.