• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK vs THOR!!!
3 3

86 posts in this topic

Hulk 1 came out in April, 1962. JIM 83 came out in August of that same year. Hulk #1 has about 1100 unrestored copies in the CGC census, JIM #83 has about 1240 unrestored copies in the CGC census. It's pretty standard to say that AF15, Hulk1, and FF1 are the 3 key marvel silver age books that are the toughest to find, and most significant, as well as valuable (btw AF15 came out same time as JIM83). Hulk 1 is certainly pricier than JIM 83. My question is, with census numbers so close, and Thor being perhaps a more interesting leading man in the marvel films, do you think that JIM83 may one day surpass HULK1 in terms of importance to collectors, and/or value in grade? the disparity seems greater than it ought to be. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.    

1 hour ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Hulk 1 came out in April, 1962. JIM 83 came out in August of that same year. Hulk #1 has about 1100 unrestored copies in the CGC census, JIM #83 has about 1240 unrestored copies in the CGC census. It's pretty standard to say that AF15, Hulk1, and FF1 are the 3 key marvel silver age books that are the toughest to find, and most significant, as well as valuable (btw AF15 came out same time as JIM83). Hulk 1 is certainly pricier than JIM 83. My question is, with census numbers so close, and Thor being perhaps a more interesting leading man in the marvel films, do you think that JIM83 may one day surpass HULK1 in terms of importance to collectors, and/or value in grade? the disparity seems greater than it ought to be. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.    

Newsstand-3..jpg

It's a matter of personal taste, but I enjoyed collecting SA Thor comics even more than SA Hulk, as the former had consistently better stories and more of the Kirby touch.  As for their first issues, I agree that JIM83 is underappreciated comparing the huge price differential.  I have no idea, though, whether the Marvel Universe on film will in any way and at any time change this disparity.

Meanwhile, Thor versus Hulk!

JIM112.JPG.c5c076335056c13fb7d37e0724d11fb0.JPG

Edited by namisgr
added a sentence

Thor isn't going to pass Hulk if Hulk keeps beating Thor easily in the movies lol

In all seriousness I do see Thor gaining some ground on Hulk in the future but it's hard for me to imagine 1st Thor would ever pass 1st Hulk...

...even long after the superhero movie craze has come and gone.

Just my 2c

13 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

No I don't see Thor passing Hulk. As for the top 3 books I would say it is more like AF15, and Hulk 1 + SC4 tied or close together. SC4 is the toughest book of the 3. AF15 is the AC1 of the SA and Hulk 1 is the TEC27.

That said JIM83 is a top 5 book for sure so on that basis alone it is well respected and a lot of collectors want to own the book. I wish it would since I own a CGC 6.0 JIM83 and a Hulk 1 CGC 4.5 but it won't surpass it. Personally I prefer Hulk over Thor. Kids will almost always prefer Hulk as well he is easy to understand (gets mad = gets big and breaks things) versus Thor's complicated outer world stuff.

Edited by SC22

20 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

It's impossible to say.

The current comic market doesn't follow any previous logic or historical value. They only follow whatever big money is pumping on TV this week.

Thor could easily become more valuable than Hulk one day or it could easily never be more valuable.

I agree with @namisgr Thor had great story telling. And I've heard (but can't remember the source) that it was Kirby's favorite to draw. Certain the art can be magical in those stories. It was my last big SA collecting endeavor before I became a full time seller. Love Thor.

And Hulk #1.

9 hours ago, SC22 said:

No I don't see Thor passing Hulk. As for the top 3 books I would say it is more like AF15, and Hulk 1 + SC4 tied or close together. SC4 is the toughest book of the 3. AF15 is the AC1 of the SA and Hulk 1 is the TEC27.

That said JIM83 is a top 5 book for sure so on that basis alone it is well respected and a lot of collectors want to own the book. I wish it would since I own a CGC 6.0 JIM83 and a Hulk 1 CGC 4.5 but it won't surpass it. Personally I prefer Hulk over Thor. Kids will almost always prefer Hulk as well he is easy to understand (gets mad = gets big and breaks things) versus Thor's complicated outer world stuff.

thanks for your input on this! i'm sure no one would argue that SC4 is the toughest of all silver age books, but my post is specifically talking about marvel silver age. just to be clear...

22 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

Edited by pemart1966

35 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

thanks for your input on this! i'm sure no one would argue that SC4 is the toughest of all silver age books, but my post is specifically talking about marvel silver age. just to be clear...

Then it's AF15, Hulk 1 and FF1. Like I said JIM83 is a top 5 book not a top 3 book. I can't say never but I am pretty sure it won't happen in the next 10 years for sure. I still am a firm believer that FF1 will pick back up. It's to important of a book to just stay in the slow lane and be passed by JIM83.

Edited by SC22

6 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Then it's AF15, Hulk 1 and FF1. Like I said JIM83 is a top 5 book not a top 3 book. I can't say never but I am pretty sure it won't happen in the next 10 years for sure.

(tsk) its AF-15 Hulk 1 than JIM 83 :headbang: FF-1 is behind JIM 83 been that way for years. IMO so don't get mad but Really FF-1 over JIM-83 :preach:

Edited by woowoo

3 minutes ago, woowoo said:

(tsk) its AF-15 Hulk 1 than JIM 83 FF-1 is behind JIM 83 been that way for years. IMO so don't get mad but Really FF-1 over JIM-83 :preach:

Seriously value wise (popularity wise OK)? I don't care much I own JIM83 and I don't own a FF1 but I believe in my above statement. I want a FF1 someday.

Edited by SC22

6 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Seriously value wise?

Yes................. I will say I would take a FF-1 in 9.0 or better over JIM- 83  so on that point you might be right both books in 9.4 I would give the FF-1 the winner

popularity Thor wins

Edited by woowoo

I don't get your comment? FF1 is simply more expensive and JIM83 over the past few years has been more popular not more valuable. In what grade (s) is JIM83 more valuable than FF1?

I purchased my JIM83 in CGC 6.0 a few years ago and it has not gone up ''one penny'' almost since then.

Edited by SC22

Just now, SC22 said:

I don't get your comment? FF1 is simply more expensive and JIM83 over the past few years has been more popular not more valuable.

I think most people would put JIM-83 in front of FF-1 if you took a poll. I don't know how to do a poll on these new boards.

3 minutes ago, woowoo said:

I think most people would put JIM-83 in front of FF-1 if you took a poll. I don't know how to do a poll on these new boards.

Yes in popularity right now but in value no way. Neither book has increased in value for years now. FF1 is on a down turn for the last few years but that will change eventually when AF15 and Hulk 1 become expensive enough that most people can't but a copy anymore. The exact same thing is happening in the GA era some books are just to expensive for most so now people buy the next best thing they can afford.

Edited by SC22

59 minutes ago, SC22 said:

Yes in popularity right now but in value no way. Neither book has increased in value for years now. FF1 is on a down turn for the last few years but that will change eventually when AF15 and Hulk 1 become expensive enough that most people can't but a copy anymore. The exact same thing is happening in the GA era some books are just to expensive for most so now people buy the next best thing they can afford.

I started a poll. I would like to know which book most people say has more value (thumbsu