• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HULK vs THOR!!!
3 3

86 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, namisgr said:

(thumbsu  That's my old copy.  Posted it on page 1 of this thread.

Awesome!  Were you the original owner, or if not where did you pick it up?

I went back to look, and the pic you posted shows a 9.2 but it certainly does look like the same book.  Hope you don't mind my asking, but do you know when the book was resubmitted to CGC?  And was it pressed along the way?  Just curious ... I almost never know anything about the history of the books I buy.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

7 hours ago, namisgr said:

I do miss the old SA collection, James, especially the pedigree comics bought raw in the days before CGC, like the small runs of Pacific Coast FFs and Journeys, the small run of ten cent Massachusetts Detectives, and the handful of keys.  There's just something special about owning multiple SA books in sharp condition from the same original owner collection, especially when the collection is important to the hobby and the books are unslabbed and in their original state (i.e., haven't been manipulated for re-sale).

That said, they don't have as much sentimental value as the BA comics I bought, read, and collected when they were new, which I've still got many longboxes of and have only begun to sell in bulk.

I can only imagine the excitement you must have felt when the Pacific Coasts started hitting your doorstep,,,, and you realized they were the real deal. Those things got snapped up so quickly. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Awesome!  Were you the original owner, or if not where did you pick it up?

I went back to look, and the pic you posted shows a 9.2 but it certainly does look like the same book.  Hope you don't mind my asking, but do you know when the book was resubmitted to CGC?  And was it pressed along the way?  Just curious ... I almost never know anything about the history of the books I buy.

I'm not the original owner (didn't start buying and saving comics until 1972), and bought it slabbed many years ago.  It was resubbed after I sold it via an auction house in 2010.  It may have been pressed, as the top edge toward the right has that 'starched collar' appearance, and the pages appear to stick out a wee bit more near the top.

Edited by namisgr

7 hours ago, namisgr said:

I'm not the original owner (didn't start buying and saving comics until 1972), and bought it slabbed many years ago.  It was resubbed after I sold it via an auction house in 2010.  It may have been pressed, as the top edge toward the right has that 'starched collar' appearance, and the pages appear to stick out a wee bit more near the top.

The biggest difference I see is in the yellow banner, especially around the word "vs." -- assuming that I'm seeing a crease in the 9.2 image that's actually on the book and not some scanner artifact.

Thanks again for the background!  I was disappointed that my old raw copy only got a 7.5, so I was eager to upgrade.

On 8/20/2017 at 1:31 PM, FineCollector said:

Wholeheartedly disagree on several levels.  Poor writing killed the movie franchise, but give the FF back to Marvel Studios, and it'll be a major success.  Sue is girl power, Thing is the gruff but loveable, humourous brute, Torch is the hotshot heartthrob.  All of those are easy to like for all ages, and get Reed to out-talk and out-smart Stark, and everyone will like Reed too.  The previous movies forcefed viewers those tropes, and expected you to like them without a reason, rather than letting you explore them yourself.  The Fantastic Four are a family, and it's the love amid the bickering, and concern for one another that sets them apart, and makes them easy to empathize with.  I'm of the opinion that anyone who doesn't like the Fantastic Four hasn't read Fantastic Four.

Agreed....could not have said it any better.....  FF has all the elements of a fantastic movie franchise if done properly... so Gaurdians of the Galaxy and Ant Man can make it but a FF franchise done by marvel can't?  

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Can we all bear another reboot though? At least to those who are not comic enthusiasts like us? Would be hard to sell after 2 unsuccessful outings. 

Mark Ruffalo represents the third attempt at the Hulk, so I guess anything is possible.

Oh, and they are on their third Spider-Man as well (though unlike the Hulk and the FF the first two Spider-Men weren't considered disappointments).

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

16 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Mark Ruffalo represents the third attempt at the Hulk, so I guess anything is possible.

Oh, and they are on their third Spider-Man as well (though unlike the Hulk and the FF the first two Spider-Men weren't considered disappointments).

Ruffalo might be the best portrayal of Hulk we have seen so far, but I thought that Norton's Hulk  movie was pretty good and entertaining.  I would've been fine if he continued on that role to later movies.  Didn't like Bana's at all.  I think I fell asleep a couple times lol 

I think if Marvel does some sort of storyline that involves Galactus heavily with the FF in a three-part movie series than ya that might work.

On 9/9/2017 at 1:17 PM, Dark Knight said:

Can we all bear another reboot though? At least to those who are not comic enthusiasts like us? Would be hard to sell after 2 unsuccessful outings. 

ruffalo's hulk is an ensemble player, not a lead. and when the most promising potential project in the near future is a movie about your main villain, (the dr doom movie idea that was only suggested at comiccon) then i think it suggests that the main property is not going to be put in theaters again for a long while. maybe they dont have fatal issues, but i always liked von doom more than the ff. am i alone?

On 9/9/2017 at 4:47 PM, SECollector said:

Throw me as many tomatoes as you all guys want, but I actually just rewatched the original FF movie from 2005 and I confirmed that I really enjoy it. More than the vast majority of other Marvel movies. :popcorn: 

I enjoyed all the FF movies!! I have yet to watch a superhero movie that I did not like (that includes the old Superman and Batman movies).

Edited by SC22

22 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

ruffalo's hulk is an ensemble player, not a lead. and when the most promising potential project in the near future is a movie about your main villain, (the dr doom movie idea that was only suggested at comiccon) then i think it suggests that the main property is not going to be put in theaters again for a long while. maybe they dont have fatal issues, but i always liked von doom more than the ff. am i alone?

I agree. Dr. Doom is my favorite marvel villain. Would be great to see a movie under his name.

If you try to go solo with Doom, I fear that they would go with the "misunderstood genius, fiercely following his own drummer, but truly loves his people (etc.)" angle.

I hate that angle.

Read Mark Waid's "Unthinkable" story to get the real Dr. Doom. Or FF 57-60, of course...

On 9/10/2017 at 4:53 PM, TomDehnert said:

can someone do me a solid and please explain all the abbreviations i know jim and am15 ff but what are the rest complete newb i guess?

FF = Fantastic Four.

SA = Silver Age.

AF15 = Amazing Fantasy 15

Are there any other abbreviations or acronyms that need translating? 

On 8/19/2017 at 11:39 AM, SC22 said:

No I don't see Thor passing Hulk. As for the top 3 books I would say it is more like AF15, and Hulk 1 + SC4 tied or close together. SC4 is the toughest book of the 3. AF15 is the AC1 of the SA and Hulk 1 is the TEC27.

That said JIM83 is a top 5 book for sure so on that basis alone it is well respected and a lot of collectors want to own the book. I wish it would since I own a CGC 6.0 JIM83 and a Hulk 1 CGC 4.5 but it won't surpass it. Personally I prefer Hulk over Thor. Kids will almost always prefer Hulk as well he is easy to understand (gets mad = gets big and breaks things) versus Thor's complicated outer world stuff.

some of the acronyms in this im not following very well

6 hours ago, Dave2739 said:

FF = Fantastic Four.

SA = Silver Age.

AF15 = Amazing Fantasy 15

Are there any other abbreviations or acronyms that need translating? 

check the above post please those are the ones i was really trting to figure out at the begining of the thread. Thanks.

37 minutes ago, TomDehnert said:

some of the acronyms in this im not following very well

On the Marvel side:

• AF = Amazing Fantasy
  • ASM = Amazing Spider-Man
  • Cap = Captain America
  • DD = Daredevil
  • FF = Fantastic Four
  • JIM = Journey into Mystery
  • TOS = Tales of Suspense
  • TTA = Tales to Astonish

Over on DC:

• AC = Action Comics
  • BB = Brave and the Bold
  • SC = Showcase
  • TEC = Detective Comics

GA = Golden Age (basically the late '30s and '40s), SA = Silver Age (late '50s, '60s), BA = Bronze Age ('70s)

Edited by Sweet Lou 14