• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 23-26, 2018
1 1

233 posts in this topic

went back this morning, picked up a few more books and did a deal with a dealer for 4 short boxes.

c2e2 may have more dealers, more book etc, but this show for me was an amazing buying show. I'm already looking forward to 2019

1 minute ago, mysterio said:

So was this show as good as usual, or did it take a step down?

I mainly purchase copper and modern books and this is the most money I’ve ever spent at this show and most books ive purchased 

6 minutes ago, mysterio said:

So was this show as good as usual, or did it take a step down?

When I wasn't busy hiding from people I don't like I enjoyed the show. There were several dealers who were not there that used to be regulars at this show and the only time it seemed really busy was Saturday afternoon. If you were willing to look there were a lot of good books at the show from all ages.

Maybe some dealers can chime in to say how good or bad of a show it was for them.

On 8/25/2018 at 3:41 PM, TheWatcher said:

The crowds have picked up since then. It's a decent turnout

I didn't attend the shows -- conflicted with schools on the first week.  I only managed to trade comic books outside of the convention at the hotel. The dealer told me that few people showed up on Thursday and Friday.  How's about today?

8 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I didn't attend the shows -- conflicted with schools on the first week.  I only managed to trade comic books outside of the convention at the hotel. The dealer told me that few people showed up on Thursday and Friday.  How's about today?

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to attend today. Hopefully someone that was there today will let us know

2 hours ago, Logan510 said:

When I wasn't busy hiding from people I don't like I enjoyed the show. There were several dealers who were not there that used to be regulars at this show and the only time it seemed really busy was Saturday afternoon. If you were willing to look there were a lot of good books at the show from all ages.

Maybe some dealers can chime in to say how good or bad of a show it was for them.

I’m curious how it was from a dealer standpoint too. I spoke to a couple and reviews were mixed. The fact that some regulars were not in attendance is also a worrying sign. 

9 hours ago, chromium said:

Happy Bechara Maalouf was set up this year after two years of missing the show. He always brings the goods. Last few years there wasn’t that much OA in the room. 

If you were at the show looking for oa or commissions, this wasnt the show for you.   The artist alley list was pretty bad.  

1 hour ago, eewwnuk said:

If you were at the show looking for oa or commissions, this wasnt the show for you.   The artist alley list was pretty bad.  

I noticed this as well. I usually go through there to support self publishers and didn't really see any familiar names. On a side note I was chatting with a self publisher and listened to his pitch and he said he had a convention special of the first four issues for $10. I wasn't ready to commit $10 but said I would buy the first one and he refused to sell it saying he was only selling in the bundle. If someone showed interest in my book I would sell one in a heart beat. I never experienced anything like it. I said ok and handed the book I was holding back and walked away. Weird.

3 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I noticed this as well. I usually go through there to support self publishers and didn't really see any familiar names. On a side note I was chatting with a self publisher and listened to his pitch and he said he had a convention special of the first four issues for $10. I wasn't ready to commit $10 but said I would buy the first one and he refused to sell it saying he was only selling in the bundle. If someone showed interest in my book I would sell one in a heart beat. I never experienced anything like it. I said ok and handed the book I was holding back and walked away. Weird.

That is weird. What if someone had been buying the book at their LCS and just missed issue #3? Are they really not going to sell a single to a fan who has been supporting them? I’m with you, get the work out there however you can. If someone wants to buy a single issue, sell it to them. 

1 minute ago, mysterio said:

That is weird. What if someone had been buying the book at their LCS and just missed issue #3? Are they really not going to sell a single to a fan who has been supporting them? I’m with you, get the work out there however you can. If someone wants to buy a single issue, sell it to them. 

I am guessing he printed the exact number or something but very short sighted. That one sale could have turned into more or good word of mouth for them instead I'm typing this.