• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago -- August 23-26, 2018
1 1

233 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Saturday was dead. Metropolis had the smallest booth I’ve ever seen of theirs. I think this was my last WW.  I’ll stuck with C2E2

Metropolis is not really there to sell , mostly to pick up new inventory. Vinnie is very active at other dealer's booths. They are in the same genre as Clink, CGC, Heritage, etc. Just a presence. Why has State Farm Insurance been there every year lately ? They really don't insurance comic books without a detailed Personal Articles Policy. 

25 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Metropolis is not really there to sell , mostly to pick up new inventory. Vinnie is very active at other dealer's booths. They are in the same genre as Clink, CGC, Heritage, etc. Just a presence. Why has State Farm Insurance been there every year lately ? They really don't insurance comic books without a detailed Personal Articles Policy. 

I bought 10 or so books from Metropolis. I had arraigned it ahead of time. Just saved a little on shipping.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:59 PM, mysterio said:

This is kind of the impression I’ve gotten too. Very little enthusiasm during or after this show in this thread aside from Hector, and the few pics posted show fairly empty aisles. I know of a couple dealers who’ve said that this might have been their last setup there. 

There is/was a thread in CG about the boards themselves being slower than usual. Maybe the shutterbugs don't post as much any more? Not here to stoke that debate.

I thought there were plenty of Golden Age books in the room (not my area of collecting), but I cannot say if it's the same stock that was at C2E2. I don't travel to cons around the country, or frequent dealer websites. If I see the same book(s) twice a year, they are going to look new to me.

There was plenty of Silver Age in the room. I can't afford the ultra-high grades, but I made a few mid-lower grade purchases (raw). Most of the slabs that I looked at were priced (at least) a GPA grade above the most recent sale, which is fine, but I was not a buyer. Key books in low grade slabs were not plentiful. I bought one slab all weekend.

Lots of Bronze/Copper, on walls and in $0.50 - $5.00 boxes. Maybe not the independent publishers of the early Copper Age, but I did see some "underground" and "adult" boxes around the show. Saw quiet a few magazine boxes as well, but cannot comment on the contents.

I can't keep up with Moderns and all of the variants, and I wouldn't know if a rare book fell into my lap.

I needed three full days to check out every dealer and decide what I was buying, and from whom. Day Four is reserved for walking the show with my daughter. We went to Artist Alley and I think I saw one lone artist working on a sketch, with maybe three recognizable comic book artists overall. Everyone else was selling prints or something other than comic art. This is a far cry from Alleys of yore.

The 'vibe' was subdued in the main hall. Recent shows had more announcements over the loud speaker for photo opportunities and loud music blaring from some steampunk clothing vendor. If that's the vibe that people think is missing, I'm ok with subdued.

I feel fortunate that Chicago is currently supporting two major shows, and hope that it continues to do so. Many factors will play into that decision, and I will ride the wave wherever it takes me.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:57 PM, mysterio said:

What did you think of the selection of books and dealers?

I couldn't tell you.  I go to cons mainly for the art nowadays.  and art at this show was pretty minimal - unless all you wanted was a $200 liefeld deadpool scribble. 

I went Friday only as is our custom for 7 years now. We like the ritual of taking off work and I like the better selection of comics. Traffic coming in, the parking garage, and the cattle lines all were a little light. I think it is attributable to the later date (kids are back to school and WW didn't want to compete with that horror fest from last year). We noticed immediately that the programming was weak; one guy in line with us commented on how the programming was posted way late and there was no kids programming posted as of Friday. This, according to him, was a detractor as he likes to do reconnaissance ahead of Saturday with the family. The VIP presence was also down IMO. 

I thought the selection of books was great! I had choice in my collecting categories, spent all my money for the first time in 3 years, and could have spent another $150. As always, cash is king and dealers will work a deal for cash money. I filled my backpack with books and only bought one T-shirt.

I also had more competition. I picked alongside a guy who was pulling Spawns and Usagi Yojimbos right behind me; I had to wait my turn to pick undergrounds. Every box without exception. One guy picked a couple platinum Books of Magic #1s right in front of me for $5 each. I couldn't help but comment "damn dude, those books are a score." I found PLENTY of fun $2 books with upside (moderns) and picked the only raw NM Spawn #222 in the room (saw one in 9.8 for $150). I had choice in my mid to low grade early X-Men, and shopped the room before capping off my day at Superworld with the following: 

162075159_xmen7.thumb.jpg.f81a71212005c8dc59400d7dc289e090.jpg

1142156540_xmen17.thumb.jpg.d81a9a27229fb45aa22fbfb9a2fdedd5.jpg

1454066241_xmen19.thumb.jpg.4b888ef1b89e7374e30625b5de9e826e.jpg

By the time I made it to artist alley I had only $11 to spread around on stickers and one cheapie print. 

That said, it felt slower to me. And while I too asked dealers how their show was going thus far and got largely positive responses, with all hopeful for Saturday... I worry for the future of this show. 

PS. The prices at Gibson's went up!  :cry:

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Did anyone take any pictures? :shy:

I’ve wondered the same thing. I think I’ll still plan to go up and attend Thur-Fri next year, even though the consensus seems to be that the show is in decline. 

On 8/29/2018 at 10:34 AM, WoWitHurts said:

I bought 10 or so books from Metropolis. I had arraigned it ahead of time. Just saved a little on shipping.

I did with Superworld Comics outside of the show after hours. Just saved money from buying the ticket and parking fees.

Edited by JollyComics

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Did anyone take any pictures? :shy:

I got a few from the Gibsons dinner and Bedrock City wall books, but that was it. Unfortunately wasn't able to get around and take more pics :sorry: