• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question For Ya'll

20 posts in this topic

I set up at the Pensacola Comic-con today.  Grabbed a couple CGC stabbed comics with me.  Put up one on my "wall" and it was fine.  Went back later and the slab looked like it exploded. Big cracks along the front and back of the slab.  It wasn't dropped or anything like that.  Was just sitting there.  Has anyone seen something like this before?  Weird.

Jim

I have not seen this in person, but have had one person tell me about something similar.  They had a CGC slabbed book that seemed to get a long crack along the bottom for no apparent reason. They said they received the book in the mail (a purchase) and it was fine. They put it in a box with other slabs and when they went to get it out a few weeks later it had the big long crack. 

Same thing happened to me.  I received a poorly packed CGC slab once, however I didn't notice anything chipped or cracked, thought it was very lucky not to get damaged in the mail.  A couple of weeks later I picked it out of my slab box to photo and the slab literally made a pop sound in my hands.  And a big crack had developed on the back top corner.  I was not putting any pressure on the slab.  Perhaps a slab can be weakened and break later under a minor stress.

I'm doing really well.  Thank you for asking.  Haven't been in the comics game much since I retired from the military and got a government job.  Probably working harder now then then.  Still try to stay abreast with the hobby as much as possible but really haven't had the time.  How have you been Mr. Ryan?

I haven't done a show since those I did in Germany/Austria.  In fact, this is the first show I've done in the US.  I did pretty well my first day but being the only dealer with actual comics at a show with plenty of pop culture dealers at a proposed "Comic-con" may have something to do with it.  Bought a big collection (65 boxes) of primarily late-Silver/Bronze comics last March from a former co-worker who needed the money.

Well...this slab crack has me dumbfounded.  I know it was good when I put it on the wall.  Then later, it cracked to all hell.  I was there the whole time, so I am at a lost why.

Jim

6 minutes ago, boatfund said:

Same thing happened to me.  I received a poorly packed CGC slab once, however I didn't notice anything chipped or cracked, thought it was very lucky not to get damaged in the mail.  A couple of weeks later I picked it out of my slab box to photo and the slab literally made a pop sound in my hands.  And a big crack had developed on the back top corner.  I was not putting any pressure on the slab.  Perhaps a slab can be weakened and break later under a minor stress.

I've had this slab for years.  Never a problem.  Put it up this morning.  Perfect. Was talking with a person about the wall books later and it has big cracks on the front and back and spider cracks on the edges.  Again weird.

Jim

I have an old (red label) Secret Wars #8 that had a crack appear after years.   Never dropped it.  Heck, hardly ever took it out of the box for years until a few months ago when I had someone point it out to me. 

I haven't seen it happen before, but I do have lots of slabs that are now cracked that I can't remember them being cracked before.  I usually blame it on gravity since I had stacks of slabs at one point, but now I wonder.

Anyway, "ya'll" is a word you've chosen to use in the topic title, but "ya'll" isn't the right word.

The phrase is "you all" so if you take out some letters it's "y'all".

Courtesy... your friendly neighborhood redneck.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I haven't seen it happen before, but I do have lots of slabs that are now cracked that I can't remember them being cracked before.  I usually blame it on gravity since I had stacks of slabs at one point, but now I wonder.

Anyway, "ya'll" is a word you've chosen to use in the topic title, but "ya'll" isn't the right word.

The phrase is "you all" so if you take out some letters it's "y'all".

Courtesy... your friendly neighborhood redneck.

That's what auto correct spells it as, y'all, also speech to text recognition lol I never bothered to wonder if it was correct ha, as I don't use it often in writing/texting, but good to know :) 

7 hours ago, awe4one said:

So you all think this is a freak occurance?

Yes - Except when someone drops the slab, which is probably what happened to this one.