• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The elusive Magnus Robot Fighter # 46

4 posts in this topic

I've been trying to build a solid NM (9.4 or better) set of the Gold Key Magnus Robot Fighter run for the last five years.

About 15 months ago I basically finished, and now have # 1-46 in average 9.6, with only three books remaining below 9.4.

Predictably, these are all drawn from the lesser collected 1970s reprints:

# 33 (9.0)

# 37 (9.2)

# 46 (9.0)

I posted this in the "Want to Buy" section yesterday but I wanted to highlight this here as well as a call to dealers and others who may have high-grade raws sitting in their boxes somewhere.

I'm getting really frustrated with Magnus # 46 (the last issue).

I've bought 4 copies of Magnus 46 and slabbed two -- nothing's yet broken the 9.0 threshhold.

Despite what the CGC Census says, the highest graded copy is currently a 9.0 -- the 9.4 was a label mistake on one of my submissions that they never removed.

I currently own three of the four highest-graded copies of this book (in CGC 9.0, 8.5, and 8.0).

Please let me know if you have 9.4 potentials of any of these three books.

Specifcally, here's what I'm willing to pay for Magnus # 46:

Raw 9.2 -- $50

Raw 9.4 -- $80

If you have a high-grade copy & slab it yourself, even better. For that, I'll pay:

CGC 9.2 -- $150

CGC 9.4 -- $250

CGC 9.6 -- $400

Magnus 46.jpg

On 8/20/2017 at 6:44 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I've bought 4 copies of Magnus 46 and slabbed two -- nothing's yet broken the 9.0 threshhold.

Did you buy my copy?  I can't remember . . . :preach:

1 hour ago, divad said:

Did you buy my copy?  I can't remember . . . :preach:

Sadly no.

My 9.0 came from a 2011 Comiclink auction of the complete Magnus run.

My 8.5 was a raw "9.2/9.4" bought from Steve Ritter (World Wide Comics).

My 8.0 is a former Voldermort 9.4 that came from boardie Cloud Cloddie via last spring's Comiclink auction.

I'm a decent grader who has self-subbed maybe 10 issues of Gold Key Magnus. All three of these books looked like solid 9.2/9.4s, so I'm wondering if it's got a structural defect of some sort that tends to keep it out of NM.

I say that as someone who has 15 of the 46 Magnus issues in CGC 9.8.

Edited by Gatsby77