• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can any Moebius/ French comic art expert tell me if this piece is real Moebius art?

11 posts in this topic

I wrote here about my experience of walking into comic shop in a village in France whilst on my holiday and finding a bunch of comic art including some pieces by Moebius.  

I had no way of confirming if these were authentic. Also my knowledge of European art is limited, so I didn't now if price was a fair value.  The main issue was that I spoke very little French and the owner spoke very little English, so I did not understand everything he was saying.  But the owner seemed genuine and I liked Moebius enough and didn't think I'd get another opportunity like this to own a Moebius piece. So I took the risk and bought the piece below for €400. 

The owner also gave me a certificate of authenticity, image of which is below.  He said that this was a part of other pieces that were separated. The image of the certificate is also below.  But the certificate is in French and there doesn't seem to be any way to be sure that the certificate is for his piece. 

Could anyone here confirm if this is actually an authentic Moebius / Jean Giraud.

Also, is anyone familiar with the where it was published or seen it in its published form. Accordingly to the certificate, it was on page 36/37 of the magazine L'Echo de Savanes no12.

Any help would be appreciated. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Skizz

The certificate is about four pieces of art published in "l'écho des savanes" issue #12 magazine. As the picture cannot be properly seen, not possible to say if it matches this drawing.

Thanks for locating this. I didn't understand everything the owner said because of the language barrier.  But I believe that this piece along with the other pieces he had (including a color piece) were supposed to be sold at another place, but that got cancelled for some reason.  Or something along those lines. This this probably the site he mentioned.  He also said that all these pieces originally came from someone who knew Moebius 

I am not a Moebius expert but style and lettering look like his. The certificate was issued from Daniel Maghen gallery which is one of the biggest comic art dealer in France so if the drawing matches the certificate, you can be sure it is genuine Moebius art.

The artwork looks good and as BPLZ said, Daniel Maghen is one of the biggest gallery in France. Even if the art is sold, thanks to the id on the certificate You can still see the pictures on Daniel Maghen's website (see below). Which means that the certificate is real. The only point is that, on your picture, the artwork seems to be cut but I don't see anything on DM's picture ...  

51753-4.jpg

(other pictures: http://www.danielmaghen.com/images/planches/51753-1.jpg , http://www.danielmaghen.com/images/planches/51753-2.jpg and http://www.danielmaghen.com/images/planches/51753-3.jpg )

The only point is that, on your picture, the artwork seems to be cut but I don't see anything on DM's picture ...  

On 22 August 2017 at 6:27 PM, NicoV said:

It looks like after the picture on the Daniel Maghen website was taken, they separated/cut out the image and then writing and then changed their mind and taped it on the back. That's how it is now.

But I think overall it's safe to say that this is a real Moebius art.

Thanks for all the help guys. 

Edited by Skizz