• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Singularity

1 post in this topic

Okay, so I don't frequent other forums and if this topic has been covered elsewhere just point me in the right direction and let this thread wither away. Wither whether. Whether it is marvel Superheroes, Baker romance, Centaurs, Peps, pre-code horror, DC keys or pretty much everything except Classics Illustrated, driven by scarcity or Hollywood, we've seen prices rocket in recent years.

It makes me wonder. In his last years, Picasso became manic, and painted so many paintings that he filled an entire castle, and it is said that his estate has to be managed very carefully because the aggregate value of the paintings would swamp the market.

And from Wikipedia:

The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology is a 2005 non-fiction book about artificial intelligence and the future of humanity by inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil.

The book builds on the ideas introduced in Kurzweil's previous books, The Age of Intelligent Machines (1990) and The Age of Spiritual Machines (1999). This time, however, Kurzweil embraces the term the Singularity, which was popularized by Vernor Vinge in his 1993 essay "The Coming Technological Singularity" more than a decade earlier.[1]

Kurzweil describes his law of accelerating returns which predicts an exponential increase in technologies like computers, genetics, nanotechnology, robotics and artificial intelligence. Once the Singularity has been reached, Kurzweil says that machine intelligence will be infinitely more powerful than all human intelligence combined. Afterwards he predicts intelligence will radiate outward from the planet until it saturates the universe.

So my question is, for those who care to consider it, at what point will comic collecting approach the singularity, and how will it be defined? Or to put it another way, at what point will the value of comic books exceed the theoretical capacity of collectors to afford them?

And what happens then?