• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: How old are you?
3 3

Yeah....so how old are you? Pick only one unless you are a time traveler.  

218 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• 0-15 (Look Mom, I collect comics)
    • 16-20 (I can drive! And I collect comics)
    • 21-25 (I love Ramen Noodles and Comics!)
    • 26-30 (Now that I have a job, I can buy more comics!)
    • 31-35 (Honey, keep the kids away from my books!)
    • 36-40 (I'll read that book when I get back from taking the kids to soccer)
    • 41-45 (Gotta sell my books to put the kids through college)
    • 46-50 (Ok, don't tell my spouse about the book I bought)
    • 51-55 (I'll buy a key if I want...I'm the boss!)
    • 56-60 (Need to add a few more issues to my collection)
    • 61-65 (I may be retiring, but I'm keeping my comics!)
    • 66-70 (Yes, Wolverine is cool, but let me tell you about Blackhawk)
    • 70-75 (Hmmm....where'd I put that comic? I was just reading it a second ago)
    • 76-80 (When I was a kid, I bought an Action 1 from a yard sale)
    • 81-100 (I finally finished my run!)

62 posts in this topic

56 and retired 5 months.  And, I can draw on my 401K, because that's the deal I signed up for - no moths.

7 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

true but when was the last time an Elvis movie or TV show came out? While I don't disagree that the hobby is aging rapidly, there is still some chance that new generations will find these books as collectible as we do. The real question is how much people dumping their collections will impact the overall supply -- either through preparing to downsize their possessions or their heirs taking care of it after their demise. That may be the whole reason most collectors seem to focus mostly on key issues.

The best approach is to not look at the books as an investment at all and just something you enjoy. You might scrape some funds out of them if you need to but counting on it seems risky.

Based on what I have seen doing shows in Alberta from 1999 until today, there are more young collectors now than there were in the late 90s through mid 00s. The past few years I have seen a huge uptick in the number of young women (18-25 yo) that collect comics. 

The difference between now and then is that the young collectors are focusing predominantly on keys. It is the 40+ crowd that is more likely to collect runs.

19 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Bothers me that this hobby barely has a under 30 crowd....  seems like holding on to comics long term may be a bad investment if the younger crowds are not interested because they are out snap-chatting each other in their social networks.

Yea, that's something to think about.  I think most collectors are people who remember buying comics as kids...... which is getting farther and farther into the past I think :frown: