• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing vs quick pressing THoughts from anyone that has done either/both??

21 posts in this topic

I have .. "some" books that i think probably should be run through a pressing of some sort.  

My questions are:  

The quick press i think if i understand correctly.. is just a press.. and the 'regular' press that takes much longer included some 'mild dry cleaning ?? ie removal of easy to clean stuff like maybe dirt/pencil marks, etc..?? right?

the other question is.. does it REALLY take 40 business days? I get theres a lot going on etc.. but seems like if there is an 8 week backup, maybe we need an additional person/press :)   Just wondering.. i dont want to send a book off and have it missing for 8 weeks for pressing and then 7 weeks for grading (if you dont do fast passes) unless I know up front.

THANKS!!!

35 minutes ago, comxdlr said:

I have .. "some" books that i think probably should be run through a pressing of some sort.  

My questions are:  

The quick press i think if i understand correctly.. is just a press.. and the 'regular' press that takes much longer included some 'mild dry cleaning ?? ie removal of easy to clean stuff like maybe dirt/pencil marks, etc..?? right?

the other question is.. does it REALLY take 40 business days? I get theres a lot going on etc.. but seems like if there is an 8 week backup, maybe we need an additional person/press :)   Just wondering.. i dont want to send a book off and have it missing for 8 weeks for pressing and then 7 weeks for grading (if you dont do fast passes) unless I know up front.

THANKS!!!

I have had books out for a while, two for quick press. I called in advance and asked about the differences. I was told a quick press is once thru and that's it. Full press may include additional passes and some hand work if necessary. I asked about whether a quick press also includes a dry clean and was told the press is the dry clean. Based on that, with just one NCB of difference-making concern on each book, I went quick press. Most anything else/more and I would have elected full.

I don't even think CCS even hydrates the books at all. Dry cleaning means the dirt and markings is actually removed by hand. They (so I think) they just press it and have a look at it, then press it again if they think it needs it. CCS gets so many books to press, do you really think they have the time and personal to sit there with each and every book to dry clean by hand?  or even spend hours in hydration?   I don't think so, unless you're paying them a % of FMV, They might. This is why learned to press myself, turnaround times is too much.  

On August 22, 2017 at 6:12 AM, Kevin76 said:

I don't even think CCS even hydrates the books at all. Dry cleaning means the dirt and markings is actually removed by hand. They (so I think) they just press it and have a look at it, then press it again if they think it needs it. CCS gets so many books to press, do you really think they have the time and personal to sit there with each and every book to dry clean by hand?  or even spend hours in hydration?   I don't think so, unless you're paying them a % of FMV, They might. This is why learned to press myself, turnaround times is too much.  

I understand; I'm just reporting words spoken to me when I asked on the phone. My interpretation/takeaway from that conversation was quick press was worth a shot for an NCB or two. I was just trying to understand when each level of service would be appropriate. The volume thing was of course on my mind too.

One thing you need to be aware of:  A buddy of mine told me one of my books only needed a quick press, so I asked for one at the CGC booth at a show.  I was told there was a minimum (high) number of books needed for submittal to be granted that option.

Full disclosure:  I've only had my books pressed by CCS and I've been extremely satisfied with the results.  That being said, I'd be curious to know what the turn around times are elsewhere.

On August 25, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Westy Steve said:

One thing you need to be aware of:  A buddy of mine told me one of my books only needed a quick press, so I asked for one at the CGC booth at a show.  I was told there was a minimum (high) number of books needed for submittal to be granted that option.

Full disclosure:  I've only had my books pressed by CCS and I've been extremely satisfied with the results.  That being said, I'd be curious to know what the turn around times are elsewhere.

I wonder if that's for onsite submissions only? I recently sent in a total of six books; four just for grade and two for quick press and grade.

10 hours ago, Earl Yoshihara said:

Can you provide names of the other services? How are their turn around times?

Go to Google and type "comic pressing" into the blank box. Press enter.

Since the CCS is owned by the CGC, who in turn own and operate this board, board members are not allowed to direct readers to the competition.

4 hours ago, newshane said:

Go to Google and type "comic pressing" into the blank box. Press enter.

Since the CCS is owned by the CGC, who in turn own and operate this board, board members are not allowed to direct readers to the competition.

Like you just did? :D   

On 9/3/2017 at 11:15 AM, Readcomix said:

I wonder if that's for onsite submissions only? I recently sent in a total of six books; four just for grade and two for quick press and grade.

It's not - but if you have a dealer account, the minimum is waived for the quick press.

OK :) additional question.. and I guess i may have to go to "ask CGC" for this.. but what about SS books.. 

Say i get a sketch cover (which i love to do :) ) and would like to get it pressed.. Im guessing that is available, though i guess ive never really checked when i did any... but wonder what if any issues it might have with the recently sketched cover.. 

Sorry I dont do my own pressing .. kinda like i dont do my own electrical work.. think maybe if i did it wrong.. id be... well shocked... in either case.. though im sure i could work on junk comics.. which wouldnt really be the case in electrical work.. 

Thanks for everyones responses.. I do like this forum as you do get lots of different perspectives.

On 9/14/2017 at 2:43 PM, comxdlr said:

OK :) additional question.. and I guess i may have to go to "ask CGC" for this.. but what about SS books.. 

Say i get a sketch cover (which i love to do :) ) and would like to get it pressed.. Im guessing that is available, though i guess ive never really checked when i did any... but wonder what if any issues it might have with the recently sketched cover.. 

Sorry I dont do my own pressing .. kinda like i dont do my own electrical work.. think maybe if i did it wrong.. id be... well shocked... in either case.. though im sure i could work on junk comics.. which wouldnt really be the case in electrical work.. 

Thanks for everyones responses.. I do like this forum as you do get lots of different perspectives.

People get signed & sketched books pressed all the time - as long as the presser knows what he/she is doing, it won't damage the artwork.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:12 AM, Kevin76 said:

Been pressing my own books for a while now, here are a few before and afters I just did.  

DDspinebefore.jpg

DDspineafter.jpg

DDuppercornerbefore.jpg

DDupperleftcornerafter.jpg

DDbarcodebefore.jpg

DDafterBarcode.jpg

DDbottomFCcornerbefore.jpg

DDcornerafterRB.jpg

ASM252Before.jpg

ASM252After.jpg

Very impressive work! I'm always amazed at how pressing when done correctly can make a book like new.. Great job!

I aksed this question directly too CCS at NYCC last year.  They said their quick press was once though no cleaning.  The normal press was worked on till it was the best possible, and some dry cleaning would be done to the book.  I had several books quicked pressed last year and they came out OK.  When I got them back there were still some defects that with the higher service would likely have been taken care of. But they did look better then when I gave them to CCS.