• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inside cover color and CGC grading

5 posts in this topic

Lets say a book has white pages, but the inside covers are fairly tanned (I have seen this several times). Does CGC take this into consideration when determining page color? I have seen many, many books where sellers claim the book is high grade with OW/W or W pages yet the cover is obviously tanning. 

If the answer is no, then why doesn't CGC note the inside cover color on the case? Wouldn't that help buyers quite a bit?

16 minutes ago, atomic1950s said:

Lets say a book has white pages, but the inside covers are fairly tanned (I have seen this several times). Does CGC take this into consideration when determining page color? I have seen many, many books where sellers claim the book is high grade with OW/W or W pages yet the cover is obviously tanning. 

If the answer is no, then why doesn't CGC note the inside cover color on the case? Wouldn't that help buyers quite a bit?

It is my understanding that the tanning of inside covers is taken into consideration for the grade, not the PQ.

While interior cover tanning is usually mentioned in the grading notes, I feel it should be mentioned in the slab, especially if it's serious tanning. I mention it in raw sales, except maybe for the odd inexpensive low grade book where it's fairly mild. Another thing never mentioned is suppleness of cover stock. There are plenty of books with at least slightly brittle cover stock, but unlike page quality, this never seems to be noted.