• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

Sometimes he’s the man beneath the Red Hood. In some instances he's a wannabe-comedian who took a tumble into a toxic vat of Ace Chemicals. In Tim Burton’s 'Batman' he's the killer of Bruce Wayne’s parents. And soon, we’re going to get a whole new origin story for one of the most iconic characters of all time – in comics, in films, in popular culture full-stop – in Todd Phillips’ _Joker_. A radical new take on the Clown Prince of Crime, inspired by Scorsese and the hard-edged urban cinema of the 1970s, this time it’s Joaquin Phoenix under the happy-face make-up – and it’s an incarnation that breaks all the rules around the ultimate rule-breaking character.

The August 2019 issue of _Empire_ – on sale from Thursday 11 July – takes a world-exclusive look inside the low-budget, hyper-intense comic book movie – and according to Phillips, it’s going to be its own unique beast. “We didn’t follow anything from the comic-books, which people are gonna be mad about,” the writer-director tells Empire. “We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from. That’s what was interesting to me. We’re not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker. It’s about this man.”

That man is Arthur Fleck – a vulnerable, damaged man who will eventually, inevitably, become the card-carrying psychopathic criminal who strikes out at Gotham City. And for the filmmakers, Phoenix was always the man for the role. “I think he’s the greatest actor,” says Phillips. “We had a photo of him above our computer while we were writing. We constantly thought, ‘God, imagine if Joaquin actually does this.’” We won't have to imagine – we'll see the finished film in all its glory in UK cinemas from 4 October.

Not borrowing from the comics is definitely a nice touch, and a good chunk of Scrosese's films touch on crime and the human psyche. Pretty exciting stuff!

Plus DC has been on a good streak since the disaster that was the Justice League movie with hits like the new Swamp Thing, Titans, Doom Patrol, and Shazam, so.

Edited by Skylath

When Todd Phillips’ _Joker_ hits the screen, audiences are in store for an intense, enthralling performance from Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck – the man who will eventually become the iconic, anarchic villain who gleefully terrorises Gotham City. But Phoenix isn’t the only acting heavyweight gracing the movie – in a key sequence, the unravelling Fleck will come face to face with talk show host Murray Franklin, played by none other than Robert De Niro. It’s set to be a showdown for the ages, the chance to see two of the greatest actors of all time play off against each other.

While you wouldn’t typically expect to see De Niro in a comic book movie – and this notably isn’t your typical comic book movie – it was Phillips and Scott Silver’s screenplay that hooked him in for the part. “Bob really loved the -script,” Phillips tells Empire in the August 2019 issue. “I met with him and said, ‘I’d be lying to you if I said we weren’t influenced by a lot of your movies.’ I talked with him about _Taxi Driver_ and about _The King Of Comedy_, which is one of my favourite movies of all time.”

The King Of Comedy connection is a fitting one to draw. Scorsese’s 1982 film starred De Niro as Rupert Pupkin – a wannabe-comedian who kidnaps a talk show host in order to get his shot at the big-time. Now he’s playing the opposite side of that dynamic – and even a bomb scare, which occurred on De Niro’s first day of Joker shooting, when an explosive device was delivered to his production office in Manhattan, couldn’t stop him joining the production. “We had FBI guys showing up to search the set,” Phillips recalls. “And I thought, ‘Oh god, what’s he gonna be like?’ And he comes in like it’s nothing, just ready to rock, knew his mess. He’s amazing.”

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Did Heath Ledger's Joker come directly from a comic book story, or was it inspired by it?

"Joker movie doesn't follow anything from the comics."

Batman and the Joker in The Dark Knight follow a lot of comic book stuff. This quote claims that the movie won't follow anything. That's concerning to me.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

"Joker movie doesn't follow anything from the comics."

Batman and the Joker in The Dark Knight follow a lot of comic book stuff. This quote claims that the movie won't follow anything. That's concerning to me.

I'll be concerned when I see the movie and I don't like what I am seeing. Looking for a reason to dislike a movie in advance isn't one of them.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

I'll be concerned when I see the movie and I don't like what I am seeing. Looking for a reason to dislike a movie in advance isn't one of them.

Don't confuse my concern with premeditated dislike. It's gonna lower my expectations based on that statement. I'm going to see a "Joker" movie, after all. It could still potentially be good or better even if it doesn't relate to the comics, but ultimately, I want it to relate to the comics. It's why I'm going in the first place.

6 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Don't confuse my concern with premeditated dislike. It's gonna lower my expectations based on that statement. I'm going to see a "Joker" movie, after all. It could still potentially be good or better even if it doesn't relate to the comics, but ultimately, I want it to relate to the comics. It's why I'm going in the first place.

It's clear the director is talking out of one side of his face, as the trailer was all about the 'One Bad Day' concept where things just start falling apart for the lead character. To include getting beat up more than once when he is at his lowest point.

The Killing Joke influencing this film comes across in the trailer. The film creators probably set this up where they can't be cornered into referencing just one backstory of the Joker's origin.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

It's clear the director is talking out of one side of his face, as the trailer was all about the 'One Bad Day' concept where things just start falling apart for the lead character. To include getting beat up more than once when he is at his lowest point.

The Killing Joke influencing this film comes across in the trailer. The film creators probably set this up where they can't be cornered into referencing just one backstory of the Joker's origin.

We'll see.

I'm still waiting for another (and better) trailer. The first one was fine, but I'd like to see one with a more dramatic tone, and little more Joker.

22 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

We'll see.

I'm still waiting for another (and better) trailer. The first one was fine, but I'd like to see one with a more dramatic tone, and little more Joker.

I'd rather they keep the film a mystery until it comes out. Otherwise, reveal too much and then people are complaining about that.

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I'd rather they keep the film a mystery until it comes out. Otherwise, reveal too much and then people are complaining about that.

:ph34r:

Most films have, what, 3 trailers?

Reuse half of the footage from Trailer 1 + 1:00 or so of new stuff + dramatic tone = satisfied?

BvS is one of the only movies that I think has been majorly spoiled via trailer.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

I was :censored:in' 2 years old when T2 came out...

I also didn't watch trailers when I was in middle school, so...

:roflmao:

I didn't want to say it. But you did.

:baiting:

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I was :censored:in' 2 years old when T2 came out...

I also didn't watch trailers when I was in middle school, so...

They kept the tradition alive and spoiled Terminator: Genisys via the trailer too.

(I didn't watch the video, so maybe that was on the list(shrug)).