• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Joker_IMDb01.PNG.ab7b793825da1e172e723e57ef601026.PNG

One key fact is this is most probably excitement than experience as otherwise WB did a pre-screening for a massive audience outside of VIFF. And 367 scored it a '1' to drive down the higher number.

BS articles like this are starting to make me think this is all nothing but hype.  

-J.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

They screened it to almost 9,000 people?  And all of them voted on IMDB?  I'm guessing most of these reviews (positive and negative) are internet warriors wanting to give this film a good or bad rating.  Critics have this at a better than average 75.  And I'm pretty sure they actually saw the film.

Exactly my point. The Metacritic critic rating has it at 75 right now.

38 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

BS articles like this are starting to make me think this is all nothing but hype.  

-J.

You should check this BS article also.

So there are critics and comicbook.com trying to imply Joker will motivate people to attacks others or even go as far as murder. Which is why the term 'loner incels' is being used towards folks excited to see the film. They forget there have been other comic book villains with destruction and murder messages.

DC_MCU_quotes01.PNG.7434fc8ca028eb2b3fcb18aab34cb8ce.PNG

But it seems Joker is more achievable for them to imply mass-attacks and society breakdown.

:facepalm:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

You should check this BS article also.

So there are critics and comicbook.com trying to imply Joker will motivate people to attacks others or even go as far as murder. Which is why the term 'loner incels' is being used towards folks excited to see the film. They forget there have been other comic book villains with destruction and murder messages.

DC_MCU_quotes01.PNG.7434fc8ca028eb2b3fcb18aab34cb8ce.PNG

But it seems Joker is more achievable for them to imply mass-attacks and society breakdown.

:facepalm:

I saw that too.  That really is just dumb isn't it.  meh

-J.

14 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

I saw that too.  That really is just dumb isn't it.  meh

-J.

The 'incel loner' term is being used a lot to categorize anyone excited to see the film.

Why Joker Is Sparking a Backlash Over Its Portrayal of Incel Violence

If you have been on the Internet for any given period, you've likely come across the term incel. For some, it's a catch-all insult directed at any misogynist, but in reality, the term refers to a specific type of person.

Incel is a portmanteau of "involuntary celibate," someone unable to find a sexual partner, despite a desire to have one. Most self-proclaimed incels are males who desire female partners. The incel community often believes women hate them because of their outward appearance. However, judging from their often-vindictive and hateful views of other people and the world, it's more often that they can't find a partner due to their sexist and antagonistic behavior.

Incels often hate other men, or "Chads," who they believe to "own" all the things they want due to their gifted positions in society. They also hate women for their "judgmental" views of men, as they believe women only want to date a "Chad," a wealthy person. Most incels believe the sole function of women is to fulfill the incel's sexual fantasies.

While most incels are simply unpleasant people, some bottle up their hatred for the world until they explode.

So it is men jealous of other men for having a relationship. Which to me from decades of experience with Joker has nothing to do with the character (see Harley Quinn).

10 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The primary difference being:

Heath Ledger's Joker was a complete surprise. He had never done anything in his acting career like that before.

Joaquin Phoenix was basically made for the role. No one will be surprised by his performance.

The Dark Knight is a Joker movie in a Batman-titled film. I just don't think there's a contest.

First of all I loved Heath Ledger as he was great as the Joker, but I am thinking Joaquin Phoenix will take the Joker farther to mainstream audiences.

btw going forward I think after  people see Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker the younger generation might actually think Joker is cooler than Batman.

We shall see. 

6 hours ago, Antpark said:

What I'm concerned with is people going in to see this one but expecting it to be like the other. From everything said and seen about the movie, it's basically a character study of one man's descent into despair and madness(ish). 

Will the general public go in with that foreknowledge and set their expectations accordingly, or will we hear a bunch of "No Batman!? No 'splosions?! This movie sucks! #DCFailz!!"

I'm just hoping it doesn't become another "critically acclaimed commercial flop", as I appreciate the fact that they decided to try something new here.

I sense after this movie the Joker will be considered cooler than Batman. My how times have changed. 

I know a bunch of people since 2008 after the great Ledger`s performance thought Joker was much more interesting than Batman.

I know after watching Smallville I found Lex Luthor much more interesting than Superman.

So I am saying we will see a big bump in the Joker`s ip.

The world has changed.

Load up on your Joker comic books now.

More people now are interested in anti-heroes.

21 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Not really for my part in that I think they can compliment each other - both as artists trying to make art as opposed to entertainment. I think it's playing the role of the Joker that can bring different things from different actors. I'd love to see a Joker trilogy with a different actor/actress for the Joker in each film exploring different facets of the character. I'm sure it would be a commercial bomb (but they wouldn't have to cost much) and it could be brilliant. 2c

I know Heath Ledger was the face in dark knight, but I thought I heard somewhere that there was 3 people who played that role, in that movie?

6 hours ago, Antpark said:

What I'm concerned with is people going in to see this one but expecting it to be like the other. From everything said and seen about the movie, it's basically a character study of one man's descent into despair and madness(ish). 

Will the general public go in with that foreknowledge and set their expectations accordingly, or will we hear a bunch of "No Batman!? No 'splosions?! This movie sucks! #DCFailz!!"

I'm just hoping it doesn't become another "critically acclaimed commercial flop", as I appreciate the fact that they decided to try something new here.

Yeah this is batman er joker meets something out of the mind of Thomas Harris or Dennis Lehane 

Joker never turned my crank-someone who's just CRAAAAAAAAAZZY!!! is so overdone it bores me to tears.  A lotta people seem to love the guy though.

Ps I've dealt with plenty of actual crazy people-they are nothing like the Joker.  Crazy and mastermind dont go together in reality.  

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Same with sophisticated psychopaths like hannibal lecter

The difference is lecter is well written-his thought processes are logical and believable.  Joker is just CRAAAAAAAAZY and totally unbelievable.  A person like lecter is possible-the inspiration for shelock holmes was a real person.  No giggling dolt madman has ever made his way to lead a criminal enterprise.