• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

See? How would any of us have known that without your sharing? So cool, and funny. :applause:

If I had to name 10 films I can watch repeatedly and not get bored with, the list would be:

1) Goon (2011)

2) Gentlemen Broncos

3) Big Trouble In Little China

4) Escape From New York

5) Watchmen: The Director's Cut

6) Signs

7) Zodiac

8) Spider-Man 2

9) Shaun of the Dead

10) Hellboy

How's that for taking a ride across multiple genres? :insane:

I recently saw Signs (I felt the same as you before) and there are many flaws in that movie that I just can’t watch it anymore 

the first two acts are great but the final act is a let down 

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

LOL @ critics tanking the RT score because they're "scared" of the film's "message".

It's a :censored:ing movie, people.

Shhhh. They are busy watching quality productions about relevant topics. Or at least viewers are. :insane:

RT_serialkillers01.PNG.d1ccb6a3cc2b7a6ba66cc0176999bf66.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

15 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I recently saw Signs (I felt the same as you before) and there are many flaws in that movie that I just can’t watch it anymore 

the first two acts are great but the final act is a let down 

I get it with the third act it doesn't flow as smoothly. I judge it on the entire experience, which probably helps me accept those flaws.

I love the cinematic work, too. When Phoenix is in the recruiter's office, and the interaction with him and that former HS classmate.

Ive come to understand how truly broken and off-course most media reviews are these days. Im surprised we still collectively give them the respect we still do. 

This movie will be good, if somewhat uncomfortable to watch and digest. I say sounds good to me. Its been a while since we have seen anything from the mainstream media that actually challenges instead of confirms our biases.

The good: Kudos for tackling a comic character this way

The bad: It feels like Todd Phillips borrowed too much from 70's films he worshiped at times

Overall: Fantastic, but not the best picture ever.

8.5/10

Edited by Bosco685

8 minutes ago, paperheart said:

not to sound any alarm bells but these #'s have come down steadily

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/joker

Definitely with RT.

Joker_RT.png.771b5736b2befaf85e05d8c41d854d5a.png

Those that call it ROTTEN either hate it completely, feel it promotes violence or even that it encourages young teenagers to shoot people. :pullhair:

Most of those VIFF "critics" were bought and paid for.

This was NEVER a "10 out of 10,  Five Star, Let's Just Start Handing Out the Oscars Now" movie.

That was hype to create "buzz". But that buzz was too early.  This movie is still three weeks away, and most of the TIFF crowd hated this thing.  Sorry, but this movie sounds rather contemptible to me as well, and it seems to me even WB knows it's going to be a "love it/hate it" affair to whatever masses show up for it.  

On that note, more recently, Variety now has it at $76MM on the low end for opening and even WB, in an apparent attempt to manage outlandish fanboy expectations has it at $50MM on the low end.  Both are a far cry from the absurd $100MM+ boxofficepro was spouting just a week ago. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/13/joker-projected-to-beat-venoms-opening-weekend-box-office-record%3famp=1

-J.

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Most of those VIFF "critics" were bought and paid for.

-J.

(:

'bought and paid for' = not reinforcing my negative statements

Tremendous storytelling, not a light film and takes its subject matter seriously - had me thinking about the subject deeply.

9.0/10