• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

Basically, if you are against this movie for its "problematic messaging" (Need to take a shower just for having said that phrase), you need to be consistent and call for the banning of all violent video games, movies, TV shows, News Coverage, and books. If you are, so be it I dont agree but at least its honest.

Or at least with the logical approach of those judging this film on its story and portrayal - and determining it is lacking based on this - that at least I can respect.

Unfortunately, some are bringing to bear their violence concerns to THIS film, yet have celebrated other productions with just as troubling a topic.

44 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

This is the most measured response I've read so far.

‘He is a psychopath’: has the 2019 Joker gone too far?

' "Make no mistake, this is a film that is going stir up trouble,” admitting he partly felt the film “should be locked in a strongbox then dropped in the ocean and never released” '

No. That was 'The Spirit'. Unfortunately, it found its way to the surface. :insane:

Joaquin Phoenix gives us a performance that you get but DO NOT want to copy - a staggering performance - but a straightforward -script. And a fantastic score that complements the movie to make scenes stand out as their own thing. I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

I just checked in to say that I'm hopefully going to see it as a "pre-screen" next Tuesday......

I'm excited but weary if that makes sense, I'm just looking to enjoy the film, with all the news it is hard to to "go in pre-judged" by all those media outlets I'm avoiding lol 

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I just checked in to say that I'm hopefully going to see it as a "pre-screen" next Tuesday......

I'm excited but weary if that makes sense, I'm just looking to enjoy the film, with all the news it is hard to to "go in pre-judged" by all those media outlets I'm avoiding lol 

I'm starting to get amped!!!!

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Maybe they should do what Howard Hughes did many years ago with one of his films. 

Just hold it for awhile. Label it too over the top for today. Maybe for a year. Everyone
can cry about the injustice and have a build up and the film would be a smash?

Brilliant 

I'm actually with @Jaydogrules on this re. its limited audience appeal and box office potential.

This one seems "made for the fans" in a way that won't translate to general public beyond its first two weekends -- it's basically an art-house film.

And that's great -- we need more of those -- great comic book movies well-told. Not every superhero (let alone comic book movie) needs to be a blockbuster.

So...even if it somehow does open in the $90-$100 million range (which would be *phenomenal* for a film that looks as character-driven & bleak as this) I see a domestic box office cap of $230-$240 million (ahem! "Doctor Strange numbers").

Won't matter, because I think it looks *amazing* and apparently was made for less than $60 million.

But the domestic audience for this is going to be far more narrow than many on this board seem to think.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm actually with @Jaydogrules on this re. its limited audience appeal and box office potential.

This one seems "made for the fans" in a way that won't translate to general public beyond its first two weekends -- it's basically an art-house film.

And that's great -- we need more of those -- great comic book movies well-told. Not every superhero (let alone comic book movie) needs to be a blockbuster.

So...even if it somehow does open in the $90-$100 million range (which would be *phenomenal* for a film that looks as character-driven & bleak as this) I see a domestic box office cap of $230-$240 million (ahem! "Doctor Strange numbers").

Won't matter, because I think it looks *amazing* and apparently was made for less than $60 million.

But the domestic audience for this is going to be far more narrow than many on this board seem to think.

Keep in mind, $230-240MM would put it well ahead of mass appeal critical darlings like Spider-verse and Shazam, as well as high worldwide earners like Justice League and even Venom.  It would also put is ahead of every single X men movie released, not named Deadpool.

Isn't a Watchman result (another weird, off kilter, bleak, art-housy style hero movie) that opened relatively strong for its day, but died quickly when word of mouth about its niche nature quickly spread) a more reasonable expectation, at least in the long term ? Also, with Addams Family and Gemini Man coming on the 11th, along with El Camino on Netflix, and then Maleficent and Z-land 2 the very next week, this movie will only be a one week #1 and will have an immediately crowded Halloween marketplace to challenge its potential legs week #2 onward.  Added in that October was a traditional dead zone for big openings until literally just last year, there is no precedence to support those kinds of numbers.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules