• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

Justin Chang from The Los Angeles Times gave the film a FRESH review at the VIFF 2019. But his video can lead you to assume he disliked the film. Confusing.

JustinChang01.PNG.6858107292c872eafea65de069ca85b5.PNG

I say this not to show any disdain for comic-book movies, but only to point out the well-established seasonal logic by which the film industry typically operates. The summer — the designated stomping ground for superheroes and super-villains — has finally passed, making way for the fall and its traditional bounty of ascetic art films, spit-shined prestige pictures and other subspecies of cinema that have no place in the Marvel and DC Comics universes.

That changed Saturday, when Venice hosted the much-anticipated world premiere of “Joker,” the fastidiously grim new movie starring Joaquin Phoenix as Batman’s greatest and most defiantly unhinged nemesis. Its high-profile fall premieres (it will screen next at the Toronto International Film Festival before its release Oct. 4 through Warner Bros.) are clearly meant to signal its artistic ambition and seriousness of intent, to reassure you that what you are about to experience will be anything but business as usual.

“Joker” is hardly the first movie inspired by comic-book characters to make a bid for high seriousness. “Black Panther” nabbed a slew of Academy Awards earlier this year, and Heath Ledger won a posthumous Oscar for his own indelibly terrifying performance as the Joker in “The Dark Knight.” It will be fascinating to see what that 2008 movie’s detractors, some of whom found it too sadistic and ponderous by half, make of the even darker and more despairing “Joker.” Certainly, there will be much more to say about this bleak, troubling and damnably accomplished movie before and after it reaches theaters, but for now, it’s already clear that this clown didn’t come to play.

20 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 9/28/2019 at 2:29 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I just checked in to say that I'm hopefully going to see it as a "pre-screen" next Tuesday......

I'm excited but weary if that makes sense, I'm just looking to enjoy the film, with all the news it is hard to to "go in pre-judged" by all those media outlets I'm avoiding lol 

Today's the DAY :) :wishluck: that I get seated :whee:

I got in, the Joker could have used this advice 

I will add one more thing about getting into the theater....

We had to have a "pass", our "pass" name was on a "list" that had to match, our ID's had to match the name on the pass, we were metal detect wanded everytime we'd exit or enter the theater to use the bathroom or anything....

They told us it was because, "they HAD received threats and were taking every precaution".... :eek: 

20 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

No such thing as bad publicity...

Exactly the approach WB Marketing/PR took with starting to quote negative reviews in its ads and then finally calling out enough interviews with Phillips and Phoenix had occurred and now it was time for audiences to assess the film for itself - and publicizing that decision.

Here are some not so favorable reviews/comments:

It is, however, a project drowning in self-seriousness. In his effort to bring realism to the Joker story, Phillips has lost his grasp on the character’s symbolic purpose, treating the audience to something undeniably visceral but also unacceptably shallow.

Bent on proving its distance from the comic-book-movie genre, Todd Phillips’s adaptation of a classic villain’s origin story is pompous, grim, and one-note.....

Joker" is, finally, so monotonously grandiose and full of its own pretensions that it winds up feeling puny and predictable. Like the anti-hero at its center, it's a movie trying so hard to be capital-b Big that it can't help looking small.

Haven't seen/read anything bad about Phoenix's performance though.  He seems to be getting praise from everyone.  

Just heard my first podcast interview with Joaquin ever on Chris Hardwick's show.  Kind of awkward and corny towards the start but got better as it went along.  Hardwick has had a rough time getting guests since his girlfriend trashed him during #MeToo last year; this is the biggest get I've seen from him since then.

https://player.fm/series/id10t-with-chris-hardwick/joaquin-phoenix

Edited by fantastic_four

32 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Here are some not so favorable reviews/comments:

Haven't seen/read anything bad about Phoenix's performance though.  He seems to be getting praise from everyone.  

Have posted a few negatives. Including the critic that is a big Batman fan, and she felt that was the thing missing for her in this film versus just a character focus on Joker. But she loved Phoenix's performance.

Edited by Bosco685

19 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Not that it matters a lick, but a flurry of bad reviews have brought its rating back down to 76%.

What's the lowest percentage a movie can have to get "fresh". Do they take it away if a movie falls beneath that ?

-J.

I think it has to go below 70%. 

Edited by Bosco685
CORRECTION