• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Or not. (:

I've never seen an interview with Joaquin Phoenix that WASN'T awkward; he was awkward with Chris Hardwick in the podcast link I posted yesterday.  He's got a bizarre personality.  The epitome of his weirdness is that time about a decade ago when he "retired" to do rap music that he later claimed was a reality performance piece.  He looks stoned on his trainwreck of an interview on David Letterman.

34 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

When did that change?  It used to be 60%.

It is 60% or better to be designated a FRESH overall rating.

But, since new critics can add their reviews after this, if that FRESH rating dips below 70% (how the heck does that work if 60% was the bar?), RT then removes the FRESH overall rating.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

But unfortunately the critics that used the 2012 Aurura shooting as their shining example 'Joker in films is REALLY BAD' leading to the victims' families even making a statement about this is not taking a stand on should comic book films include excessive violence. It's purposefully misrepresenting history to encourage not to see a film. Not so innocent as 'I need my hero in a villain film'. There is a difference with that strong stance to wave of movie-goers from a film.

And the social justice warrior message is quite strong in many of these rotten reviews.

FLICKFILOSOPHER: Joker movie review: sad clown, bad clown, not at all a rad clown

:facepalm:

It’s always a slippery slope.  I believe that you are correct that this is a jaded and crazed reviews. I didn’t know you had to be anything other than a white male in order to have a bad day. 

But it is still a slippery slope. I was recently in a meeting when someone remarked that women were not receiving equal pay while fulfilling the same role and putting in the same time with the same credentials while having the same productivity levels as someone that was making more. Someone remarked with the eyeroll tone of “here we go, another SJW...” 

really ?  I just turned and told him he is a f’n idy-yot shrugged and went back to my non-attention to the meeting. 

There are some real striking inequities that still exist.  Recently I saw the same conductor  throw a POC off the train for not having a ticket under the the threat of calling the police while a few months ago he let a white woman get a pass and stay on the train.  

I guess it is to a matter of degree and how much people want to twist things.  

I think that the warnings about the shootings have some merit, not because it’s actually going to happen but because the thoughts that it may happen is real.  If I were to tell you that someone shot up a movie theater or another school tomorrow, would you even blink?  I’ve become desensitized due to the frequency of these events. 

Either way I’m headed to NYCC - work asked me to do some things for them while I am there - and then I will be around the place over the course of the weekend.  At the earliest I won’t catch Joker until next weekend if that.  

18 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I think that the warnings about the shootings have some merit, not because it’s actually going to happen but because the thoughts that it may happen is real.  If I were to tell you that someone shot up a movie theater or another school tomorrow, would you even blink?  I’ve become desensitized due to the frequency of these events. 

Either way I’m headed to NYCC - work asked me to do some things for them while I am there - and then I will be around the place over the course of the weekend.  At the earliest I won’t catch Joker until next weekend if that.  

Isn't that the shame nowadays? Kids having to do active shooter drills in schools with their teachers, excessive news on new shootings where the details start to bleed over between the events where you can't even track them moving forward and now when going to a theater having to check which door to bolt out of if someone starts shooting. Crazy times!

But I am very disappointed in your comic book film dedication. :baiting:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

For those saying 'does RT ratings matter' to studios and audiences:

Sure it does for the general audience attraction that doesn't know any better.

Hey Bosco, WTF is going on here, RT is down to 70 now?

Literally, had the aggregate site waited half an hour, this would not have gotten a "fresh" rating.  

If I were the conspiracy theorist type, i would say they deliberately withheld all of these scathing reviews for the sole purpose of getting it to "fresh" status.  As it is, a movie in the 70 percentile being "certified fresh" is slightly ludicrous on its face.  

-J.

18 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Hey Bosco, WTF is going on here, RT is down to 70 now?

Literally, had the aggregate site waited half an hour, this would not have gotten a "fresh" rating.  

If I were the conspiracy theorist type, i would say they deliberately withheld all of these scathing reviews for the sole purpose of getting it to "fresh" status.  As it is, a movie in the 70 percentile being "certified fresh" is slightly ludicrous on its face.  

-J.

Reviewers took offense to Phillips stating recently he got out of comedy because critics are so harsh and people are overly sensitive to jokes nowadays. So they are letting him know their thoughts.

RT_Joker02.png.b339bd03348168a8e4546a4f7ca7aa9f.png

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Reviewers took offense to Phillips stating recently he got out of comedy because critics are so harsh and people are overly sensitive to jokes nowadays. So they are letting him know their thoughts.

RT_Joker02.png.b339bd03348168a8e4546a4f7ca7aa9f.png

If that's true, that's just beyond stupid.  

-J.

this is probably gonna open a can of worms (hey why not as I'm bored and trying to put off packing for an upcoming trip) and it's not my usual I hate all modern movie kinda posts, but I have noticed something of interest with this Joker movie:

An old girlfriend who is a hollywood costume designer is crazy about all these superhero movies. I actually got her into comics back in the late 80s on a film when I gave her my Batman : The Cult miniseries by Bernie Wrightson (which the dumb b.... lost). Anyhow she's caucasian (can I say white?)  and goes on and on on Facebook about how this minority is now gonna be superhero movie, Magneto is gonna be black and trans in the next X-men movie and so on. She had a thousand posts about Black Panther. You get the idea. Virtue signaling maybe. Or maybe not. I dunno. 

But not one word on her Facebook about The Joker movie. Not a single peep. And she posts endlessly on every superhero movie.

Edited by NoMan

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

this is probably gonna open a can of worms (hey why not as I'm bored and trying to put off packing for an upcoming trip) and it's not my usual I hate all modern movie kinda posts, but I have noticed something of interest with this Joker movie:

An old girlfriend who is a hollywood costume designer is crazy about all these superhero movies. I actually got her into comics back in the late 80s on a film when I gave her my Batman : The Cult miniseries by Bernie Wrightson (which the dumb lost). Anyhow she's white and goes on and on on Facebook about how this minority is now gonna be superhero movie, Magneto is gonna be black and trans in the next X-men movie and so on. You get the idea. Virtue signaling maybe. Or maybe not. I dunno. 

But not one word on her Facebook about The Joker movie. Not a single peep.

Joker isn't a superhero movie.

21 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

If that's true, that's just beyond stupid.  

-J.

‘Joker’ Director Todd Phillips Said He Left Comedy Because Of ‘Woke Culture’

Phillips said in the feature published Tuesday:

“Go try to be funny nowadays with this woke culture. There were articles written about why comedies don’t work anymore — I’ll tell you why, because all the funny guys are like, ’ this mess, because I don’t want to offend you. It’s hard to argue with 30 million people on Twitter. You just can’t do it, right? So you just go, ‘I’m out.’ I’m out, and you know what? With all my comedies — I think that what comedies in general all have in common — is they’re irreverent. So I go, ‘How do I do something irreverent, but comedy? Oh I know, let’s take the comic book movie universe and turn it on its head with this.’ And so that’s really where that came from.”

The result was “The Joker,” a dark superhero film with little CGI and a plot that the magazine described as a “critique of Hollywood” that centers around “an alienated white guy whose failure to be funny drives him into a vengeful rage.”

Ignoring what they did to Dave Chappelle's comedy special 'Sticks & Stones' where they trashed his show, critics then started noting he should leave Hollywood completely if he can't handle the reviews.

:facepalm:

57 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Joker isn't a superhero movie.

Is the girl Joker movie (Harlan Quinn or whatever) a superhero movie cause she's posting up a storm about that one.

Hey I'm gonna post on her facebook that she should see the Joker cause it's a great and important film. I'll report back to you cats how much S... I get

Edited by NoMan

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Is the girl Joker movie (Harlan Quinn or whatever) a superhero movie cause she's posting up a storm about that one.

Harley Quinn ain't a female Joker... The Birds of Prey movie is supposed to be similar to Suicide Squad.

She's probably posting about that one because she's a feminist? Idk. Joker is also dark. Some people can't handle realistic and dark movies (see: Batman v Superman).

54 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Harley Quinn ain't a female Joker... The Birds of Prey movie is supposed to be similar to Suicide Squad.

She's probably posting about that one because she's a feminist? Idk. Joker is also dark. Some people can't handle realistic and dark movies (see: Batman v Superman).

she's kinda dark. I don't think that's it.