• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

A lot of the opinions on this subject are polarized, but yours are more nuanced.  Yet I'm still unclear--are you saying that a film (or any other work of media) can have an impact on a person, or that it can't?

I don't really care how much this film, or a Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Rob Zombie film, glorifies violence, it should still be made.  But to say that they have ZERO impact on anyone, much less an imbalanced mind, isn't accurate.  

To reiterate a point I made a few weeks ago--ALL of these movies should be made, and I suspect a Devil's Rejects or a Joker has an overall positive effect on society as a whole.

I recently had to wrestle a person who was visiting in my house to keep them from committing suicide. It was all kind of sudden and unexpected. 

Along with this movie that should spark as much common sense that there are "crazies" or imbalanced people out there. 

There is no blanket statement that the media could say that would be perfect and not spark fear. I get now that it was only a warning to create awareness though. 

So I might have blown it out of proportion.... :eek:

yes, this movie is a bit of a psycho thriller, but with the theater I went to nonchalantly saying they had received "threats" and now to enjoy the movie.... just backed me into a corner a bit.

As I said there is no "perfect" way or announcement that will prepare people for their reactions to this film. But the warnings may just reinforce those feelings for some. I wish that we could do without the fear, but necessity sometimes over rides and I'm ok with that.

edit: in short I totally agree with the statement above that fragile minds are affected by these kinds of movies, but would go further that any victims would have a hard time with it too. I just hope the fear doesn't put the mental health issue into a corner, there are people that can be helped and want help, I just hope they can get help without the stigma preventing that.... a small thing but something to think about on both sides of the coin....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

45 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I recently had to wrestle a person who was visiting in my house to keep them from committing suicide. It was all kind of sudden and unexpected. 

Along with this movie that should spark as much common sense that there are "crazies" or imbalanced people out there. 

There is no blanket statement that the media could say that would be perfect and not spark fear. I get now that it was only a warning to create awareness though. 

So I might have blown it out of proportion.... :eek:

yes, this movie is a bit of a psycho thriller, but with the theater I went to nonchalantly saying they had received "threats" and now to enjoy the movie.... just backed me into a corner a bit.

As I said there is no "perfect" way or announcement that will prepare people for their reactions to this film. But the warnings may just reinforce those feelings for some. I wish that we could do without the fear, but necessity sometimes over rides and I'm ok with that.

edit: in short I totally agree with the statement above that fragile minds are affected by these kinds of movies, but would go further that any victims would have a hard time with it too. I just hope the fear doesn't put the mental health issue into a corner, there are people that can be helped and want help, I just hope they can get help without the stigma preventing that.... a small thing but something to think about on both sides of the coin....

That's deep

@Bosco685 Without any spoilers (since this is the first official day of the movie's release)... do you want to start a separate discussion for Joker spoiler conversation?  This movie basically begs for immediate interpretation and plot discussion, and it's likely that some people following this topic are interested in avoiding spoilers for at least a few weeks.

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

@Bosco685 Without any spoilers (since this is the first official day of the movie's release)... do you want to start a separate discussion for Joker spoiler conversation?  This movie basically begs for immediate interpretation and plot discussion, and it's likely that some people following this topic are interested in avoiding spoilers for at least a few weeks.

Good point. This film is going to drive deep discussion. :foryou:

Very uneventful. I can’t believe Scorsese attached his name to this film. Makes it look like people with mental illness are land mines waiting to explode & should just be locked up before they cause a massacre. I don’t think Joker works without Batman. 

An amazing film. Phoenix nails it. So many scenes that made me uncomfortable and downright scared. Cinematography is.top drawer, the music gets under your skin in the same way that Arthur does. I'm totally floored by this movie. It might be the best film ever derived from a comic book character. Definitely a 10.