• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Oddball said:

His distressed laugh at times was nearly heart breaking.

Right there is the description I was trying to put my finger on - heart-breaking. You really felt terrible for him and his condition for a portion of the film because of this.

DEADLINE: Warner Bros. Laughing All The Way To The Bank With ‘Joker’: $94M Debut Reps Records For October

Updated, Late Friday PM w/chart: Joker continues to rob a record amount of cash from the October box office with Friday looking at an increased $39.8M, now putting the Warner Bros./Village Roadshow/Bron Studios pic’s 3-day at $94M. One rival distribution source believes that Joker, in play at 73 offshore territories, is heading to a worldwide opening between $188M-$194M. That would be right behind Venom‘s opening October global record of $207.4M.

Deadline_BO01.PNG.cb7d192216c6de077017a606aca7abce.PNG

For director Todd Phillips, Joker reps a career opening record, besting the 3-day domestic start of The Hangover 2 ($85.9M). It’s also an opening record for Joaquin Phoenix,  far exceeding the $60.1M 2002 opening of Signs, and a great major studio comeback for the three time Oscar nominee who has starred of late in a string of indie pics like Mary Magdalene, the Sisters Brothers and You Were Never Really Here. And for Robert De Niro, even though he’s a supporting player in this, Joker reps his biggest domestic B.O. opening of all-time, ahead of Shark Tale ($47.6M).

From a distance, some rival studio insiders may say that Warners always had this edgy R-rated DC movie from its Hangover director Phillips and producers Bradley Cooper and Emma Tillinger Koskoff in the bag; that it was an easy 3-point shot at the B.O. with the groundswell of raves out of TIFF and Venice, the Golden Lion win at the latter, and tracking’s full-on belief in a $80M-$90M opening.

But with Universal pulling its Blue State vs. Red State Blumhouse thriller The Hunt from theaters in the wake of a spree of late summer mass shootings, it was truly unpredictable how audiences and fanboys would respond to Joker for myriad reasons.

Edited by Bosco685

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Anyone have parents or grandparents bring kids?

I had a grandmother bring her grandson and near the end he was crying into her armpit. It is that intense!

No. Do not bring kids to the R-Rated Joker film.

I took my daughter who is 15. Of course she’s desensitized to violence from Netflix. She went in thinking she would not like the movie and told me she loved it after. Said it was sad and awesome. 

12 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I took my daughter who is 15. Of course she’s desensitized to violence from Netflix. She went in thinking she would not like the movie and told me she loved it after. Said it was sad and awesome. 

The kid I saw had to be 11-12 years old, and even my friend looked at me when they sat down in front of us. But during a key scene near the end between Arthur and his mom, he lost it and curled into grandma's armpit.

It was very sad to see.

On 10/3/2019 at 4:14 PM, paperheart said:

fairly typical, the RT is a yes/no toggle, the Metacritic is an actual average of critical scores. and there goes the RT below 70.  must've been something in the water in Venice.

Rumor is it was a Purple People Eater Halloween smoothie.

purple_people_eater.PNG.50c459264bdf2ebd9332b4dbe66dc561.PNG

emotion01.gif.ea0ac25fcf07aea362d61b9c838295a4.gif