• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

I doubt Todd will ever replicate this success again. As much as I enjoyed Joker, it was an anomaly that really shouldn’t have achieved the box office it did. I’ve never been one to follow the numbers but this one has been a wild and interesting ride since it defied/exceeded expectations. It had a lot going against it as well. Joker could be brilliant if you never watched a Scorsese movie. But I have so to me it's not. Too many elements copied whether in tribute or not. I felt like this is Todd envisioning a Scorsese Joker and then directing it in that manner. But I forced those movies Joker borrows heavily from out of my head when I watched it and I enjoyed it mainly for the powerhouse acting ability of its lead.

3 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I doubt Todd will ever replicate this success again. As much as I enjoyed Joker, it was an anomaly that really shouldn’t have achieved the box office it did. I’ve never been one to follow the numbers but this one has been a wild and interesting ride since it defied/exceeded expectations. It had a lot going against it as well. Joker could be brilliant if you never watched a Scorsese movie. But I have so to me it not. Too many elements copied whether in tribute or not. I felt like this is Todd envisioning a Scorsese Joker and then directing it in that manner. But I forced those movies Joker borrows heavily from out of my head when I watched it and I enjoyed it mainly for the powerhouse acting ability of its lead. 

Without Joaquin Phoenix, I think this wouldn't have come together so powerfully. Including his massive (52 pound) weight loss to capture that Joker gangley appearance.

45 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I doubt Todd will ever replicate this success again. As much as I enjoyed Joker, it was an anomaly that really shouldn’t have achieved the box office it did. I’ve never been one to follow the numbers but this one has been a wild and interesting ride since it defied/exceeded expectations. It had a lot going against it as well. Joker could be brilliant if you never watched a Scorsese movie. But I have so to me it's not. Too many elements copied whether in tribute or not. I felt like this is Todd envisioning a Scorsese Joker and then directing it in that manner. But I forced those movies Joker borrows heavily from out of my head when I watched it and I enjoyed it mainly for the powerhouse acting ability of its lead.

This is an interesting point because the Scorsese movies you are seeing copied/tribute within Joker are movies that I would guess 98% of Joker audience members have never seen.  It's quite similar in music where a massive #1 hit comes out of nowhere for 30 weeks on the charts, but it's a rehash of already popular music from 30 or 40 years ago with a slightly current slant.  The difference on music is that songs are 3 or 4 minutes, so most people have heard decades of music, but most haven't seen decades of movies (particularly from before their birth).

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This is an interesting point because the Scorsese movies you are seeing copied/tribute within Joker are movies that I would guess 98% of Joker audience members have never seen.  It's quite similar in music where a massive #1 hit comes out of nowhere for 30 weeks on the charts, but it's a rehash of already popular music from 30 or 40 years ago with a slightly current slant.  The difference on music is that songs are 3 or 4 minutes, so most people have heard decades of music, but most haven't seen decades of movies (particularly from before their birth).

Great points. Yesterday, my daughter freaked out when she heard me watching the intro to the original tv show The Munsters on YouTube. Apparently the tune is used in a current song from a group she listens to. She had no idea and thought the catchy tune was original to the new song.

As of 10/31, Joker is now #4 on the DC Top 10 Films List across all 36 live and animated productions since 1978, not adjusting for inflation.

DC_MCU_BO191102a.thumb.JPG.59c5306edcb605d06349ec9e5e861dcc.JPG

It may not catch up to The Dark Knight. But wow. What a run it has had! :applause:

THR: Box Office Bonanza: 'Joker' Crosses $900M Worldwide

The R-rated pic starring Joaquin Phoenix is a huge win for Warner Bros and director Todd Phillips.

Fall blockbuster Joker racked up another milestone on Saturday when crossing the $900 million in worldwide ticket sales.

Director Todd Phillips' R-rated pic starring Joaquin Phoenix in the titular role is a huge win for Warner Bros. and DC, particularly since it isn't a traditional superhero movie.

Joker, costing a relatively modest $60 million to produce before marketing, is now assured of generating profits of $500 million or more for Warners and partners Village Roadshow and Bron Studios.

On 11/1/2019 at 4:19 PM, valiantman said:

Count me 'in' as part of that group. Joker is new to me.