• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JOKER: THE MOVIE produced by Martin Scorsese (TBD)
1 1

1,790 posts in this topic

As of Day 40 (11/12) and its international box office updates, Joker now at 18.1X production budget.

Only $6.1M away from hitting $1B worldwide.

DC_MCU_BO191114a.thumb.JPG.376d959333cb851fde753d93eb050009.JPG

Top markets:

$315.7M USA/Canada
$68.3M UK
$43.7M Mexico
$40.5M Japan
$38.8M France
$38.6M S. Korea
$35.7M German
$34.6M Brazil
$31M Italy
$30M Russia

All from a small-budget R-Rated Drama/Thriller. :applause:

Todd Phillips wasn't thinking sequel when he made Joker. Still, the director has some idea of what he would want should a second movie be on the table (and with the record-breaking success of his King of Comedy-esque take on a comic book origin story, it has to be).

“It couldn’t just be this wild and crazy movie about the ‘Clown Prince of Crime,'” Phillips told the Los Angeles Times. “It would have to have some thematic resonance in a similar way that [Joker] does...I think that’s ultimately why the movie connected, it’s what’s going on underneath. So many movies are about the spark, and this is about the powder. If you could capture that again in a real way, that would be interesting.”

In the same piece, Joaquin Phoenix detailed his initial reluctance to take on a role in the world of comic book movies. “I remember, like eight years ago, I was told, ‘Movies are changing. They’re not making the movies that you want to make, so you’ve got to do one of these,’” Phoenix said. “It makes sense. It probably is a good strategy. But for me, I guess the fear was that you’d get locked into doing something repeatedly that you don’t really care about, that doesn’t motivate you or excite you.”

Even with his hesitation, Phillips said he knew he wanted Phoenix for the role, due to the actor's penchant for zigging where others would zag. “There’s a little wildness in Joaquin’s eyes,” Phillips said. “I jokingly say he seems like an agent of chaos. He likes blurring the line between what’s real and what’s not. Just based on what I’d seen of him in movies or on TV doing interviews, there was something about that chaotic nature that just felt right.”

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

As of Day 40 (11/12) and its international box office updates, Joker now at 18.1X production budget.

Only $6.1M away from hitting $1B worldwide.

DC_MCU_BO191114a.thumb.JPG.376d959333cb851fde753d93eb050009.JPG

Top markets:

$315.7M USA/Canada
$68.3M UK
$43.7M Mexico
$40.5M Japan
$38.8M France
$38.6M S. Korea
$35.7M German
$34.6M Brazil
$31M Italy
$30M Russia

All from a small-budget R-Rated Drama/Thriller. :applause:

Domestic updated!

DC_MCU_BO191114c.thumb.JPG.84d91762ac84198d11b2260b93e34f10.JPG

Now only $5.5M from achieving a $1B worldwide total, and $10.5M to match The Dark Knight. 

Joker will pass $1 billion worldwide today, on the second anniversary of the overseas release of Justice League.

As it enters its seventh weekend, Joker has a new domestic total of $316.692 million and a global cume of around $998 million worldwide. So today should be the day that Joker passes the $1 billion mark. The $62.5 million-budgeted DC Films flick crosses the $1 billion mark in raw global grosses. It’ll be, obviously, the first R-rated movie to hit this milestone and the third non-Disney/Universal movie to do so in just under a year. Prior to Warner Bros.’ Aquaman ($1.048 billion in 2018/2019) and Sony’s Spider-Man: Far from Home ($1.031 billion in 2019), no movie not from Disney or Universal had passed the $1 billion milestone since Paramount’s Transformers: Age of Extinction in 2014.

To be fair, changing exchange rates just between 2012 and 2014 arguably prevented Warner Bros.’ last two Hobbit movies from passing the milestone in 2013 and 2014, but $2.931 billion over three movies isn’t chump change. By the way, in 2012 we had four $1 billion grossers in one year, with two from WB (The Dark Knight Rises and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey), one from Disney (The Avengers) and one from Sony (Skyfall). Two of those were 2-D flicks and none of them earned more than $86 million in China. Dark Knight Rises ($52 million), The Hobbit ($58 million), Skyfall ($59 million) and The Avengers ($86 million) treated China as essentially a bonus.

The two $1 billion earners in 2013, Iron Man 3 and Frozen, earned $121 million and $48 million in China, hefty sums (especially for the MCU sequel), but not deal breakers as both films topped $1.2 billion overall. Granted, Frozen earned a jaw-dropping $249 million in Japan, but that’s for another day. Conversely, Paramount’s Transformers 4 earned $320 million of its $1.1 billion in China, making it essentially the first movie to get over the milestone thanks to China. That would be an occasional circumstance over the next four years, although less frequent than you might think.

Speaking of which, once it passes The Dark Knight, presumably tomorrow, it’ll be (in raw unadjusted grosses) the biggest grossing movie ever to never play in China. For the record, to the extent that Joker didn’t need China to top $1 billion, The Wandering Earth and Ne Zha didn’t need North America to end up over/under $700 million. And yeah, it’s thanks to the $620 million in China that Marvel’s Avengers: Endgame, not Fox’s Avatar, is the biggest global grosser of all time. Nonetheless, it also broke pretty much all the modern rules in terms of what kind of movie, especially in a post-Avatar era, passes $1 billion worldwide.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:53 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I'm actually with @Jaydogrules on this re. its limited audience appeal and box office potential.

This one seems "made for the fans" in a way that won't translate to general public beyond its first two weekends -- it's basically an art-house film.

And that's great -- we need more of those -- great comic book movies well-told. Not every superhero (let alone comic book movie) needs to be a blockbuster.

So...even if it somehow does open in the $90-$100 million range (which would be *phenomenal* for a film that looks as character-driven & bleak as this) I see a domestic box office cap of $230-$240 million (ahem! "Doctor Strange numbers").

Won't matter, because I think it looks *amazing* and apparently was made for less than $60 million.

But the domestic audience for this is going to be far more narrow than many on this board seem to think.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:12 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Keep in mind, $230-240MM would put it well ahead of mass appeal critical darlings like Spider-verse and Shazam, as well as high worldwide earners like Justice League and even Venom.  It would also put is ahead of every single X men movie released, not named Deadpool.

Isn't a Watchman result (another weird, off kilter, bleak, art-housy style hero movie) that opened relatively strong for its day, but died quickly when word of mouth about its niche nature quickly spread) a more reasonable expectation, at least in the long term ? Also, with Addams Family and Gemini Man coming on the 11th, along with El Camino on Netflix, and then Maleficent and Z-land 2 the very next week, this movie will only be a one week #1 and will have an immediately crowded Halloween marketplace to challenge its potential legs week #2 onward.  Added in that October was a traditional dead zone for big openings until literally just last year, there is no precedence to support those kinds of numbers.  

-J.

On 9/26/2019 at 5:31 PM, paperheart said:
On 9/14/2019 at 6:56 PM, paperheart said:

not to sound any alarm bells but these #'s have come down steadily

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/joker

On 9/6/2019 at 2:51 PM, Jaydogrules said:

What "demographics" are specifically interested in something like this?

You ain't touching $80MM let alone $100MM in October without families.  

And unlike "It", which was an absurdly and un-scary soft "R" rating that had a bunch of kids, and Deadpool, which only got an "R" due to its excessive comedic raunch, Joker is a hard "R" (something I actually like), low budget self styled down and dirty, grungy wannabe "art house" piece. 

So other than die hard fanboys, disaffected adolescent males who live on the internet, and fans of art house grunge cinema, who else is going to get you to those delusional, hyped up numbers ?  Because I don't know a single person who follows critical reaction from obscure movie festivals or use that as a basis for going to see a movie.  Especially when, as of now, there are still only a very small handful of reviews actually in.

-J.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:04 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Wait, JOKER was made by the guy who did those Hangover movies? Hmm...

On 9/15/2019 at 10:15 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Most of those VIFF "critics" were bought and paid for.

This was NEVER a "10 out of 10,  Five Star, Let's Just Start Handing Out the Oscars Now" movie.

That was hype to create "buzz". But that buzz was too early.  This movie is still three weeks away, and most of the TIFF crowd hated this thing.  Sorry, but this movie sounds rather contemptible to me as well, and it seems to me even WB knows it's going to be a "love it/hate it" affair to whatever masses show up for it.  

On that note, more recently, Variety now has it at $76MM on the low end for opening and even WB, in an apparent attempt to manage outlandish fanboy expectations has it at $50MM on the low end.  Both are a far cry from the absurd $100MM+ boxofficepro was spouting just a week ago. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/13/joker-projected-to-beat-venoms-opening-weekend-box-office-record%3famp=1

-J.

On 10/3/2019 at 4:14 PM, paperheart said:

fairly typical, the RT is a yes/no toggle, the Metacritic is an actual average of critical scores. and there goes the RT below 70.  must've been something in the water in Venice.

Jeez, fellas. I hope your concerns are unfounded. You probably know best with these things.

DC_MCU_BO191115e.thumb.JPG.40e7eea92e216153d09a3b54d7e603fc.JPG

(:

emotion01.gif.adb7bad9fa7a541bd0f50de276e403de.gif

:baiting:

29 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Jeez, fellas. I hope your concerns are unfounded. You probably know best with these things.

(:

Make no mistake, while I very much enjoyed Joker and thought Phoenix was masterful, I don't think it's a masterpiece of filmmaking or even in my Top 10 comic book movies. I've already seen Taxi Driver and King of Comedy and they're better movies.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Make no mistake, while I very much enjoyed Joker and thought Phoenix was masterful, I don't think it's a masterpiece of filmmaking or even in my Top 10 comic book movies. I've already seen Taxi Driver and King of Comedy and they're better movies.

emotion01.gif.c28c8bccb64531a08a2fdaa5b4a303fa.gif

joker.thumb.JPG.e31bc49422648e498574b44464133600.JPG

Warner Bros/Village Roadshow/Bron Studios’ Joker is dancing across the $1B global box office mark today, becoming the first R-rated movie ever to the milestone.

It is Warner Bros.’ 7th film to cross $1 billion behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($1.34B), Aquaman ($1.148B), Lord of the Rings: Return of the King ($1.12B), Dark Knight Rises ($1.08B), Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey ($1.01B), and Dark Knight ($1B). Among Warner Bros.-DC  titles, Joker is the 4th to clear the billion mark. A few weeks ago, Joker flew past The Matrix Reloaded and Deadpool 2 as the highest grossing R-rated pic of all-time.

In a stunning turn, the Todd Phillips-directed origins story joins The Dark Knight and Pirates Of The Caribbean 2: Dead Man’s Chest as films to reach such a figure without the benefit of a China release during their original runs. The global cume through Thursday is $999.1M global with $317M stateside through yesterday.

Joker is an original reinvention of the familiar mythology and a unique standalone story that introduces Phoenix as Fleck, a man struggling to find his way in Gotham’s fractured society. A clown-for-hire by day, he aspires to be a stand-up comic at night, but finds the joke always seems to be on him. Caught in a cyclical existence between apathy and cruelty, Arthur makes one bad decision that brings about a chain reaction of escalating events.The decision to world premiere a comic book at the Venice Film Festival was a bold risk by Warner Bros. Money-wise, it has certainly paid off (see here for Deadline’s dive into potential profits from a few weeks ago, a number that will be well north of a half billion).

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

(:

Sez the guy who had so much faith in this turd that he refused to even give a prediction beforehand.  (shrug)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

6 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Sez the guy who had so much faith in this turd that he refused to even give a prediction beforehand.  (shrug)

-J.

I don't post predictions on most films. Why was this one THE film I should change my approach? (shrug)

But at least you gave it your best negative effort.

emotion01.gif.eee41f3de0e5bf97bfb1eac899815f66.gif

Edited by Bosco685

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I don't post predictions on most films. Why was this one THE film I should change my approach? (shrug)

But at least you gave it your best negative effort.

emotion01.gif.eee41f3de0e5bf97bfb1eac899815f66.gif

But right on...

Venom, Shazam, Spider-verse, Hobbs and Shaw, etc.  And that's just in the last 12 months. 

Not bad, considering I don't get paid to make box office predictions.  :whistle:

-J.

4 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

But right on...

Venom, Shazam, Spider-verse, Hobbs and Shaw, etc.  And that's just in the last 12 months. 

Not bad, considering I don't get paid to make box office predictions.  :whistle:

-J.

You're a legend. :applause: